Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my second hand (just bought) SF2G throws out a lot of smoke (far more than I have experienced before with other oil burners---audi; mitsubishi) when accelerating in all gears. The effect is not continuous but I am a bit alarmed because of the amount.

Is this a symptom of this model and perhaps exacerbated by the fact that there are twin, flat, exiting (ie not pointing down) exhaust pipes?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (complicity @ Jul 20 2009, 02:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=250059
Hi, my second hand (just bought) SF2G throws out a lot of smoke (far more than I have experienced before with other oil burners---audi; mitsubishi) when accelerating in all gears. The effect is not continuous but I am a bit alarmed because of the amount.

Is this a symptom of this model and perhaps exacerbated by the fact that there are twin, flat, exiting (ie not pointing down) exhaust pipes?

Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the forum complicity. My experience with a 08 diesel 2.2 is that it rarely if ever burns smoke. It could reasonably expect some smoke on start up, but it runs smokeless. As it is still under 5 yr manufactures warranty any issues should be covered.Was it doing this prior to purchase? I presume the service history is as per hyundai recommendations and the vehicle hasn't done excessive miles. Maybe the Catalytic particulate filter could be clogged? Good luck :00000732:

·
Registered
23 Posts
As a diesel tech the first and easiest diag issues you can do yourself is to look at the air filter. The more dirt and fine particulate matter the filter assumes the more the restricting force the turbo has to work against by drawing air through that filter. Energy is being wasted, and the "Map" of the turbo is being shifted twards the negative. When this happens the drive pressures needed to generate the positive charge into the intake side of the engine versus the exhaust "Drive pressure" is off balance meaning the engine is working harder to produce the same amount of given h.p. and having to give up clean air in the process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts