Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else ever encountered a clunk when pulling away from a junction when towing? Taken it to my local garage and he says it's possibly something to do with a rod that goes from the transmission box to the rear of the car, he's never worked on one before. But he suspects it's a buffer in the transition box causing the issue. But it's a big job to get the box-off and could end up paying a lot of money and that not even being the issue!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome to the forums Katie (and Ian). If you don;t mind take a moment to click on the "User CP" link (near the top left of the screen) and then "Edit your Details" on the left side. Complete the fields there so we know what specific car and options you have, plus your location.

I'm not sure what a "56 plate" refers to.

The "rod that goes from the transmission box to the rear of the car" sounds like a driveshaft to me and the use of the term "transmission box" makes me think you're in the UK. Since you have a driveshaft going to the rear of the car, then you must have a 4 wheel drive model, yes?

A driveshaft has universal joints which can go bad and make a clunk when power is applied or removed (e.g. getting on or off the gas pedal), but an experienced mechanic can fairly easily test them by hand under the car.

If this happens only when pulling away from a stop when towing.....
It's more likely (to me) that your tow hitch is improperly mounted (e.g. loose bolts) or the ball is improperly sized for the trailer. The round ball of the hitch comes in at least 3 sizes here in the US and using a smaller ball with a trailer designed for a larger ball can easily result in the ball banging around in there. It's also dangerous as the trailer could pop off the ball when going over bumps and potholes. Example I used a 1 7/8" ball to pull a trailer with a 2" hitch last week. I realized I had the wrong ball as a pulled away from the first stop sign - because of the big clunk. I went back home to swap to the proper size ball and everything was smooth from there.

If the hitch is noisy (e.g. from using mismatched components) then there's nothing wrong with the car itself. Just be sure to use the correctly matched towing components so your trailer stays safely attached to your car.

Give us some more details if this doesn't help you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts