Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a newbie on the forum, but I'm hoping someone can give a tip on how to remove headlights. I have followed owners manual for my '08 Sante Fe Ltd on removing the two screws on top and retaining nut on back of light and unpluging the wire harness but the---- thing doesn't want to slide out. Is there a clip or screw that I am overlooking? I have watched the video on the Sonata. It feels tight on the tapered side(turn signal). I afraid of muscling it too much because there is so much plastic. Any advice or tips?
Thks

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yep.. they do pull out, but you gots to wiggle and pull, and I think the lamp snags the grill (inside portion of lamp housing).

CAREFULLY use large screwdriver to help pull the housing out around the plastic panel/bumper cover.. BE CAREFULL...

They pop right back in easier than they come out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What I noticed was that the headlight unit was stuck to the paintwork, and needed to break the bond.
Obviously with mass production, the unit is added within hours of painting, and so the paintwork was still soft.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi!

If you haven't already figured this out, I did this recently and found by removing the screw in the wheelarch that I could ease the headlight unit out much easier. If you look at the inside front lip of the arch, where the bumper meets the wing there is a screw that if you remove it, it allows you to pull the bumper away from the wing slightly and creates a bigger gap under the headlight unit. Then put masking tape (don't know what it's called overseas!) so you don't scratch the bumper removing the headlight. The clip holding in the light unit is strong and requires force. If you unplug all of the wires first, you won't then have the problem of precariously balancing the unit whilst trying to unplug them...hmm hindsight.

·
3,861 Posts
Hi!

If you haven't already figured this out, I did this recently and found by removing the screw in the wheelarch that I could ease the headlight unit out much easier. If you look at the inside front lip of the arch, where the bumper meets the wing there is a screw that if you remove it, it allows you to pull the bumper away from the wing slightly and creates a bigger gap under the headlight unit. Then put masking tape (don't know what it's called overseas!) so you don't scratch the bumper removing the headlight. The clip holding in the light unit is strong and requires force. If you unplug all of the wires first, you won't then have the problem of precariously balancing the unit whilst trying to unplug them...hmm hindsight.
Could you tell me exactly where this screw is that you removed that allows the gap in the bumper? Where did you access the screw?
Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Could you tell me exactly where this screw is that you removed that allows the gap in the bumper? Where did you access the screw?
Thanks
I'm not at home right now, so I can't take a picture, so I'll try my best to describe it - if not let me know and I'll take a picture when I get home.

Start the car, turn the steering full lock away from the headlight you are trying to remove and turn the engine off (left headlight, full right lock). Crouch against the wheel, looking towards the front of the car and where outside lip of the inner arch liner meets the top of the bumper there is a screw (you need a stubby posidrive screwdriver) that holds the upper bumper bracket in place. Undo this and tug outwards on the bumper just below the line where the bumper meets the wing.

The bumper will pop out slightly, which is just enough to allow the headlight to be withdrawn without marking the soft plastic bumper aperture around the headlight.

I did this at the weekend to upgrade the LED sidelights as it's easier than trying to contort your hand around the back of the battery.

Attachments

·
3,861 Posts
I'm not at home right now, so I can't take a picture, so I'll try my best to describe it - if not let me know and I'll take a picture when I get home.

Start the car, turn the steering full lock away from the headlight you are trying to remove and turn the engine off (left headlight, full right lock). Crouch against the wheel, looking towards the front of the car and where outside lip of the inner arch liner meets the top of the bumper there is a screw (you need a stubby posidrive screwdriver) that holds the upper bumper bracket in place. Undo this and tug outwards on the bumper just below the line where the bumper meets the wing.

The bumper will pop out slightly, which is just enough to allow the headlight to be withdrawn without marking the soft plastic bumper aperture around the headlight.

I did this at the weekend to upgrade the LED sidelights as it's easier than trying to contort your hand around the back of the battery.
Thanks, so I don't need to take down the plastic inner wheel panel then correct? I'll take a look at it today, thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Very welcome - the arch liner remains absolutely in situ, just move the bumper. I would definitely recommend taping the lip of the bumper when you remove the headlight as the plastic casing gouges the bumper as you withdraw it. Most of which is unseen, but not all of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts

This kind of advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
You got my attention:)
When you said LED sidelights, were you talking about the turns or the horizontal light bar that is right under the headlights that doesn't come with factory lights (at least here in Canada anyway)??

"So many mods, so little time..."

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yeah, in the UK that lightbar you're talking about comes with a t10/wedge bulb for the side lights and glows white. As the hole is considerably larger than the stock bulb, I’ve been using some 12 smd white bulbs but fancied something a little brighter so have installed 2x cheap 42 SMD bulbs. Very easy to do here but if there’s no provision for that to be lit in Canada you probably have a bit of playing around to do.

I have some automatic daytime running lights (LED's) too that were a straightforward fix and look relatively stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Not a great photo, but you get the idea
Man, I'm soooo jealous! Those white lower eyebrows look awesome when lighted! I didn't want to venture into opening/separating my headlight housings... but that pic might change my mind. Thanks for the pic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts