Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone... I have a 2017 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate. Love it and have enjoyed the vehicle the last 6 months. My question is, and I understand this may be a dumb question, do you guys rotate your tires? I have heard conflicting things on rotating tires for AWD. I have heard you dont have to since all the tires are spinning not just the front. Then Ihave heard you should rotate them because sometimes the AWD is on only when the car thinks you need it. Im a little confused and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I would definitely rotate them. I choose to do mine at the same time as the oil change for convenience, so that is around every 4,000 miles.

The AWD is really not a player as far as the need for rotations. It is items like the steering geometry that make the difference. If the tires are left in the same position you may have more wear on some tires than others and cupping may also become an issue. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you do not rotate you will be replacing tires earlier than if you do rotate. I have a relative whose co workers convinced him not to rotate his tires because it was all a scam designed to rip him off. He came to me one day asking me about a vibration he had. As I walked out to his car......His front tires were so badly cupped you could see it from 20 feet away. They looked like a stop sign.....Normally you have to be fairly close to a tire or even run your hands over the tread to detect cupping.

Where AWD does make a difference....If you have a flat and the tire must be replaced and you now have one new tire and three with substantial wear you may have to replace all four to keep the AWD system happy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rotate them. Keep in mind this isn't AWD like certain vehicles where the power is split 50/50 all the time or one where all four tires are always driving the vehicle.

Under normal conditions it is a front wheel drive biased system so the front wheels will always be under more load than the rears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
918 Posts
I agreed with both gentlemen above and yes rotating tires would be ideal, I keep it simple by rotating mine after every winter tires change because we don't drive that much mileage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rotate them. Keep in mind this isn't AWD like certain vehicles where the power is split 50/50 all the time or one where all four tires are always driving the vehicle.

Under normal conditions it is a front wheel drive biased system so the front wheels will always be under more load than the rears.

I thought AWD was only enabled if your press the button for it. Otherwise its FWD only?
I also heard (which may not be true) that it has 4 wheel traction control. Can anyone here confirm/deny that?

·
Registered
837 Posts
The AWD is an "on demand" type system, it will engage when it detects front wheel slip. Pushing the AWD button will lock it into AWD, but only up to a certain speed (I seem to recall it being about 35mph) then it reverts to FWD. I can't really say for sure that it has traction control but I believe it does.

Rotating the tires is a good plan as far as I'm concerned, not only evens the wear on the tires but also give you or the mechanic a chance to check for other things such as damaged suspension components, brake lining wear, axle leaks and whatever else.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The AWD is an "on demand" type system, it will engage when it detects front wheel slip. Pushing the AWD button will lock it into AWD, but only up to a certain speed (I seem to recall it being about 35mph) then it reverts to FWD. I can't really say for sure that it has traction control but I believe it does.

Rotating the tires is a good plan as far as I'm concerned, not only evens the wear on the tires but also give you or the mechanic a chance to check for other things such as damaged suspension components, brake lining wear, axle leaks and whatever else.
I didnt think AWD disengaged when the AWD lock is on, as there are warnings not to use AWD at speed.
I know most other AWD cars typically auto work at low speeds and then revert to FWD usually around 20-35MPH. But i am not aware of how the Santa Fe system works

·
Registered
837 Posts
I didnt think AWD disengaged when the AWD lock is on, as there are warnings not to use AWD at speed.
I know most other AWD cars typically auto work at low speeds and then revert to FWD usually around 20-35MPH. But i am not aware of how the Santa Fe system works
From the owners manual of mine:

AWD Lock:
This mode is used for climbing or descending sharp grades, off road driving, driving on sandy and muddy roads, etc., to maximize traction.

This mode automatically begins to deactivate at speeds above 30 km/h (19 mph) and is shifted to AWD AUTO mode at speed above 40 km/h (25 mph). If the vehicle decelerates to speeds below 30 km/h (19 mph), however, the transfer mode is shifted into AWD LOCK mode again.

It does warn that leaving the vehicle in AWD LOCK will result in additional noise and wear due to it staying in AWD at slow speeds instead of reverting to FWD.

I hope this helps. Those pesky manuals!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Bulls_33: yes I rotate my tires, reason, the fronts are scrubbed as you drive because you are making turns. By rotating all four tires you equal the ware across all four.

regards
Ramjet

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
4 Wheel traction control. Hmm. Never gave that a thought as to whether it does or not. I'm going to take a flying guess and say yes. The stability control can apply the brakes at any wheel to help maintain control as needed so it might follow that the traction control has that capability as well.

Traction control can also reduce engine power if the wheel braking is not sufficient. I used to run up against that at times when we had our Entourage.

I rarely hear or feel the traction control operate as the on demand AWD normally handles most situations based upon my driving style. In REALLY icy conditions or really deep snow I do sometimes use the AWD lock as I find that the vehicle does seem to handle accelerating turns through intersections better. The key there is to remember to turn it back off......

You can also switch the traction control off if needed as might be the case if you do manage to get the vehicle stuck.

·
Registered
2018 Santa Fe Sport Limited 2.0T AWD
334 Posts
Hi everyone.

I thought I would hop on this thread and ask an additional question. I have a 2018 Santa Fe Sport Limited with AWD. Can you please let me know what tire rotation pattern should be used for my vehicle type? Should I use a X pattern? Your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hi everyone.

I thought I would hop on this thread and ask an additional question. I have a 2018 Santa Fe Sport Limited with AWD. Can you please let me know what tire rotation pattern should be used for my vehicle type? Should I use a X pattern? Your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!
I always rotate tires front to back on all of my vehicles regardless if it’s AWD or FWD, I’ll only do the X pattern if 2 of my tires are worn out uneven. Again other people might have done it differently but most common would be front to back or vice versa!!

·
Registered
2018 Santa Fe Sport Limited 2.0T AWD
334 Posts
I always rotate tires front to back on all of my vehicles regardless if it’s AWD or FWD, I’ll only do the X pattern if 2 of my tires are worn out uneven. Again other people might have done it differently but most common would be front to back or vice versa!!

Thanks for your response DINO2K.

So no crossing needed for our vehicles like a forward X pattern?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Move fronts straight back to rear.
Cross rear to front
This way each tire spends time at all 4 corners..

Thats the way I've always been taught (unless they are directional tires)
and
The owners manual agrees....
Capture.PNG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts