Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the stock incandescent bulbs with LEDs. I couldn't for the life of me get the tail lamp housings off. I removed the two screws and tried to slide the housings back but they wouldn't move. They just wiggle in place.

Any tips? Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have seen a number of people encounter this problem as I did the first time I removed them. Once I took the screws out, I basically had nitrile gloves on then if you can picture slapping the side of the tail light assembly while pushing in a rearward word direction, after a couple of those it came off. Very stubborn the first couple times though. After you've had them off a couple times they slide off easier.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen a number of people encounter this problem as I did the first time I removed them. Once I took the screws out, I basically had nitrile gloves on then if you can picture slapping the side of the tail light assembly while pushing in a rearward word direction, after a couple of those it came off. Very stubborn the first couple times though. After you've had them off a couple times they slide off easier.
Still couldn't get them off, and I pulled a muscle in the process.
Guess it's time to call a guy.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Still couldn't get them off, and I pulled a muscle in the process.
Guess it's time to call a guy.
Don’t give up just yet, I took my 14’ tail light out late last year for the first time to replace the crack one and it took some elbow grease and force to do so. Not sure if you have try it yet but see if you can use some duct tape to use it as leverage and pull it outward while you keep tapping and wiggle it with the other hand. Once you break and loosen it from the clip behind the next time should be a bit easier!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
I want to replace the stock incandescent bulbs with LEDs. I couldn't for the life of me get the tail lamp housings off. I removed the two screws and tried to slide the housings back but they wouldn't move. They just wiggle in place.

Any tips? Thanks!
Stop! There are 4 srews, not two. See attached picture. My finger is pointing to where I added silicone caulking because of a rain leak, by the way. But you can see the 4 screw holes.
-Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Stop! There are 4 srews, not two. See attached picture. My finger is pointing to where I added silicone caulking because of a rain leak, by the way. But you can see the 4 screw holes.
-Chris
Not sure of your Year/Model or @Spira's, but the 2017 SE only has two,
I have had mine off several times....
20200424_163417.jpg

·
Registered
199 Posts
Your showing the tail light piece that is in the quarter panel and Christopher is showing the tail light piece (well actually the pocket the tail light goes into) that is in the tailgate.
Correct, that is what holds the 'tail lights' (running and stop), I was not sure what @Christopher
was showing, but on my 2017 the 'tailgate' housing only contains the park and reverse lamps.
@Spira is trying to to the tail lights.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried using duct tape to pull the lamps, tried using panel tools, tried working together with my old dad, pulled that same muscle again, and still couldn't get anywhere.

Hopefully the mechanics at the dealer have specialized tools to get the lamps off.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hilariously, it took three mechanics at the dealer to remove the lamps - one guy to hold the car steady while the two others rocked the lamps to get them out. Took 20 minutes to do the whole thing. But now I have LEDs in there.

Totally worth it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
WOW, that is funny but it just seems like they were overly tight compared to what I experienced on mine. But none the less I'm glad you got it done, and with LEDs you may never have to take them off again. :LOL:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts