Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an oil light showing RED on my 06 Santa Fe. There is no noise or loss of power. The garage are not finding anything wrong with the vehicle, but surely if the light is on there must be a problem. Suggestions from garage have been to strip engine down, or oil pump. We are wondering, given that there have been various elec probs with this vehicle, whether there is an elec fault. Anybody any ideas.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's certainly possible the pressure sensor is kaput. If the mechanics are just suggesting to throw money at it without knowing what the problem really is, might as well start with the cheapest option.

·
Registered
129 Posts
thanks for that. It has recently had a new oil switch, which I presume is the senser??
Could be sludge build up or something electrical with the sensor. The surefire way to tell would be to install a mechanical gauge in place of the sensor temporarily to see if you are getting pressure, and how much. Should be around 20lbs or better at idle.

·
22,793 Posts
New parts, right out of the box, sometimes can fail. Don't discount the possibility that you may have paid for a faulty new unit. But the mechanical oil gauge like Redfury describes is the most tried and true method. I hate idiot gauges. But what can you do? They're the preferred standard on most new cars, now.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
New parts, right out of the box, sometimes can fail. Don't discount the possibility that you may have paid for a faulty new unit. But the mechanical oil gauge like Redfury describes is the most tried and true method. I hate idiot gauges. But what can you do? They're the preferred standard on most new cars, now.
Actually I think the combination of both idiot lights and true gauges is the best of both worlds. Idiot lights to get your attention and a gauge to make an intelligent decision on what is wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this has all been done, and still no problem found. At this moment in time the light has gone off = happens a lot this. no telling when it may recur, but I am sure it will. In the meantime, mechanics are scratching their heads on this one!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
this has all been done, and still no problem found. At this moment in time the light has gone off = happens a lot this. no telling when it may recur, but I am sure it will. In the meantime, mechanics are scratching their heads on this one!!
To clarify for this thread, the mechanics installed a temporary mechanical gauge and found that your oil pressure was within the proper range? Then you likely have an oil pressure control valve that is sticking...it's under spring tension, but if you have a sludged up block, it could be impeding it's normal movement and not allowing the pump to properly prime the block with the right amount of oil pressure.

Had a buddy with a Nissan truck have the upper half the motor grenade on him due to lack of oil. It never showed a light for lack of pressure, but there was a blockage that wasn't allowing oil to pass into the passageways to the head which starved the valve train of oil...you can fill in the blanks as to what happened.

I would run a half a quart of transmission fluid, or some kind of additive to the oil for cleaning the oil through for a few minutes at operating temp and see if you can't get whatever is causing the problem to break down and pass into the filter. You may end up having to do it a couple of times, but if you keep running it like it is, there's just too much IMHO probability that you will do long term destructive damage to the motor. Might even just want to have them look under a valve cover to make sure the engine is getting sufficient oil up into the valve train.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts