Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Just bought 2006 Santa Fe with nearly 200k, diesel, automatic gearbox.
When putting in drive and starting to drive a weird scratching noise comes from under the car, sometimes louder, sometimes no. I thaught its brake disc scratching, but no, the noise comes from somewhere under the driver.

What can be the problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Didzis. I have the same problem with my 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe, manual transmission. The noise seems to come out of the legroom in front of the car. From what I read while surfing either in YouTube or in several forums this kind of sound is due to bad front lower arm ball joints. An owner of a Kia was having the exact problem while driving but permanently, louder or not.

It puzzled me a lot. I also thought that was the front disk brakes, so I took them off, cleaned them using brake carb cleaner and greased them with copper grease, suitable for brakes. The problem was still there, so I figured out that the noise is due to lower arm ball joints. I inspected them and I found out that the rubber in one of lower arm ball joints is cracked. Another clue was the fact that when I was driving during a rainy day, the scratching noise was gone!!!!! Seems that the rain water acted like lubrication to the ball joints. Then came back the next day. Also this noise is appearing when the car is driven for a period of time, not from the very beginning. I didn't yet replaced the lower arm ball joints because it is the time to replace tires also, so I am going to replace them at the same time and see if the noise will go once for all. What I forgot to tell you is that I will try to lubricate the ball joints using spray grease (I think white lithium grease will be ok). I 'see the result and come back with details.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts