Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my santa fe dm steering wheel has a slight vibration at speed 110-120km/hr this just happened after i re-surfaced both of my front rotors. the driver side rotors have deep scratches ( dealer wont replace it or repair it under warranty). also i used my old brake pads but we sanded them so the it will be flat. should i replace the pads also? why do you think it vibrates? thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
You shouldn't have ANY vibrations. Given the information you just provided, I would replace both your rotors and pads. If this is a job you can do yourself, it will be relatively cheap (probably around $250 depending on the quality of items you purchase for the ENTIRE car). It could be even less. If the rotors have the deep scratches you claim, it's going to eat your brake pad up again anyways. I've also never heard of anyone sanding down their pads. This is going to cause your driver's pads to go far quicker than the others, which means you will eventually start grinding that rotor again before the others.

It's really disappointing to hear Hyundai isn't going to do anything. Perhaps you should contact another dealership and have them look at it. If you don't get the results you desire, I'd take it up higher. This shouldn't happen on a new car and there is obviously an issue somewhere. Either way, replace both front rotors and pads.

·
2,258 Posts
there are a few reasons: (if this is really brake related)

rotors that are damaged due to not being resurfaced correctly.

if the brake pads were not 'bed in' correctly, you can have vibrations from pad material unevenly deposited on the friction surfaces. (thats what happens when someone makes a complete stop while bedding in)

if the rotor was not installed correctly (seated against the hub)

if a brake pad is dragging, causing excessive heat, which will cause the rotor to deform or collapse.

friction surface had collapsed in the area between straight radial interior vanes.

let me ask you - is the vibration always there, no matter if you are braking or not? or is it worse when you are braking? this could be tire related as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
my santa fe dm steering wheel has a slight vibration at speed 110-120km/hr this just happened after i re-surfaced both of my front rotors. the driver side rotors have deep scratches ( dealer wont replace it or repair it under warranty). also i used my old brake pads but we sanded them so the it will be flat. should i replace the pads also? why do you think it vibrates? thanks!

Couple of questions for you. Did you rotate your tires the same time you did the brakes? Have you hit anything in the road recently?

You might want to have the tires check & wheels balanced because you are kinda explaining a out of balance wheel vibration issue.

The brake rotors & pads are maintenance items and are not covered under warranty. IMSTRICKEN pretty much summed up all what could cause brake vibrations. Traveling on dirt roads can cause grooves in rotors by dirt/dust/small pepples.
Good luck on getting the issue resolved :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I too would look to the wheel and tire, whether damaged due to pot hole or other, or simply out of balance. However, if you can feel a significant vibration when you brake, then all the possibilities ImStricken pointed out might be the place to look.

Sometimes, when wheels are pulled off, weights are knocked off unknowingly, especially if the weights are stick on and were not applied well to begin with.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You should not need to have brake work done on a new car. Why did you re-surface your rotors in the first place? Were you having brake problems?

If the problem is inherently with the brakes, then Hyundai should fix, unless you did something to void the warranty. I don't do my own work, so I don't know what Hyundai's (or anyone's) position is on warranty coverage if you make DIY repairs or do DIY modifications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts