Hyundai Forums banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you take the back seats out or have the dealer do it? My dealer was against taking out the back seats because of some safety concerns. Your thought please.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Did you take the back seats out or have the dealer do it? My dealer was against taking out the back seats because of some safety concerns. Your thought please.
I take them out myself. Just a couple of bolts, nothing else. It is obviously a safety concern if someone rides in the back without the seats

The seatbelts or any other safety equipment are not attached to the seats (at least on the SE with Tech package model). The center seat (I have a bench seat) only has one little screw holding the seat belt holder to the seat frame.

I have taken mine out multiple times, and have gone back in perfectly fine. It is important to not sit on the seats when they are out of the car (or put weight on them) as that might bend the seat frames and cause them to not go back in. I’ll take a couple of pictures next and tag you on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is how much I paid from this same shop. Do their price seems to have gone up. But you can even shop on eBay and other places for them to find the best price.

View attachment 442892
Just wandering if you were hit with custom fees when you imported the Springs?

Also looking to upgrade the suspension on my 2017 Santa Fe XL 4WD. Wondering if it's worth doing the front as well or if just the rear axel would be sufficient. BTW I was told by a local dealer that the reason we cannot buy this part in North America is that Eibach has not listed any American models on their fit list (i.e. not approved for use on American models even though they are essentially the same as their European counterpart).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just wandering if you were hit with custom fees when you imported the Springs?

Also looking to upgrade the suspension on my 2017 Santa Fe XL 4WD. Wondering if it's worth doing the front as well or if just the rear axel would be sufficient. BTW I was told by a local dealer that the reason we cannot buy this part in North America is that Eibach has not listed any American models on their fit list (i.e. not approved for use on American models even though they are essentially the same as their European counterpart).
I did not pay any customs fees. Just the price as charged from the vendor.

I would absolutely do the 4 corner setup. The entire car rides so much better and handles like a dream compared to stock.

I was off road last weekend with some pretty tough company. The Santa Fe kept up with everyone even on some pretty rough stuff. Never bottomed out and rode great.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I did not pay any customs fees. Just the price as charged from the vendor.

I would absolutely do the 4 corner setup. The entire car rides so much better and handles like a dream compared to stock.

I was off road last weekend with some pretty tough company. The Santa Fe kept up with everyone even on some pretty rough stuff. Never bottomed out and rode great.

View attachment 445012

View attachment 445013
Great pictures! Where was that? As FastDEW mentioned, no import/customs fees/dues.

I spoke directly with Eibach when I was doing my research. They developed this set for the Santa Fe with the Diesel engine (hence not available here in the US)

The only difference between the two is the weight of the front half of the Santa Fe (Diesel being heavier). This makes the front appear a tad higher than the rear, thus having a bigger spacer in the rear makes the Santa Fe look leveled. I have 30mm front and 40mm rear spacers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great pictures! Where was that? As FastDEW mentioned, no import/customs fees/dues.

I spoke directly with Eibach when I was doing my research. They developed this set for the Santa Fe with the Diesel engine (hence not available here in the US)

The only difference between the two is the weight of the front half of the Santa Fe (Diesel being heavier). This makes the front appear a tad higher than the rear, thus having a bigger spacer in the rear makes the Santa Fe look leveled. I have 30mm front and 40mm rear spacers.

It was out in Anza Borrego Desert in East San Diego county. We also took it to the sand dunes near there. In Anza there is a lot of fun off road spots, sand washes, rutted areas, whoops, desert climbs in sand and other things. The Santa Fe did extremely well. Never got stuck or had any issues. Felt great off road with the updated suspension. It is a real goat off road to be honest. It won’t do rock crawling of course, there is no low range. But for moderate off road it is really better than I thought it would be. The downhill control works super well also. With the Eibach Springs it will take high speed dips and low speed whoops REALLY hard and never bottom. Amazing!

I agree - do a little more rear spacer and it works well and levels nicely. I did the Eibachs which is 25mm all around and then did the 20mm front spacer and a 30mm rear spacer. So a little less than yours.

For street driving, these springs are FAR superior to stock. It rides better. Stiffer but more compliant overall. Not sure how to explain it. But the spring rates are much improved. The ride is better. The springs feel like they are progressive rates, because they take a load well as well. Not sure if they are or they are just tuned much better than stock. But the spring handles the load far better. More secure.

I also did the KYB struts/shocks when I did my springs. Not sure how much difference they make over stock because I did it all at the same time, so I can only say from stock compared to this combination. I think most of the improvements come from the springs and spacers though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
It was out in Anza Borrego Desert in East San Diego county. We also took it to the sand dunes near there. In Anza there is a lot of fun off road spots, sand washes, rutted areas, whoops, desert climbs in sand and other things. The Santa Fe did extremely well. Never got stuck or had any issues. Felt great off road with the updated suspension. It is a real goat off road to be honest. It won’t do rock crawling of course, there is no low range. But for moderate off road it is really better than I thought it would be. The downhill control works super well also. With the Eibach Springs it will take high speed dips and low speed whoops REALLY hard and never bottom. Amazing!

I agree - do a little more rear spacer and it works well and levels nicely. I did the Eibachs which is 25mm all around and then did the 20mm front spacer and a 30mm rear spacer. So a little less than yours.

For street driving, these springs are FAR superior to stock. It rides better. Stiffer but more compliant overall. Not sure how to explain it. But the spring rates are much improved. The ride is better. The springs feel like they are progressive rates, because they take a load well as well. Not sure if they are or they are just tuned much better than stock. But the spring handles the load far better. More secure.

I also did the KYB struts/shocks when I did my springs. Not sure how much difference they make over stock because I did it all at the same time, so I can only say from stock compared to this combination. I think most of the improvements come from the springs and spacers though.
The springs are an absolutely worth it mod if you are looking for better handling, even on road.

My wife and I moved a little out of the city and some roads are not as smooth. The Santa Fe glides through them, extremely impressive compared to stock. We have done some camping trips and it has truly performed like a champ without bottoming out carrying the loaded camper and roof carrier.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I notice under load is where the improvement is super effective. Camping and gear inside don’t drag its butt anymore.

You were the innovator on this mod and so happy I followed your lead Dags. ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
First thing first, a big thanks to everyone for sharing their experience and advice.

After reading (and re-reading) the posts, I've decided to order the Eibach Springs and upgrade all four corners. I'll wait on replacing the shock absorbers for now, but will keep it in mind for the future. Still undecided regarding the spacers, but I'm tempted to also wait on them and see how the spring installation looks and feels. I don't see the need to increase the ground clearance that much (I live in the city) and not using spacers would also avoid having to get a set of camber bolts for the front. I know that I would have to redo the installation and the wheel alignment if I wanted to add the spacers later on, but all my driving (99%) is done in the city and on highways. What bothers me right now is not being able to use the 3rd row without bottoming out all the time.

On an additional note:
I tried the rear suspension air bags for over a year, but kept having to go back to the shop due to leaks. At the 4th visit, when the shop tried to have the warranty applied once again, Firestone informed us that the product was no longer recommended for the Santa Fe. The bags were removed and money refunded. The only issue was that, in order to fit the bags into the coils originally, they had to removed the bump stops and destroyed them in the process. I now have to purchase a new set and Hyundai charges an arm and a leg for this little piece of rubber. Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations regarding universal fit bump stops? I find it hard to find any specs regarding Hyundai parts (i.e. length and diameter of bump stop and the size of the bolt).

·
Registered
146 Posts
First thing first, a big thanks to everyone for sharing their experience and advice.

After reading (and re-reading) the posts, I've decided to order the Eibach Springs and upgrade all four corners. I'll wait on replacing the shock absorbers for now, but will keep it in mind for the future. Still undecided regarding the spacers, but I'm tempted to also wait on them and see how the spring installation looks and feels. I don't see the need to increase the ground clearance that much (I live in the city) and not using spacers would also avoid having to get a set of camber bolts for the front. I know that I would have to redo the installation and the wheel alignment if I wanted to add the spacers later on, but all my driving (99%) is done in the city and on highways. What bothers me right now is not being able to use the 3rd row without bottoming out all the time.

On an additional note:
I tried the rear suspension air bags for over a year, but kept having to go back to the shop due to leaks. At the 4th visit, when the shop tried to have the warranty applied once again, Firestone informed us that the product was no longer recommended for the Santa Fe. The bags were removed and money refunded. The only issue was that, in order to fit the bags into the coils originally, they had to removed the bump stops and destroyed them in the process. I now have to purchase a new set and Hyundai charges an arm and a leg for this little piece of rubber. Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations regarding universal fit bump stops? I find it hard to find any specs regarding Hyundai parts (i.e. length and diameter of bump stop and the size of the bolt).
You will love the new springs from Eibach. Unless you are going off road or just like the look, there is no reason to order the spacers. The springs on their own will gain you 25mm (about 1 inch) of lift. But the big improvement is the ride and ability to handle load without bottoming. That is where you are going to be very pleased.

As to the bump stops. Have you tried searching online? I have found that dealers seems to have radically different prices for the same part. Also search places like Rock Auto, etc. You should even check some of the salvage yards as there are some that have online parts shopping for takeoff parts.

Good luck. You will really be pleased with the new springs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bump Stops:
I have looked just online and I did noticed that the prices for the original Hyundai part varied greatly. I was thinking of 3rd party, hoping for better quality at the same or reduced price, but there isn't much going on with a bump stop (other than insurance when bottoming out) and I should just order some online and concentrate on the Eibach Springs.

BTW I figured I'll order the springs now and install them late April, early May. I'd like to do the installation myself, less the alignment, but I'll have to wait a bit until the snow melts and I can work without mitts outside :) I'll post pictures when it's done, along with my first impression.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The install isn’t too bad. I did mine in a few hours. Biggest pain of course is getting the spring changed on the strut. I used a spring tool I got from amazon. But it was a bit of a painful experience without a vice to hold the strut.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
The install isn’t too bad. I did mine in a few hours. Biggest pain of course is getting the spring changed on the strut. I used a spring tool I got from amazon. But it was a bit of a painful experience without a vice to hold the strut.
I got a free rental from my local Autozone. Rears are a piece of cake. Glad to see more people jumping on this, it truly changes the driving experience of the Santa Fe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@Dags07 Just wanted to say that your build thread has been fun to follow. I have a 2016 Santa Fe SE Ultimate and I'm seriously considering replacing my springs with some from Eibach but I am having a tough time finding them. The Santa Fe isn't even listed as an optional model when I look on the Eibach website.

If I can actually find the springs for an upgrade, I can just replace them and leave the rest of the stock suspension setup, correct?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
@Dags07 Just wanted to say that your build thread has been fun to follow. I have a 2016 Santa Fe SE Ultimate and I'm seriously considering replacing my springs with some from Eibach but I am having a tough time finding them. The Santa Fe isn't even listed as an optional model when I look on the Eibach website.

If I can actually find the springs for an upgrade, I can just replace them and leave the rest of the stock suspension setup, correct?

Thanks in advance.
@pmillion ; you can leave the rest of the suspension stock. The exact part number is E30-42-031-01-22.

You will not find it in the US Eibach site as this is intended for the European diesel version. However, the suspension is the same and fits without problem.

The easiest place to find them is on eBay using the part number (from European shops). That’s where I got mine from.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@pmillion ; you can leave the rest of the suspension stock. The exact part number is E30-42-031-01-22.

You will not find it in the US Eibach site as this is intended for the European diesel version. However, the suspension is the same and fits without problem.

The easiest place to find them is on eBay using the part number (from European shops). That’s where I got mine from.

Thank you so much for the info!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

My Firlfriend and I are Santa Fe all the way !!!
My girlfriend have a 2019 Santa Fe (2,0L Turbo, 5 seats) since july last year wich run perfectly.
I have a 2019 Santa Fe XL (7 seats, V6, AWD) since june last year and it sagg and bottom out a lot even wich just my 2 kids in the back.

Mine seem to get worst. Seriously thinking about going Dags's way for a solution and for better looking at the same time.
My use is 95% road and the rest is when we go in the bush with a trailer and a ATV (snowmobile in winter) carrying luggage and all required stuffs. No rock crawling for sure, just gravel and some little difficult road that a FWD loaded like mine would have have difficulty on.
I'm not exceeding weigth spec in any way but it seroulsy need a stiffer suspension.
My independant local mecanic (wich i trust) and 2 differents dealers found nothing broken or that need to be replaced.
My trusty mecanic think aftermarket solution is probably the way to go but asked me to go online and find if someone has'nt already find a safe solution to save time (since this generation is in since 2011) and i think i found what i need ! (thanks a lot Dags !!)

What is dazing me is that my girlfriend Santa Fe wich seem to be a generation above mine (since 7 passenger Santa Fe is now replace by Hyundai Palissade) have more clearace and stiffer rear suspension than mine. Look like they fixed this in the last gen.

Having that said, do you think Dags's part will fit in my 2019 ?
I mean :
  • Eibach spring
  • 30mm front Strut spacer
  • 40mm back Coil Spacer
  • Camber bolt (front i guess but will rear need that too ?)
I'm not changing my shock absorber now. I'll do that when OEM will fail.
Since i'm living in Quebec, Canada, road are kind or horrible sometime so shock absorber change may be sooner that normal.

Also, i'm planning doing that when all this Covid-19 stuff will be over (wich can be looong. Also, please take care of you and your family and repect sanitary rules !!!)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Hi all,

My Firlfriend and I are Santa Fe all the way !!!
My girlfriend have a 2019 Santa Fe (2,0L Turbo, 5 seats) since july last year wich run perfectly.
I have a 2019 Santa Fe XL (7 seats, V6, AWD) since june last year and it sagg and bottom out a lot even wich just my 2 kids in the back.

Mine seem to get worst. Seriously thinking about going Dags's way for a solution and for better looking at the same time.
My use is 95% road and the rest is when we go in the bush with a trailer and a ATV (snowmobile in winter) carrying luggage and all required stuffs. No rock crawling for sure, just gravel and some little difficult road that a FWD loaded like mine would have have difficulty on.
I'm not exceeding weigth spec in any way but it seroulsy need a stiffer suspension.
My independant local mecanic (wich i trust) and 2 differents dealers found nothing broken or that need to be replaced.
My trusty mecanic think aftermarket solution is probably the way to go but asked me to go online and find if someone has'nt already find a safe solution to save time (since this generation is in since 2011) and i think i found what i need ! (thanks a lot Dags !!)

What is dazing me is that my girlfriend Santa Fe wich seem to be a generation above mine (since 7 passenger Santa Fe is now replace by Hyundai Palissade) have more clearace and stiffer rear suspension than mine. Look like they fixed this in the last gen.

Having that said, do you think Dags's part will fit in my 2019 ?
I mean :
  • Eibach spring
  • 30mm front Strut spacer
  • 40mm back Coil Spacer
  • Camber bolt (front i guess but will rear need that too ?)
I'm not changing my shock absorber now. I'll do that when OEM will fail.
Since i'm living in Quebec, Canada, road are kind or horrible sometime so shock absorber change may be sooner that normal.

Also, i'm planning doing that when all this Covid-19 stuff will be over (wich can be looong. Also, please take care of you and your family and repect sanitary rules !!!)
Corotte. I totally think this is the solution to all of your problems, specially with how you are using your 2019 Santa Fe XL. The 2017 and 2019 are still the same platform and everything will fit without problems.

The setup you mentioned (30mm fronts, 40mm rears and Eibach loft springs) will give you the maximum lift and leveled look. That is what I am currently running on my OEM shocks and absolutely love it.

As far as camper bolts, you will only need a set (2 bolts come in a set) for the fronts. The rear has plenty of motion range and everything goes within spec.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Corotte. I totally think this is the solution to all of your problems, specially with how you are using your 2019 Santa Fe XL. The 2017 and 2019 are still the same platform and everything will fit without problems.

The setup you mentioned (30mm fronts, 40mm rears and Eibach loft springs) will give you the maximum lift and leveled look. That is what I am currently running on my OEM shocks and absolutely love it.

As far as camper bolts, you will only need a set (2 bolts come in a set) for the fronts. The rear has plenty of motion range and everything goes within spec.

Thanks a lot for the infos.

I'll also speak with the dealer that sold me the vehicle because it is covered not only by the manufacturer waranty but also by one of their own extended waranty (10 years, 200 000km) to be sure it won't void anything. I don't think the manufacturer waranty will void but i want to be safe on both part since i mostly buy the vehicule there for the extended waranty.

If everything go well, i'll try to post picture before and after with both Santa Fe for comparison.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts