Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
2009 Santa Fe Engine failure

Hi

I've a 2009 Santa Fe 2.2CRTD GSI 2wd.

I was driving towards a set of lights when I heard a noise from the engine and the then the engine stopped. On trying to restart the engine, it wouldn't start and all I got was a clicking noise.

Once the engine cooled down, it would turn over again, but not start.

I've had a mechanic inspect the engine and it turns out the camshaft has seized, breaking the cam followers and making the valves have hit the pistons, so it's a serious mess.

The car has done 26k miles and was last serviced by Hyundai at 11k miles in 2010 where they changed the oil etc.

I bought it via Motorpoint in Derby as a new vehicle, but it is an import from Ireland, so only has 3 yrs warranty via Hyundai Ireland :(

I'm looking for some advice on what to do next. A second hand engine is approx £2.5k and I could possible get a new head for about £1k, but they're proving difficult to track down and I've obviously got labour costs etc on top of that.

Even though I'm not covered by the Hyundai warranty, does anyone have a view about whether I should go back to Hyundai? I can't believe that a terminal fault like this is possible in this day and age, given it's only 4 years old and if it was a UK car, it would have 5yrs warranty.

Any advice welcome....thanks.

Hi

I've a 2009 Santa Fe 2.2CRTD GSI 2wd that seems to have had a serious engine failiur!

I bought it in the UK as a new vehicle, but it is an import from Ireland, so they told me it only has 3 yrs warranty via Hyundai Ireland :( is this true?

While driving I heard a noise from the engine and the then the engine stopped. On trying to restart the engine, it wouldn't start and all I got was a clicking noise.

Once the engine cooled down, it would turn over again, but not start.

I've had a mechanic inspect the engine and it appears that the camshaft has seized, breaking the cam followers and making the valves have hit the pistons, so it's a serious mess.

The car has done 26k miles and was last serviced by Hyundai at 11k miles in 2010 where they changed the oil etc.

I'm looking for some advice on what to do next.

Even though I'm not covered by the Hyundai warranty, does anyone have a view about whether I should go back to Hyundai? I can't believe that a terminal fault like this is possible in this day and age, given it's only 4 years old and if it was a UK car, it would have 5yrs warranty.

Any help and advice please.

Thanks

D

Hi

I've a 2009 Santa Fe 2.2CRTD GSI 2wd

It appears that the camshaft has seized, breaking the cam followers and making the valves have hit the pistons, so it's a serious mess.

I understand the options are a replacement head or a replacement engine. Does anyone know what my most cost effective options are or where I can source the replacement parts

Thanks

D

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Three years since the last oil change? Service times are miles or months whichever comes first not last. Personally I think it died from neglect.

If you want to verify your warranty contact Hyundai corporate.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Three years since the last oil change?

If you want to verify your warranty contact Hyundai corporate.
If it really has gone 3 years and 15,000 miles without an oil change......it would be a waste of his time to be checking on any "warranty".

Probably hasn't checked the oil level in that time either and it just ran out of oil and burned up. :eek:

How sad. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ebay has a supplier of reconditioned full engines for £2250 delivered, not fitted. I'd suggest a good Hyundai independent of which there aren't many in the UK - could try Tiburon Automotive in Birmingham to see what they'd charge to fit it or if they'd recommend a less expensive route.

Zero or less chance of getting anything out of Hyundai and you're wasting your energy thinking it is a manufacturing problem if you haven't changed the oil in 3 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your help

Hi All

I have been posting on behalf of my elderly father who owns the Santa Fe. Looks like he made some major errors of judgment and is now paying the price. Yes, no oil change for 3 years. This is his first new car and I guess needed treating differently from the older cars he's owned in the past.

Apoliogies for the messy intial posting, this is all new to me.

He is now looking for parts, struggling a bit due to poor availablity, however, I just wanted to say thank you for your advice.

D

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
I guess needed treating differently from the older cars he's owned in the past.
And that guess would be wrong.
No automobile ever built was intended to go that long between oil changes.
He must have just been lucky in the past.

Good luck getting the problem resolved.

I would just caution you against throwing good money after bad; the old penny wise and pound foolish thing.

The best course of action might be to cut his losses and move on.

P.S. And from your first post:
"I understand the options are a replacement head or a replacement engine. Does anyone know what my most cost effective options are or where I can source the replacement parts"

This is wrong.
Given what you have described, the only real option is a whole new (or rebuilt) engine. Only parts external to the basic engine would be re-useable.....like maybe the fuel system and intake manifold. The head itself might be OK; it's all of the OTHER internal parts that have been damaged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts