Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my starter on my V6 and needed to lower my exhaust down to remove the starter. Only 4 bolts on the exhaust and of course one needs to be a problem. I couldn't remove the nut on the rear flange (see photo) and ended up using some penetrating oil on it over night. Tried it the next day and the nut seemed to come off fairly easy, without any significant force. My excitement was soon over when I tried to put the nut back on. It would only thread on 1/3 of the way. After inspection it appears a couple threads have failed (see photo).

My idea and I wanted to ask others who have more experience, is to detach the exhaust O2, and lower the exhaust pipe down (see photo) to get enough clearance to get a die in there and run it over the bolt. There is enough threads on there if I can just get past the broken thread. I plan on keeping this car as a backup second and don't want to screw myself if i need to remove this in a future repair.

Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
if you got a bunch of stainless washers over the stud do you think you can get enough of the nut on there to hold? i did'nt think you had to drop the exhaust to get the starter out. just take the pan off and wiggle it out but i could be wrong.

btw i don't blame you for wanting to hold on to the car it looks like it's in good shape underneath for a 12 year old.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Tap & die the hardware,, and slap dab of anti-seize to threads..

You stuff look like new compared to what I see on chassis that old around here,,, we keep new nuts and bolts in stock here

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
MAN....That thing looks like new compared to most I've seen at less than half that age. That will clean up fine by just running a #8 nut onto it. The hardened nut will not strip and will hold well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car was originally from California with mostly freeway miles. Maybe that's why it looks clean. 160k and it runs great. Some small issues came up but I've been able to fix them. The starter thing was odd as every once in a while the car would try and start and all you would get is a click coming from the starter but would eventually start. But it only happened once a month. I checked and replaced the cheap basic stuff but I could hear the starter click so I'm making an educated guess its a bad solenoid. Wish me luck. The starter is in, just need that **** nut to go on :)

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
BTW using a hardened nut will cut the old threads about as well as a die.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts