Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you experiencing bellow concerns in your (2006-2009) 2.2CRDi Santa fe, Pls be vigilant

uneven turbo lag
low mileage in fuel
Valve clatter or increased rattle in low RPM (bellow 2000rpm)
insufficient pulling power
transmission shifting delay

all above issues may occur due to single sensor failure, you can make all of them more complicated if not properly diagnosed.
SF 06-09 equipped VGT-n turbo charger and has serious impact on above concerns. VGT unit vents are operated by turbo charger in-built actuator and its commanded by electronically operated VGT boost pressure controller valve. (see attached picture for the location of the valve). For theoretical background visit bellow link
http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/subsites/diag/6lvgtguide.pdf
Although its different manufacture, Hyundai use same concept. malfunctioning of this valve could lead all above listed issues and overall dissatisfied driving pleasure. Most important fact in this case, the vale is simply replace by own self in 5 minutes and you can order it on-line bellow 100$. Had same issue of mine after 75K-kms done and replaced myself. I share this tip with you considering the diesel guys who already suffer. pls check and comment

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently struggled with a "not fully functional" oxygen sensor causing strange paramtre behaveour for the VGT temp. and cat. temp. sensors, less performance and low milage in fuel as well with a sticky EGR valve causing diagnostic code P1405.
That's my conclusion as replacing the sensors and cleaning the EGR valve fixed the engine issues.

Anyway, regarding "Valve clatter or increased rattle in low RPM (bellow 2000rpm)"
I have this noise in my engine and have had it since i bought the car for the last 20K (km), the valve noise is "hard" occassionally at low RPM until the engine is hot.
In my mind have this valve noise been caused by the EGR valve as it opens at low RPM if im correct, from my understanding is that normal for this diesel engine?

I will check if the noise starts when the EGR valve opens, if not mayby i should replace the VGT boost PCV as the car has don 140K (km). So far doesn't the engine have any other symptoms then the valve noise at cold engine.

Thanks for lots of good information.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when I examine the problem, there were no diagnostic codes detected related to VGT or any, but at that time valve malfunctioning. May be due to limited sensors in my SF- GLS as PCM won't detect all errors. However, I felt sudden performance decrease specially in < 2000RPM. There is some other way to detect the issue, perform this in engine operating temp. not cold start. while you drive in peaceful road, Push throttle quickly up to 3000 RPM and release, like you sprint and off. you will hear turbo pressure leaking strange noise "cheow" from VGT. (better open front windows). so that how I detect the issue. Anyway, average price of the valve is nearly 300$, but I brought Genuine part from Korea online for 76$. If your replacing alone, make sure not to change valve hose inlet and outlet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm experiencing this kind of problem. hope it would help. some mechanics says it would be my turbo charger problem but my car is just 98k mileage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
when I examine the problem, there were no diagnostic codes detected related to VGT or any, but at that time valve malfunctioning. May be due to limited sensors in my SF- GLS as PCM won't detect all errors. However, I felt sudden performance decrease specially in < 2000RPM. There is some other way to detect the issue, perform this in engine operating temp. not cold start. while you drive in peaceful road, Push throttle quickly up to 3000 RPM and release, like you sprint and off. you will hear turbo pressure leaking strange noise "cheow" from VGT. (better open front windows). so that how I detect the issue. Anyway, average price of the valve is nearly 300$, but I brought Genuine part from Korea online for 76$. If your replacing alone, make sure not to change valve hose inlet and outlet.
Hi mate can you please provide us the link where did you bought your pcv in korea? thanks in advance

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,096 Posts
If your talking about the part shown in maduabey's photo, that's not a PCV valve. It's the turbo boost pressure control valve, as mentioned in the title of the thread.

I don't know about Korea, but it's available here in the UK....OEM Hyundai/Kia boost control valve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts