Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Apologies for me being new to the community and starting to ask questions but I am in a tough spot and I need some help.

I own a Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0 CRDi 125 hp 4WD Facelift, manual transmission, 2004 make (2005 reg) for about a year now.
After I bought the car it went through initial servicing (oil, pulleys, belts, brake fluid, brake pads, thermostat etc..) and after a couple hundred km 3 of the injectors had to be serviced. After all of the this the car was running OK and the oil level stayed the same for about 3 thousand km (5W40 Titan was used).
After that I had a 1k km trip on which I pushed the car hard - basically the whole trip was over/around 3300 rpm on 5th. After the trip I noticed that there was a substantial part of the oil missing. I had to add about 1.3 liters (5W40 Total was used to top up). The oil level notification on the dashboard did not come on during or after the trip. I know these hold 5.9l of oil but still 1.3l down is a lot.
After this trip I started topping up around 300ml for every 1k km.
I started worrying that the turbo is bad and that I might have run away diesel and because of that I went to two shops to check it and they stated that the turbo is OK. Meaning the oil consumption was caused by blowby and best case scenario is piston rings change.
In the meantime the flywheel has started to sound louder - before that it was only a slight play in the clutch pedal when held in the middle of its way.

Basically the thing is that I cannot sell the car at this state - at least not for adequate money. I have invested a lot in this car - 5 new tires that have less than 5k km and other stuff.
I am not sure if it makes sense to repair it - when the engine is pulled apart we might find that basically the cylinder walls are no good (or pistons) and a whole new block (better yet an engine) is needed which means a lot of money.

I am trying to lift my spirits up and to think that if I decide to go with the repair (flywheel, clutch, piston rings and etc..) I can at least improve the car.
Meaning maybe I can use different parts to at least make it a little bit quicker since these 125hp for this big chassis are not that much. Basically to pay for something more than just a repair and justify the money that will be spent. Make not mistake I do not have cash lying around for such things but I need a car for my family.

Sorry for the long explanation but I wanted to describe my situation the best possible way.

Basically my questions:
- is it worth to repair it
- if I decide to repair it is there a possibility to use different parts in order to improve the performance of the vehicle

I do not want to sell it to some poor guy that will have to deal with this, I cannot conceal it - my conscious won't let me do it.

Overall I like the car, I like the ride, I like the space, I like the km/l and it is the first car I have bough myself.

Thank you in advance and I apologies for the long post.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
461 Posts
I would first get a more accurate diagnosis of the engine's condition (compression test, check for oil consumption from worn valve guides etc.). If you are otherwise happy with the car it might warrant repairs or an engine rebuild, depending on the problem & cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Packard8 and thank you for the reply!

Basically on both places where they checked the turbo they declined to do a compression test because there was not point (by their words) .. these engines were known for faults and if the turbo is OK then it means the engine is worn. The other place to do a compression test is Hyundai itself but they charge for it like half of what a labor cost would be to change the rings.
Regarding the valves - I have also been asking for that but for some reason they are telling me that they should remove the head in order to check them which of course is a costly service.
They advised me to switch from 5W40 to 10W40 and see if the oil is still being burned. However I have like 3k km left from the old oil and I was planning to change it earlier but now the flywheel can be clearly heard when the car is idling. It is grinding and knocking ... so now I am a little concerned to travel far with the car and basically drive it at all.
It seems that in order to have a compression test and valve check I will have to spend like half of the labor costs for the repairs ... I am trying to avoid that since I have spent already money on diagnosis and this is why I was wondering if there are some improvements I can go for with the repairs to justify the reconditioning of a 13 year old car and the money that will have to be spent (except for the fact that I like it of course).
I do not want to hit the point of no return and keep paying for something that I should have left :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts