Hyundai Forums banner

Satallite Radio

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MButkus 
#1 ·
Hello Folks,
I just purchased a 2018 Santa Fe Sport, unfortunately, it came without Sirius Radio, only Am/Fm. My question is this, can I install a tuner to use through this radio or if not, can I at least use the antenna that came with the car?.

Next question is yes to any of these questions, where is antenna hook up located

Thanks
Joe Folsom

#2 ·
What country ? .. .almost impossible to get a new car without Sirius/XM in the states.

You can still buy the single radio kits off Amazon/Ebay. I did this because we are retired and rarely need two cars at once, so we dropped one of the radios and got a portable to switch in the cars. So I found a kit (ask the group, some offered me one's they had) and hooked up the holder to the vent grill. Antenna, I put through the foam of the inner fender (pretty easy) and then up the front of the hood. Do you have a shark fin ? If you do you have to have Sirius, the AM/FM is in the back window.

You can get Mostly Music for $9 a month. They don't like selling it, but you can do this all on line. Check out the stations they offer for that price.

#3 ·
Check their web site for radios too. I'm always getting offers via email for their radios.

Crutchfield is another source.

You may want to check the XM channel list to see if the channels you want are on it. I usually negotiate a rate that is about $5 per month for 5 or 6 months. The last time we did the dance I went with 6 months of XM Select with internet streaming (single user) for $35.81. Note the channel list for streaming is not he same as the XM Select. It's been a few months and I haven't used the streaming, other than to test it to make sure it worked.

#4 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 SFSL and it came with XM for 3 months. My only complaint, which fell on deaf ears was that I didn't want it set up yet as I wouldn't be using the XM radio until at least the summer as I went on road trips. XM said too bad so sad. Very poor customer service IMO. However the XM Bot sent me an email offering 6 months at $5 a month. I'm tempted but not really sure if it's worth it. On a side note, I find it odd when you go to a store and purchase a portable SXM radio for $100 or less, you get 12 free months. You spend $40,000 on a new SFSL and only get 3 free months. LOL.

Sorry.... I think I may have highjacked your thread. Ooops.

Getting back to your question, I agree with MButkus, as I was researching SFS's, pretty much all came with SXM radio. Maybe yours isn't set up? Let us know what country your in. Also, take a picture of your stereo and post it.

In regards to geppetto's comments.... depending on where you live, yes, Crutchfield is a pretty good source. However, and I'm just adding my two cents (and I'm not kidding when I recommend this)... check out your local thrift stores and/or pawn shops. Sometimes, as long as they function, you can find them pretty cheap. For example, I was shopping at a local thrift store here two days ago and saw a SXM portable radio for $7.99 CAD (Canadian). Of course if you go this route, I'd STRONGLY suggesting having SXM customer service on speed dial and call them while at the location of choice to confirm the serial number is valid and safe to purchase (aka not stolen or worse) BEFORE you purchase.

#6 ·
@joehfd - is your lifetime subscription radio specific?

@ Ken Adams - I threw out Crutchfield as a possible source as I had been looking to upgrade the head unit in our 2010 SF last year to support Android Auto. They had the XM modules listed as a possible component. Once Android Auto updated to include stand alone mode (no head unit required), I stopped my search. Your idea of checking local thrift stores and/or pawn shops is better. Good tip on checking the S/N with Sirius / XM too.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/members/1101481-ken-adams.html

#7 ·
Thanks.

If I remember correctly, you can transfer your "lifetime" account to another radio (up to 3 in lifetime) for a fee. I think $20 or $75. Can't remember. However, the only way to do it free is if it was stolen and your replacing it. But you'd need to give them a police report number. Now, don't ask how I know this but... the police really don't/won't give you a copy of a stolen item report. They will however give you the report number. SXM has no way to confirm if this police report number is real or get any information on the report itself unless they get a court order, which they won't. I'm just trying to say that brushing up legal information, sometimes helps YOU rather them. LOL

#12 ·
There was a discussion on Lifetime accounts for XM/Sirius some time back. They sold thousands of these lifetime subscriptions, then as the new radios died (most cars did not have them built in).. then a lawsuits started. Burried in the subscription agreement, it did say "lifetime of the unit", and the lawyers lost in court. But Sirius and XM (they were separate then) were kind enough to start allowing SOME of the units to get transfered. Car units were not transferrable unless the car unit died or the car was stolen. More on the whole mess below.

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/a...sfer-my-lifetime-subscription-to-a-new-radio?

<<<I know its hard to believe, but it only has am/fm very sad. Sirius makes a tuner that supposedly plugs into the radio(not Sure) I have a lifetime subscription so I need to do something, I guess I'll call crutchfield or Sirius>>>>

You can XM/Sirius portable units from the company and get it free if you buy a subscription, or used on-line, or see if you can get a whole radio replacement with it built in. I would call them to see if your "lifetime" is transferrable. Many other "music"options available these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.