Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! Just wanted to introduce myself in the Santa Fe forum and show you what my wife and I created.

We love camping, hiking and being out on the road. We decided to turn our 2017 Santa FE AWD into a camper. We will be creating a YouTube channel and Instagram of our adventures. Feel free to ask anything!

We are still missing a couple things to finish. But it is 90% done! Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent design and the craftsmanship looks great! How much does it weigh?

Thank you. I would say around 200lbs? I removed the second row of seats to have under storage as well, so the weight added is not as much as it looks. Main structure was done with 3/4” plywood and the drawers/tables with 1/2” plywood (except center one which is 3/4” for greater strength).

Here are some pictures of the lower support “beams”. This was before I built the raised storage compartments.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice work and looks like fun (except my bride's idea of camping is the Holiday Inn...) Do you have some kind of bug screens for open windows while camping, or do you just run the A/C all night? :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice work and looks like fun (except my bride's idea of camping is the Holiday Inn...) Do you have some kind of bug screens for open windows while camping, or do you just run the A/C all night? :)

Thank you! Yes we bought a mosquito screen that goes over the door. That way we can have the windows open and be mosquito free .

I will do a tour of the entire camper as soon as we load it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see you have a replacement trailer hitch cover (not painted). Mine is the same black as yours... vehicle is Iron Frost. I backed into a hardened snow bank and cracked the original THC painted in Iron Frost. The black of the THC blends in with the black trim on the bumper cover... so I just left it as is... I have the Tech Pack and I still break the car... Sheesh... 8(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see you have a replacement trailer hitch cover (not painted). Mine is the same black as yours... vehicle is Iron Frost. I backed into a hardened snow bank and cracked the original THC painted in Iron Frost. The black of the THC blends in with the black trim on the bumper cover... so I just left it as is... I have the Tech Pack and I still break the car... Sheesh... 8(

I lost it on the highway after avoiding some debris. I actually sanded it and painted it flat black to match the bumper trim.

Dealer wanted $300 to paint it...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good eye Karma :) It's just a matter of time before I lose my Iron Frost hitch cover too, as much as I keep taking it on and off...
Not to derail the thread, but where did you find your replacement hitch cover?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good eye Karma It's just a matter of time before I lose my Iron Frost hitch cover too, as much as I keep taking it on and off...

Not to derail the thread, but where did you find your replacement hitch cover?

Got it from the dealership. It is not expensive at all. The part number is 86689-B8700.

I forgot to mention. The original cover is not painted in Iron Frost, it is called Silver A or something like that. It is the default silver color for the trim. The dealership didn’t event have a paint code for it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I wanted to give a little update on the build. I know this might cause some discussions but still decided to post this as I consider it part of this build thread.

I have been doing a lot of research on how to increase the ground clearance on the Santa Fe, specially since my wife and I are planning to road trip to “not your regular” campground, more like primitive where the road takes us. We already did a trip like this to Colorado and did some off road camping. The Santa Fe behaved better than I expected, the only thing I was disappointed was ground clearance (completely destroyed a muffler cover, hence the quad tips replacement).

I want to leave this clear (since I’ve read some posts in this forum), I know the Santa Fe is not an off road vehicle and we are not planning to go rock crawling. We purchased the Santa Fe for the long run (to have kids, and since the family loves to come in town, the third row was a must).

I purchased both lift springs (from Germany) and strut spacers (from Russia). This will give me about +55mm (~2 inches) of ground clearance. Likewise, I have my eyes on a set of Off road shocks made by Koni (from England) that might purchase if I feel necessary.

I am also planning to get all terrain tires in 245/60/18 Continental TerrainContact.
A little increase in ground clearance (~.5 inches) and the speedometer will not be so far off. I was considering 255/55/18 to be same as OEM, but I rather upgrade.

Just wanted to keep you guys updated
@Basshound @Karma17 @squid13 @HighDesertMan

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the update Dags...Your SF is going to have the clearance of a Monster Truck... ?

Hahaha. We’ll see how it comes out. If it is too much I will only use the springs. I should be able to achieve close to 10 inches of ground clearance. That is massive if you consider that the Jeep Rubicon comes standard with that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Part one arrived! Waiting on the spacer before putting these on. I don’t feel like taking the shocks out and aligning the Santa Fe twice.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts