Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i would like to change my rear disc on my Santa Fe sport 2.0 Turbo 2016. I checked it today but I don't able to remove my disc. I changed brake pads and disc FRONT and i have no problem.

At the rear side, I'm ok to remove the pads but when i need to remove the disc it's blocked...

Do you have tutorial about that please :( ??

Thank you VERY much !!

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
If you can't figure it out by looking maybe try a Haynes manual.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi,

i would like to change my rear disc on my Santa Fe sport 2.0 Turbo 2016. I checked it today but I don't able to remove my disc. I changed brake pads and disc FRONT and i have no problem.

At the rear side, I'm ok to remove the pads but when i need to remove the disc it's blocked...

Do you have tutorial about that please :( ??

Thank you VERY much !!

Parking brake is integrated on the rear inside of rotors release the parking brake then pull on the rotor. if it still wont come off? then there held on by rust thats stoping them to slide out. youl need a small mallet to hit the rotor from behind until it comes loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How can I release the parking brake exactly ? With the small star wheel inside the hole ? Thanks :) !

·
Registered
678 Posts
How can I release the parking brake exactly ? With the small star wheel inside the hole ? Thanks :) !
If Your talking about the little round rubber thats covering up the hole found on the outside of the rotor for Parking brake adjustment No, Leave it alone Yours is a 2016 no need for that, i meant releasing the Parking rear brakes from inside the vehicle down by the left side foot area, Yours is a 2016? So you would have the 2 star screws from factory on the rotors You need to get those off 1st with-out stripping them once there off then it should free up the rotor loose if it still

dont come off then its Rusted on the inside rust will form a lip on the inside disc/rotor all thats needed in this case a steel head Mallet and tap it from the back side to break it free if still dont break the rotors Free your going to have to be more agressive on hitting the back and front of them hard.! to break them free i have had to do this on 2 ocasions on 2 different vehicles i owned.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
226 Posts
Like others said, you have a rust lips all around the inside of the rotor, causing the inside parking brake shoes to stick against it.

But you will have to adjust the adjuster that is hidden behing the little rubber cover to relase all adjustment on the shoes. (turn the star wheel with a flat screwdriver)

If you dont do it and you just smash on the rotor, you risk having the parking shoes come off from the assembly and pulling the shoe locking pin thru the rear cover (ask me how I know....)

Its easy to readjust the parking brake after you install the new rotor.

At the same time, check for good and easy operation of the parking brake lever (the one that is inside the rubber boot, where the cable pull on it). Mine was rusted and didnt move on one side, so only one side was applying the parking brake.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Like others said, you have a rust lips all around the inside of the rotor, causing the inside parking brake shoes to stick against it.

But you will have to adjust the adjuster that is hidden behing the little rubber cover to relase all adjustment on the shoes. (turn the star wheel with a flat screwdriver)

If you dont do it and you just smash on the rotor, you risk having the parking shoes come off from the assembly and pulling the shoe locking pin thru the rear cover (ask me how I know....)

Its easy to readjust the parking brake after you install the new rotor.

At the same time, check for good and easy operation of the parking brake lever (the one that is inside the rubber boot, where the cable pull on it). Mine was rusted and didnt move on one side, so only one side was applying the parking brake.

Problem is if he turns the star wheel the wrong way tightening the parking brakes against the rotors, rather than Loosening them. this is why i recommended Leaving the parking brake alone. i have never had to do that on my other vehicles Not recently Yet on rear disc brakes. that for me would be a last ditch attempt if worse came to worse. LOL

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
226 Posts
If he turn the wrong way, the parking brakes will tighten agains the rotor yes. Thats easy to feel that the rotor no more turning, and thats mean he just have to turn the other way.

For sure thats the last solution, if the rotor is not stuck because of rust on the hub itself, of if he didnt remove the 2 star screw first.

But if the rotor is moving only a little and when forcing agains it to remove it there is a small "spring-like" force against it, it because of the parking brake shoes stuck against the rust lip, so you have to loosen them or risk pulling them by force (depending of the rust lips size...) when harmmering on the rotor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts