Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my old Honda Accord, my love of detailing dwindled significantly due to a bad paint job on the hood (rock chips everywhere) and clear coat failure that had started to hit the car in spots. I would get done detailing and just be sad. :(

But now I have my baby and on the one week anniversary of owning her I will be giving her a full detail. Here's my plan:

1. Start with a wash with Dawn dish soap to strip all the wax that may be on there.

2. Clean rims with Eagle Rim and Tire cleaner.

3. Once I have dried the car I am going to start with my Mother's Claybar to remove all the contaminants in the paint.

4. Ready my Porter Cable 7424XP orbital buffer.

5. Buff with Meguiar's M105 Ultra-Cut Compound.

6. Buff with Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish.

7. Seal with my favorite long lasting sealant Collinite 845 Insulator Wax.

8. Vacuum out car, wipe down surfaces, Lexol leather bolsters.

9. Use Invisible Glass to clean windows. Use vinegar to remove water spots on outside of windows/side mirrors. (vinegar is not safe for tint)

10. Hand polish rims with Collinite 845 and dress tires with Black Magic Titanium Tire Wet Gel.

I'll try and take some pictures along the way. It should take a good chunk of the day Saturday but it will be nice to see this car all dolled-up and looking its best. :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Should make that indigo blue shine :thumbsup:

I can get my silver to shine real nice with 2 coats of M Seal. Rain washes most stuff right off. A quick wash and dry makes it look new again although silver hides dirt pretty darn good. Takes a few minutes and saves $15 at the car wash & does a better job. I have probably put on 6 coats of the M Seal over the summer...guess I've had a really boring summer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should make that indigo blue shine :thumbsup:

I can get my silver to shine real nice with 2 coats of M Seal. Rain washes most stuff right off. A quick wash and dry makes it look new again although silver hides dirt pretty darn good. Takes a few minutes and saves $15 at the car wash & does a better job. I have probably put on 6 coats of the M Seal over the summer...guess I've had a really boring summer.
That's awesome! Each additional coat adds that added shine as well. Sure makes washing easier.

·
Registered
808 Posts
3. Once I have dried the car I am going to start with my Mother's Claybar to remove all the contaminants in the paint. :D[/QUOTE said:
Sounds like you are going to have a busy day! I am getting ready to do a similar process on the Tucson.
One question if your claying the car with a lubricant is there a need to dry the car first?
Seems to me that you would be drying and then wetting it again with the lube?
Curiuos to know your thoughts:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you are going to have a busy day! I am getting ready to do a similar process on the Tucson.
One question if your claying the car with a lubricant is there a need to dry the car first?
Seems to me that you would be drying and then wetting it again with the lube?
Curiuos to know your thoughts:D
Hi Swordmaster,

You know I've never thought of that. I guess the main reason I dry it is I don't want water to 'spot' on the paint. Water has iron and other minerals in it that if let set, can leave a hard water spot when dried. I know from experience these can be a big PITA to get out.

I suppose it would work if you washed one area, clayed it, dried it and then moved on to the next area. For me it's just easier to dry the whole thing and then lube / clay. You should post some pics of your Tucson when you're done. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hi Swordmaster,

You know I've never thought of that. I guess the main reason I dry it is I don't want water to 'spot' on the paint. Water has iron and other minerals in it that if let set, can leave a hard water spot when dried. I know from experience these can be a big PITA to get out.

I suppose it would work if you washed one area, clayed it, dried it and then moved on to the next area. For me it's just easier to dry the whole thing and then lube / clay. You should post some pics of your Tucson when you're done. :thumbsup:
Hi, well I do take your point about not having water spots!
I think when I wash the vehicle to strip the wax I will dry the majority with my leaf blower then.....
1) Clay bar the entire car (minus vinyl trim) and dry
2) Apply Dodo juicePrime lite paint cleaner and buff off
3) Apply chemical guys jetseal 109 paint sealant.
4) Wait 24 hrs for sealant to cure
5) Wax with Autoglym HD wax
6) Put on shades before looking at the Tucson directly in the sunlight!

I am open to suggestions for :
the exterior black vinyl trim, not sure if I can use the jetseal on that, I will have to read up on that. Otherwise I will use 303 aerospace

Also the rims, no idea what products to use on those

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leaf blower! That is a great idea! I'm going to do the same. Thanks for the idea.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
808 Posts
Finally finished detailing the Tucson!
Took 2-3 days (over 2 weeks)
washed and clayed
applied dodo juice paint cleaner and buffed off
applied jetseal 109 paint sealant and buffed off
Finally waxed it today with autoglym hd wax. Took forever to tape off all the exterior black vinyl before waxing!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took some quick pics with my phone so not the best quality. It rained all Saturday and was nice enough to pull the car out to the driveway on Sunday.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
Took some quick pics with my phone so not the best quality. It rained all Saturday and was nice enough to pull the car out to the driveway on Sunday.
Looks amazing. I don't mind the chrome, but I wish our door handles were color matched.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I will look out for your Indigo Night Mica shine, nice job.

When I have clay barred I have applied it to a dried car and a wet car, the wet seemed to save on the amount detailer lube used.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2.0 터보;1642521 said:
I will look out for your Indigo Night Mica shine, nice job.

When I have clay barred I have applied it to a dried car and a wet car, the wet seemed to save on the amount detailer lube used.
You just might; I work in Eden Prairie. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts