Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe, Calligraphy, AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just took delivery of a 2021 Santa Fe with the Harmon Kardon sound system. I initially loved it when I tested out a few sirius xm channels. However I connected my cell phone (via bluetooth) and started playing some songs through Spotify and that's when I started noticing a rattling noise.

I know this is going to sound like I'm just cranking my speakers up too loud with the bass setting far too high, however I've really been trying to tweak all possible settings on my phone (spotify) as well as the head-unit to eliminate the issue. Once I go above 15-20 volume setting (25% ish) and a decent bass note hits I almost hear a metal rattle sound and it's coming from the sub-woofer in the rear. To be sure I parked the car and opened up the trunk and put my head right next to the sub grill area.

I'd completely understand if this only happened while I had the stereo completely cranked up with a bass booster in effect. I'm truly not trying to blow out the subwoofer nor am I expecting some ungodly amount of bass from this system. I'm considering popping open the grill in front of the subwoofer, although I'm not entirely sure how to do so and what to look out for. Perhaps something is loose and causing the rattle, or the speaker is blown out from the factory? The car only had 2 miles on it when I purchased it.

If you have any ideas, I am all ears!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Limited AWD, Stormy Sea
97 Posts
Mine does not rattle like that. I would take it to the dealer before trying to fix it yourself. If you mess with it and can't fix it then it may be even harder to get them to fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine does not rattle like that. I would take it to the dealer before trying to fix it yourself. If you mess with it and can't fix it then it may be even harder to get them to fix it under warranty.
You’re right. I was just concerned about how backed up the service department has been, it’s going to take a week or so before they can get me in. I agree though, it’s better to wait and let them deal with it rather than risk the warranty.

When I called the service dept., they said it sounds like possibly some of the speaker harness or something could have been missing or improperly installed at the factory but they’ll have to wait to see it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You’re right. I was just concerned about how backed up the service department has been, it’s going to take a week or so before they can get me in. I agree though, it’s better to wait and let them deal with it rather than risk the warranty.

When I called the service dept., they said it sounds like possibly some of the speaker harness or something could have been missing or improperly installed at the factory but they’ll have to wait to see it.
I can see how that might be annoying for a week or more. I would just be concerned about breaking something while trying to get in there, but I haven't really looked to see how that is all put together, either. It is probably the wiring harness or something that is loose. Hopefully someone will see this who has already removed the panel for some reason.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,327 Posts
If u break something (probably clips), u will know. If they break them, u will not know! But u will be more careful then them!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can see how that might be annoying for a week or more. I would just be concerned about breaking something while trying to get in there, but I haven't really looked to see how that is all put together, either. It is probably the wiring harness or something that is loose. Hopefully someone will see this who has already removed the panel for some reason.
Absolutely. Brand new vehicle with a pretty decent sound system as far as I can tell, just an annoyance when I want to listen to any bass heavy music.

It would be great if someone else has already cracked it open and has some input. I think I’ve got the plastic pry tools that should safely get it open, I’d just want some proper direction instead of making any assumptions just poking around on my own.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I didn't put a lot of time into it, but I looked at mine and pulled out my plastic interior tool set. None of my plastic pry tools were small enough to get behind the grill and I'm still not sure the grill is even a separate piece. It may just be molded to look like it is separate. What I could grab of it didn't feel like it was meant to separate from the rest of the side panel. I didn't want to try sticking a small screwdriver or something in there and risk damaging the plastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't put a lot of time into it, but I looked at mine and pulled out my plastic interior tool set. None of my plastic pry tools were small enough to get behind the grill and I'm still not sure the grill is even a separate piece. It may just be molded to look like it is separate. What I could grab of it didn't feel like it was meant to separate from the rest of the side panel. I didn't want to try sticking a small screwdriver or something in there and risk damaging the plastic.
Really appreciate you taking a look if it was on account of this thread. I did the same thing, ran my fingers around it and came to the same conclusion. Really hard to tell if it's meant to be pried on or if other trim pieces need removed to gain access to it. The car is too new to find any videos or anything on Youtube.

Thankfully I have an apt set for the 28th and they'll get to take a look at it then. It seems like it happens a bit less when I just listen to Sirius XM radio stations, especially my guilty pleasure Howard Stern. I'll have to manage until then.

Got the front windows tinted today to match the back windows. Looks so much better and should help with this crazy midwest heat/sun we've been getting.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
897 Posts
Does someone with a 2019/2020 have one of those service manuals? I assume the process would be the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts