Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sante Fe that is stuck in my garage because the steering wheel is completely locked. I have tried every remedy available, with no luck. I've had 3 grown men (including tow truck driver) try to get the key to turn with no luck. I sprayed WD-40 inside the lock, no luck. I cannot get the car towed to a dealer because of where my garage is underneath my house, the flatbed won't fit. Even went to the dealer and got a new key, hoping a $20 investment would work. No luck. I am resorting to having a locksmith come to my house tonight to replace the ignition switch, which is going to cost me a fortune. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I dish out hundreds to get this replaced? I talked to two different Hyundai service departments, and both said this is rare on the Santa Fe. More common on the Sonata.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Keep working the lock with the key
One or more of the pins in the lock may have gotten stuck
WD-40 should help.
Otherwise, locksmith to replace the ignition lock

Sorry, no help

·
Registered
58 Posts
I cannot get the car towed to a dealer because of where my garage is underneath my house, the flatbed won't fit.
I would have to think that you could move a car with go-jacks even in a covered garage, unless it's dirt or something.

Regardless - it really depends on exactly what symptoms you are having to help identify the cause of the problem.

Does the key easily slide in and out of the lock? If not, you probably have a dead lock cylinder.

If it does, but doesn't turn the lock, does the lock turn even the slightest? If not, you have a frozen lock cylinder.

**I've seen issues where the steering wheel binding would cause the ignition not to turn, as well as gear selector malfunction prevent turning of the key too. Have you checked both of those?

In the end, a locksmith if none of those help identify the exact cause, a locksmith on-site is probably the next logical step as you mentioned. Hopefully you were able to get things fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts