Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

New to this forum and Hyundai ownership and have recently purchased an ix35 Highlander (2.4 petrol).

The car is a 2012 model and has traveled just on 50K (km's).

I'm generally pretty happy with the car but one thing I have noticed is that the rear ride height seems a little lower than the front.

It's barely (but still slightly) noticeable when unladen or 1 up, but with just 2 small kids (6+4) in the back it does sit down quite noticeably - enough that I've been flashed by other cars at night that think I've forgotten to dip my high beams.

The car does have a tow bar fitted so it's first owner may have done some towing.

I was thinking of installing some 1cm rubber spring seats under the rear coils just to raise the car a cm or two without affecting the spring rate. They are available for Suzuki Vitara's (Sidekicks) which have a very similar inner and outer spring diameter.

Has anyone had any issues with ix35's sagging a little?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can't say that I have noticed it on mine but my previous car a 2008 Kia Rondo (same family) did sag in the back and it was known problem. I guess one could go measure the distance to the ground from the bumper on a new car at the dealer and compare.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys!
I've had my iX35 since new in 2010. I am a caravaner here in the UK and have towed extensively throughout Europe. My caravan weighs in at 1465 Kg's and I never exceed the tow ball weight of 80Kg's. I noticed from the start that the car was very low at the rear whenI hooked the caravan up. But I also noticed that it was lower than other versions of the same model, it turns out that the automatic is lower at the back anyway! My dealer, replaced a number of springs, but with no effect. I did toy with the idea, that I might fit spring assisters. Then I noticed that other iX35 owners were just getting on with towing with a lower rear suspension, so I did too. The handling seems OK, in fact the steering seems to be improved when towing. I merely adjust the headlights level from inside the cab and everything seems fine.
Regards Drusy

·
Registered
166 Posts
Interesting post! I recently was looking at a side profile of our Tucson and did a double take.. And was scratching my head thinking "is the end sagging?" so yes. I have noticed this. I have done a little towing, also had a considerable amount of weight due to boxes of flooring from a recent home Reno.

I wonder if this is a warrantable item.... To be continued

·
Registered
290 Posts
I B Draggin'

My 2011 Limited automatic is a bit low in the rear too. I was wondering about better, new rear shocks. Perhaps a good suspension shop could figure it out and easily fix this ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts