Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 Santa fe and I am pondering if I should get the $860.00/year insurance for windshield replacement or I should just save some money and change it in a few years.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (manolete @ Jul 19 2010, 07:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343063
I just bought a 2010 Santa fe and I am pondering if I should get the $860.00/year insurance for windshield replacement or I should just save some money and change it in a few years.
Geez - THAT'S stiff! Down here to the south (well, in Colorado anyway) they throw in $0 deductible glass as long as you go with the $250 overall deductible. The difference per year isn't anywhere near your price, though.

I haven't had to use it on my SF yet, and we do bang a lot of glass out here, but I've only had it on the road for around 23K miles. Airflow and windshield angle + local environment will create the averages -- dunno how the SF does. Mine's OK so far, and I usually go through a windshield every 2 years or so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
QUOTE (manolete @ Jul 20 2010, 03:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343063
Are you saying the cost of the special windshield cover is $860 per year, or is that figure the maximum you can claim per year on glass?

·
Registered
116 Posts
That rate makes no sense. Here glass is covered by comprehensive.

I have just over 15,000 kms on mine and its just 3 months old. My original windshield got taken out by a bolt that got flung by a Transport going in the other direction.
The replacement just took a rock this past weekend. Depending on how it spreads, I might hold out on getting the replacement replaced for a while yet.
Not sure about on all 2010 models, but in my Sport, it has a windshield wiper heating element down where the wipers "park" and according to the auto glass company, that significantly drives up the cost of replacements.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I wonder why it would significantly drive up the costs. The rear windows have wiper mounts and heat elements. Like other mentioned that's a crazy price to pay. I recently had my passenger window replaced after it got hit by a thief. The total cost was $200. I know it's cheaper than the windshield, but your deductable should be lower than that right?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Something is out of whack here. For the average adult with a good record it shouldn't cost much more than that to insure the whole car for year.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
For $860 a year insurance you could replace the windshield every four months (whether it needed it or not) and still save money. I don't know who tried to sell this to you but it screams rip-off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Keep in mind the OP is in canada.

I would think even in canada, your auto insurance would cover your windshield just like it covers the rest.
In Florida, by law, insurance has to pay for your windshield with 0 deductable, and you can get 3 a year (as i recall).
You can get a ticket for having a cracked windshield, I think they implemented that law so people wouldn't have an excuse to not get it fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (MalagaMan @ Jul 20 2010, 02:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343128
Are you saying the cost of the special windshield cover is $860 per year, or is that figure the maximum you can claim per year on glass?
Yes I mean the cost of insurance per year just for the windshield part is $860.00 on top of around $900 for the rest of the car insurance

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (manolete @ Jul 21 2010, 07:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343755
Yes I mean the cost of insurance per year just for the windshield part is $860.00 on top of around $900 for the rest of the car insurance
Gack. I'd start shopping around for insurance, advising each that you want the price that includes $0 deductible glass. I've never heard of a surcharge as high as what you're describing.

Are there a whole series of rock quarries in your neighborhood and a lot of gravel roads or something else we don't know about? :whistling: If you were living in downtown Kandahar I could understand it, but ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (manolete @ Jul 21 2010, 10:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343755

Wow, that's insane!

What province are you in? I'm in Nova Scotia and I've never heard of an additional charge for windshield coverage. I would question the company giving you that quote and then get quotes from other insurance companies.

·
Registered
211 Posts
QUOTE (trucker @ Jul 20 2010, 05:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343145
'$860.00/year insurance for windshield replacement' ????

What does that mean? Makes no sense.
It makes no sense if you don't think about it. "Up" here, there is a lot more snow and salt isn't used on the roads. Conservatively, I would estimate over 50% of cars (even 2 yrs or newer) have cracks running across the windshield - including mine. My insurance company quoted me $660 for winshield on top of my comprehensive. When I lived in Ontario (where salt is used), it was included.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i don't understand... some of you make it sound like you replace windshields like it's a pair of brake pads, a wearable part. is that right? as far as insurance, here its covered under normal insurance- no need for special coverage. as far as replacement, safelite charges $250 to replace the front windshield, out of pocket

·
Registered
211 Posts
QUOTE (looney @ Jul 25 2010, 10:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344554
i don't understand... some of you make it sound like you replace windshields like it's a pair of brake pads, a wearable part. is that right? as far as insurance, here its covered under normal insurance- no need for special coverage. as far as replacement, safelite charges $250 to replace the front windshield, out of pocket
Where I live, if a cracked windshield bothers you, you would replace it more frequently than your brake pads. Should be laws that cars/trucks (i.e. Ford, Chev and Crystler) require mudflaps!
I'm trying to find a supplier of that static cling plastic wrap that you find on monitors, new TVs, clock radios etc used to protect it during shipping. I found someone when I lived down south but no luck up here. I was hoping I could roll it on the windshield and get an unnoticeable bond and it would reduce stone chips when I am on road trips. Not sure if it would stand up to the wind though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here in Columbus Ohio I replaced my winshield w/ Safelite. $237.00 installed. Includes the heating element and brand new wipers included. Windshield is identical to OEM, but make sure if you have homelink on rearview mirror the braket that holds it in place is different than the base model. :banana:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all so here is the story:

I phoned Speedy Glass and was quoted $700.00 dlls to replace the windshield. I was told to be very careful is someone else offers me the same windshield for $300 because that is not the same glass and it will crack right away (!?). I am really bothered by the lies and how everyone has a story and tries to screw the money out of you. The Finance office at the dealership we bought the Santa Fe at, the woman there said that I would need to pay $1,500 to replace and that I should buy the diamond fusion from her, that is why I posted the question. Then this guy at speedy is again telling me a tragic exaggerated story to sell me a $700 dollar windshield. I am very satisfied with my two Hyundais they were both bought from the same sales man that is a very nice guy unlike most car salesmen. On the other hand the Finance office in the dealership is a Den of lions that lie and cheat to sell you snake oil. Luckily I did not buy any of her snake oil but got me thinking...To Hyundai I say this: I reiterate how satisfied I am with your cars but to allow lies, exaggerations and cheating at the Finance office works against the reputation of the brand I think some standards should be set and followed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts