Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2010 Santa Fe SE. When I test drove it, I thought it was decently comfortable. Now after driving it for almost two weeks I can honestly say I would take it back if I could and get an Equinox.

I'm 6' 1" (205 pounds) and can't seem to get comfortable in this thing. I've backed up the front seat all the way, lowered it as far as it will go and it still sets my thighs on fire after about 30 minutes of driving. I got power seats thinking that it would allow me the most flexibility. We already owned an 2008 Elantra and have been impressed with the quality, but the Santa FE has been a disappointment, at least comfort wise for me.

Anyone else have this issue that is of larger size. My wife has no problems as she is 5' 3". I really have some serious buyers remorse and have considered it taking it back ot the dealer and begging them to take it back! Now I'm stuck with my wife's Elantra, hoping (praying) that the seats will soften up or be more comfortable over time. Hyundai really needs a 60 day return policy like Chevy and others now have. I hate driving a car for 15 minutes and having to make a $25000 decision.

Any suggestions or similar situations?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm of pretty similar proportions and have no issues.
And to give an idea of usage, it's not a month old yet and I'm over 4,200 kms.
I have noticed that if the power seat is lowered all the way down, it does seem to tilt forward. But i have it raised and tilted back. Don't forget your steering wheel is both tilt AND telescoping.
Make sure all the seat adjustments are working properly.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Funny you should say that. I am 205 pounds, 5'10 with the legs of a 6-footer, and I was finding discomfort too until I:

- took the wallet out of my back pocket
- advanced the seat forward enough that I could bend my right knee slightly while driving (instead of stretching for the gas pedal)
- lowered the front of the seat almost all the way down so the front edge wasn't cutting into my legs
- straightened up the seat back with less recline than I am used to

Some people complain about the Santa Fe's short seat cushions and firm surfaces, but the biggest problem IMO is all of those adjustments creating a million different ways to be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
211 Posts
QUOTE (Katz S. @ May 1 2010, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318674
I purchased a 2010 Santa Fe SE. When I test drove it, I thought it was decently comfortable. Now after driving it for almost two weeks I can honestly say I would take it back if I could and get an Equinox.

I'm 6' 1" (205 pounds) and can't seem to get comfortable in this thing. I've backed up the front seat all the way, lowered it as far as it will go and it still sets my thighs on fire after about 30 minutes of driving. I got power seats thinking that it would allow me the most flexibility. We already owned an 2008 Elantra and have been impressed with the quality, but the Santa FE has been a disappointment, at least comfort wise for me.

Anyone else have this issue that is of larger size. My wife has no problems as she is 5' 3". I really have some serious buyers remorse and have considered it taking it back ot the dealer and begging them to take it back! Now I'm stuck with my wife's Elantra, hoping (praying) that the seats will soften up or be more comfortable over time. Hyundai really needs a 60 day return policy like Chevy and others now have. I hate driving a car for 15 minutes and having to make a $25000 decision.

Any suggestions or similar situations?
I'm 6'4" and 240. I can relate to your frustrations. I had to settle for the entry level trim so as to avoid the power seats because there was simply not enough head room for me with the those seats and the sunroof. I think the Santa Fe seats are the most uncomfortable seats of any vehicle I have driven; enough that I would not buy another if the seats weren't improved.
Despite having ample head room now, I still do not have the hip/leg room I need. After taking delivery of it, I had to drive 1100 kms home. I was in pain for days because of my neck was so sore. Even though I had the head room, I simply could not get comfortable in my new vehicle. I looked on-line for months for replacement seats and for modifications to give lower the seats and allow the seat to go back further with no luck. Thankfully, by the time I took my next big road trip, I had adjusted to the seating position and no longer suffer with a sore neck or behind. So, you do get used to it. Unfortunately, my fabric seats still feel like something between 2x12s and a lawn chair.
Like another reader commented, I keep my seat all the way down and have the recline in a more vertical position than in the past with other vehicles. It takes awhile to get used to.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm 6'3" and 210 lbs with long legs. I too have struggled a bit with the seat comfort. What I have found is that though the front will go down, the back does not drop accordingly. I don't sit excessively high in my seat, but I always feel like I'm looking out of the windshield from under the visor, rather than in the middle section of the windshield.
I would love to see some sort of mod that would allow the back of the cushion to go lower. I've contemplated drilling it out myself and just re-bolting it lower! (may need to look into this next weekend!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's at least "comforting" to know that I'm not the only one that has experienced problems. I have also considered finding someone willing to modify the seats to go down further than allowed from the factory. I'm sure whatever I would do, would immediately void the warranty.

Anyway, I'm considering a seat cover, maybe a faux sheep skin or something to make it more comfortable. Also, I wondered if anyone has compared the Santa Fe's seats to the Equinox? Maybe if I look at them and they are not as comfortable as advertised, it will at least take some of my comfort envy away!

I may not have this SUV long, although I'd lose thousands on it. Of course my wife's willing to drive it, but man, I'd be driving her Elantra. And I thought the Santa Fe had almost too much of a soccer mom look!

My Santa Fe is white and with all tinted windows it will look good, but I think I'll be in pain until I get rid of it.

I got it because it seemed to be the best deal on the market. I just wanted it for utility sake...hauling the occasional things, bikes, yard stuff, vacation equipment, etc..

Anyway thanks for the input, and I would love to hear more ideas. I've also considered calling Hyundai and see if they can do anything about the situation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same problem with the seats... called the dealer and tried to undo the deal, but no luck. It is now about a month later and the seats are getting softer and more comfortable. I would give t a little bit of time before taking the bit hit of trading it in. Now, another option could be to take off the seat covering and modify the padding.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Even my '04 Santa Fe has 8-way adjustments...they're manual but it's still twice as many directions as most cars give you. I used to sit with the front of the bottom cushion tilted way up and the seat reclined considerably. That position would inevitably cause some butt-burn. Now I'm 6' even but I have very short legs and a tall torso so finding a position in any car where my hair doesn't graze the headliner is a challenge. I know have the bottom cushion set with both knobs as far down as they'll go and the seatback brought forward to just a smidge less than a bolt-upright setting.

I agree with the others...fiddle with the adjustments until you find something that works. Also, give the seats time to break in. Hyundai seats are notoriously very firm but mine have long since softened up and now I find them to be some of the most comfortable seats I've ever had the pleasure of planting my tush. Just last year I did a 13-hour drive from Portland to Salt Lake City by myself and apart from being exhausted, was no worse for the wear.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've owned the MK1 MK2 and now the 2010 MK3, I found the MK1 fabric seats by far the most comfortable front and back if I remember right there was more rear seat legroom as well, the MK Two's were not quite as comfortable? as for the MK3 I find these seats really crap!!! the fronts are very hard I can't get comfortable in any position, the backseats I'm told by my passengers push into the small of the back and don't allow them to relax, I'm six foot tall and 280lbs so the driving seat will I hope probably relax to the shape of my bum eventually?.

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
^^ Hope this is a joke. I never had a problem with lovemysantafe's posts.

As far as seats go, I'm 6'2''. Strange, but just about on every car I've had, seats during test drives always seem fine, but after buying I have problems. For a while. But eventually my body gets used to them and in the end it's OK. No different with the Santa Fe.

But as far as seats in movies, theaters, churches, arenas etc, they all suck. So I've stopped going to them all. :whistling:

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (NoDriveSlowGLS @ May 4 2010, 08:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319358
WARNING: Andrew (lovemysantafe) is a complete ****. Ignore any advice and information he gives you. 75% of the time it's completely wrong.

If you're mad and you know it, stomp your feet
If you're mad and you know it,
And you've just got to show the whole world why you got banned from hyundai-forums.com in the first place
If you're mad and you know it, stomp your feet!

:gitara:

·
Registered
202 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ May 4 2010, 02:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319478
If you're mad and you know it,
And you've just got to show the whole world why you got banned from hyundai-forums.com in the first place
If you're mad and you know it, stomp your feet!

:gitara:

^^^ :amen: !^^^

(That's hilarious!! :grin:)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (ThunderLizard @ May 4 2010, 08:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319425
Troll! :eek:fftopic:

sYc...that you???

...you can run but you can't hide... :bwekk:
It's him...apparently running short on hobbies, huh? :) How bored to you have to be for trolling a Hyundai board to look appealing?

But seriously...as I've gone through all of his posts I've found many of you defending me and I appreciate that. The administration and I are working on a vaccine that will eliminate the sYc virus from our board once and for all.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm sure he'll be reading posts from time-to-time as a "Guest" so I offer this:

sYc - it's a shame you got booted, because you have some good knowledge to share. But as I and many others have noted before, you have a propensity to take a real negative approach to those you respond to. Not always, but enough to leave a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of well-meaning contributors to this forum. (I experienced this first-hand when you got quite ugly/sarcastic with me, and I was agreeing with you, but you didn't take the time to read the post. You just fired salvos.)

If I can offer any suggestion, it would be to check the negativity and sarcasm at the door on the next forum you interact with. Understand that not everyone knows what you do (which is why they're here) and that just because you believe something, that doesn't always make it true (need a dose of humility). If you keep those thoughts in mind, you can really add to another forum,and a great many people can benefit from your knowledge.

Maybe we'll see you on another forum, and I hope the experience is a positive one. But for now, why not leave these folks in peace. You have nothing to gain by being nasty, and will only reinforce to everyone why you got booted in the first place. :57:

·
1,914 Posts
I have a 2008 SE and I really, really regret not getting a power seat. I like to sit really high and the seat slopes considerably and just isn't comfortable. To make matters worse, my fiance drives it a lot and when I get in it to drive, I can never find a comfortable position. I'm going to purchase a 2010 at some point and the a power seat is a must. I found the Limited seat to be more comfortable than the SE for some reason.

I had a 2005 and 2006 Santa Fe and they have very comfortable seats due to the multiple adjustments.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ May 4 2010, 07:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319584
I have a 2008 SE and I really, really regret not getting a power seat. I like to sit really high and the seat slopes considerably and just isn't comfortable. To make matters worse, my fiance drives it a lot and when I get in it to drive, I can never find a comfortable position. I'm going to purchase a 2010 at some point and the a power seat is a must. I found the Limited seat to be more comfortable than the SE for some reason.

I had a 2005 and 2006 Santa Fe and they have very comfortable seats due to the multiple adjustments.
The extra adjustments certainly do help if you get them right, but they can also be a distraction. I must have logged 10,000 kilometers in my Santa Fe before realizing that just because I can assume the driving position of a '69 Corvette doesn't mean I should. :huh:

·
1,914 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ May 5 2010, 01:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319697
The extra adjustments certainly do help if you get them right, but they can also be a distraction. I must have logged 10,000 kilometers in my Santa Fe before realizing that just because I can assume the driving position of a '69 Corvette doesn't mean I should. :huh:

:bwekk: ...I don't plan on getting a GLS (shooting for a 4 banger Limited), so I shouldn't have a problem with the seat. I wish they had the 1st gen. Santa Fe seats with the 01-04 fabric. They were comfortable and the fabric was some of the best. 05-06 is light, always looks stained, and you can't get it clean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have to admit, I thought the seats in the Equinox were fabulously soft! Kind of like they hugged me :)
If I hadn't needed to lug my golf clubs around I would have considered the Chevy.

The only issue with my Santa Fe seat is that the seatbelt connector/latch cuts into my hip (gotta diet!!).

Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got a 2010 Santa Fe AWD about 3 weeks ago. The dealer offered me the managers demo model, the GL Sport edition, for about the same price as the new GL.

I was going to go for it, mainly to get the heated seats, sunroof, powered drivers seat and the trip computer (wife has always complained that our car models never have the exterior temp). However, I took it for a drive to show it to my wife and after 15minutes of driving, then 10 minutes of playing with the seat and another 10 of driving, I could not get the seat to be comfortable. Back at the dealer, I sat in the GL again and was instantly comfortable.

Surprising that the lower model has a more comfortable seat, but that might jut be me, or the way the power seats are made. As I do many road trips each year, that made up my mind to forgot the Sport an be happy with the GL.

I haven't done a long trip yet, but so far around town, I've found it to be much more comfortable than my last vehicle (a 2006 Torrent).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts