Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After babying my '12 LTD (only 12,200 miles too), the sad day has come where I was involved in an accident. Was at a stop light, had the green arrow, and some idiot decided to try to beat the red light coming the opposite direction. My car ended up on the sidewalk, and I guess slammed into the stoplight post :confused:. Last thing I remember is the actual impact, then blacked out for a little. The other car was one of those heavy duty trucks. Do you think the car is totaled? Good thing I have insurance. The front bumper is completely torn off.

·
Registered
128 Posts
man :( sorry to see and I'm glad you're alright! I would say that it is a write-off buddy..time to start car shopping again..

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Uh, that's ugly. Sorry to see it, but it's a testament to the 5 star crash rating that you are around to post this. Good luck finding the replacement, and if you start feeling any effects from the crash, let your insurance company know right after the doctor. Sometimes it takes a couple of days to feel it.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Sounds like they might say it's your fault, though. You were probably responsible to make sure the way was clear, and nobody would run the red light as they did. It might be totaled, hard to say since it's worth a lot still.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I find it hard to believe the blame would be put on him..turning left on advanced green? Guy who ran the red was obviously at fault.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the kind words. This is why I always come back to this forum :57:. Hopefully everything works out and if the car is totaled, then I'm looking at the '14 Elantra Sport or Limited.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would be shocked if it were not totaled. I assume the airbags deployed? If so I would say its done. If not, I would wonder why the bags did not deploy...

Good to see you are OK. These cars are designed to take one for the team. My armchair lawyers skills suggest that its the other guy's fault since you had the advance yellow. But who knows sometimes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am also happy to see you're ok. Sorry for your "loss". I would have to guess the police responded to the scene judging by the severity of the crash. Together with any potential witness statements, I'd suspect the guy in the truck is facing some violations. Not to worry. This is clearly his fault!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Sorry to hear this, glad you were able to walk away.

·
Banned
532 Posts
If it's not totaled I'm sure we could always arrange a "Talk with with him ..... :beathorse: ".

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I find it hard to believe the blame would be put on him..turning left on advanced green? Guy who ran the red was obviously at fault.
Agreed. What are you supposed to do? Just sit through a green light waiting for somebody to run the red?

To the OP: Call me crazy but I think the insurance of the guy who hit you should be making it right, not yours. Glad you're okay and DO NOT settle with the other insurance company until you know you're not injured.

·
22,793 Posts
I know you mentioned that you were glad YOU had insurance. That's always a good thing to have. But in this particular case, I feel the burden is upon the other driver. It was his vehicle that ran the red light and plowed into you. The critical thing is that HE had insurance.

If you had a green turn arrow, that clearly indicates that all cross lane traffic had a red light. Fault in this scenario would fall squarely upon him and his insurance.

Bottom line, and foremost is this: You walked away and you lived to tell about it. Another testimonial to Hyundai's 5-star crash rating. I am continually impressed with the occupant protection that these vehicles offer. Makes me feel a little warmer and fuzzier.

What you're going to encounter now is "a process." A step-by-step process. A royal pain in the butt, to be sure, no matter how simplified the other parties try to make it. Here's to a smooth transition with very few hiccups along the way.

@N5S-Mater: Your argument for a dash cam is gaining momentum with me. I clearly see the advantage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts