Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read several different forms regarding this and I'm getting different answers. I have a 2013 Santa Fe with a turbo engine. In the morning when the vehicle first start, it would jerk when it shifts through gears. This happens both when the car is accelerating and decelerating. However, the problem seems to go away after a few minutes. This only happened a couple times in the last couple weeks. I read somewhere that it might be due to the cold weather but in Southern California, we don't really get below zero temperatures. Can just a low temperature in the 40s cause transmission fluid problem like this?

I also read people say it could be due to spark plugs or a few different sensors being off. Again, once the car drives for a few minutes, the problem seems to go away. So far this only happened when we drove it first thing in the morning. If anyone has any experience on this or had it fixed, please share. My car is about 65,000 miles at the moment.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Scan it...

Cold start,, maybe random other,, what happens when shifter move from P to D or R ??

Did we scan it yet ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no engine light with the issue. At the same time, this only happens when I am already in Drive (D), not in Park (P). I was worried that this would be a dangerous condition but read here and other forums that this shouldn't cause immediate danger. I had to drive over 200 miles today and had to just wing it and the car was fine the entire day except when I first started it up in the morning. I know it could be anything but want to know if anyone had the problem fixed and what steps were taken to fix the problem.

At the same time, if the engine light didn't come up, would scanning it show anything at all? My light came up before for other things, but didn't come up at all, not even briefly, with this jerking issue I am experiencing.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Scan it yet ?

Dont need light to scan,, free to scan anytime we desire,, if there is DTC in there, it be there until somebody actually clear it

·
Registered
355 Posts
How many miles on it? Did you ever change the transmission fluid?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The word "jerk" can be subjective. If the shift is just being delayed to a higher engine RPM and is a bit firmer it may be normal. The vehicles are often program to remain in a lower gear as the air temp drops to help bring the cats and oxygen sensors on line faster. That can create a firmer shift. Now if it is an abrupt very hard upshift then I would think there may be another issue causing this. You also mentiion that it downshifts harder as well, and that is typically not felt during the warm up period.

Overall...I agree with the others. Get it checked as this does not sound quite right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts