Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-does anyone see any good reason not to replace the little spare tire under the back end of the SantaFe with a full size? We just got new Michelin Latitudes and brought home the best 2 OEM Bridgstones thinking to mabe buy a winter rim and mount one for a spare. We tried one of our winter tire/wheel in the holder and it fit..it was just fatter. Don't know why they did not give a full size spare as origial equipment.
On the same topic, sort of, did anyone else need to replace their OEM tires after only 30000km? (2009 GLS AWD 3.3l)
Pawper

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
First thing I did when I got my '08 Ltd was dump the mini-donut for a 16" steel rim and spare that had the same O.D. as my 18" stock tires. I figured that if I started driving my new SF in places I really wanted to go, odds were that whatever took out a tire would kill the Space Saver in about 2 seconds!

The only thing that looks tough would be certain designs of hitch mounts - clearance could be tight. Just saw another poster here put in a factory hitch with just tiny bit of clearance, though, so it's certainly possible.

I'm a lot happier knowing I've got some real rubber under there now.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Forgot to address your other question - no, the Bridgestones are junk, but 30000Km is early, even for those. Unless you're big on tread depth in the summer, you should have seen something closer to 30000 miles... a lot of folks report replacing them somewhere between 25000 and 35000 at the high end.

And last -- be careful mixing the Latitudes and the old 684IIs. While you may have purchased something that shows the exact same size, Michelin is noted for being a bit large on the O.D. Mixing those on an AWD, or even on the front of a FWD, can create some real problems.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I replaced my CBs (Crappy Bridgestones) at 35,000 km, but they're sitting in my garage with enough tread to (hopefully) satisfy my lease-end requirements if they are needed. But I suspect that my Michelin XC LT4s will go the distance.

A full-size spare is nice - especially if you're venturing into isolated areas - but unless the rim matches it's not a great financial investment. And if the rim does match, it will take a beating under there and probably corrode faster than the other four. For the once-every-four-years-or-so that I get a flat tire, I just use the doughnut.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I take my spare out every six months or so, check the pressure and give it a good cleaning. I figure if I'm going to be stuck on the side of the road changing a tire, it might as well be decently clean. Also, I keep my spare at 40 psi so any pressure lost isn't catastrophic. Even if it loses 10 pounds in between check-ups, it's not going to affect the performance should I need to use it. You can always take air out of a tire on the side of the road but you can't put it in. :grin:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.....I will go ahead and mount an original equipment tire on a winter rim and stuff it under the back. I was pleased to see that after a winter and a half the underside still looks quite new....save for the spare rim which is showing some rust. I'm not too worried about mixing one old tire with the new Michelins if we have a flat....3 out of 4 tires will be matching and the differential can take care of the rest for a brief period. As far as flats....some guys are lucky, some not....we've had 2 flats , each one a puncture.
Pawper

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Folks...I've got a new 2012 Santa Fe Ltd. and of course I've got the donut. The tires are 235x60x18 "duelers" on aluminum wheels. It seems pretty clear by inspection and on this forum that a fifth "dueler" on a steel wheel will fit in the spare tire cavity. Is anyone concerned about the extra weight on the lift and retention system for permanent storage in this manner. Hyundai corporate advises that the lift and retention system has not been "tested" for this and therefore they cannot recommend the procedure.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
You're being fed BS - in many parts of the world, certainly the UK, the Santa Fe comes with a full-size alloy spare wheel/tyre as standard and the lift system is perfectly adequate for this - although it's easily defeated by thieves stealing spare wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anybody ever used one of those emergency (foam in a can) flat tire repair systems?
The valve stem would be ruined of course but does it damage the tire or wheel? How do you get cleaned out later? Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anybody ever used one of those emergency (foam in a can) flat tire repair systems?
The valve stem would be ruined of course but does it damage the tire or wheel? How do you get cleaned out later? Thanks.
I think the TPMS for that tire will have to be replaced in that case. Probably cost over $100 USD for parts and labor, plus the cost of a new tire.

·
Registered
709 Posts
TPMS will not be an issue for Santa Fe Sam since he's in Canada.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh Oh Santa Fe honeymoon over in 2 weeks.

Rained hard last night and I have water coming out of the seat belt holder at the rear passenger side.

Is it from the sunroof or the roof rack? 2012 Santa Fe Ltd. goes to the shop this afternoon - any ideas?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts