Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Accidentally posted this in welcome forum, but do not appear to have permission to move it here, so reposting.

Hi all,

I have a 2018 Santa Fe Sport base model.

It went in for an oil + oil filter change at Hyundai's dealership/service department. After receiving the car back, all was well on the drive home, when I turned off the engine it produced a new noise, like a knocking sound. I took the car back to Hyundai at the next appointment I could get and they tell me the sound is normal, and it's a release of pressure happening after the engine is turned off.

Could anyone here tell me if it's normal, and also why it's only happening now after the oil change?

Kind regards,

Simon

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
Did you note the oil level prior to leaving? Hoping it was full because this sounds like rod knock. Granted listening to a YT vid on a phone is hardly a diagnosis but this aint fuel pressure releasing.

Dealer seems to have made a boo boo and isn't owning up. New dealer time

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not note the oil level before, I was hoping for a fairly common service.

Thanks for your feedback on not being pressure release, I did not think this was accurate.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Sadly dealer service with Hyundai is hit or miss...more often miss. Pains me to think that the 2018 engines may have the same deadly flaw as the earlier ones like mine but at the end of the day its the same design built at the same plant.

Would start keeping paperwork now of all dealer visits related to the problem and check your oil at each fuel stop. If you notice oil consumption get to a dealer to have it checked and noted there.

Forgot to ask...vehicle is under warranty? Also which owner are you(original or subsequent)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, will keep note of all our communication.

Original owner, vehicle is under warranty.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Thanks for the advice, will keep note of all our communication.

Original owner, vehicle is under warranty.
Good and really good. At least you have the 10/100 warranty along with the bumper to bumper.

Keep on the dealer until its fixed. Squeaky wheel mentality works best with Hyundai!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went back to the dealership and asked them to check the noise again, they assure me it's "normal" and it's related to a pressure release in the throttle body. I can't understand why it's suddenly started now.

Their mechanic also left a blue pen mark near my center console, that was kind of him..

Hard to take them seriously when they don't seem to take any care or attention.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hmm, sorry about the blue mark there, I hate it when other people have little respect for your car. That noise though is definitely not normal. If it’s the throttle body like he said, then the plastic gears are stripping. It’s either the throttle body butterfly gear or it’s something to do with the variable intake runner.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
222 Posts
Normal sound I can hear similar sound on my 2.0 and on my wife mazda CX-5.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Its etheir the throttle body, EGR valve or variable valve going to home position and making noise. Eveything is controlled by the ECU. Normally you dont hear them because the engine running is making more noise, and they dont go to "home" position when its running..

I think you just never hear it before. If oil level is fine, engine running fine, and no check engine, then all is fine.

You can clearly see in your video something moving (Probably variable valve intake here?) right after engine shut off (accesory belt stop moving), and the sound start right after it rotated :

·
Registered
324 Posts
I can assure you that noise isn’t normal. Been around plenty of Theta II engines now to know that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can assure you that noise isn’t normal. Been around plenty of Theta II engines now to know that.
Ok, so my 2.0t engine have 265 000km and it always have done this noise since new. It currently run really well, doesnt consume oil, doesnt have any check engine.

Here a video I just made right now, you can hear the same similar sound that the OP at around 0:07 seconds.

So if OP want to start having headache over something normal, its up to him.

You will not hear this noise with the hood closed while being in the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so my 2.0t engine have 265 000km and it always have done this noise since new. It currently run really well, doesnt consume oil, doesnt have any check engine.

Here a video I just made right now, you can hear the same similar sound that the OP at around 0:07 seconds.

So if OP want to start having headache over something normal, its up to him.

You will not hear this noise with the hood closed while being in the car.
The only thing that's strange to me is that it was not doing it before. Hyundai have said they also did an update, perhaps it is now releasing more pressure than before, making the noise more noticeable.

Thanks Kameleau, some peace of mind at least.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Theta II has had issues with the variable intake runner for years now and this is exactly the noise they make when they start jamming up and throwing codes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts