Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 08 3dr is rusting around the driver's rear wheelwell lip. It only has 75,000 km on it. It has bumper to bumper 160,000 km warranty (we paid extra for it, just in case)

A bubble came out in the spring, and it was repaired under warranty at the body shop that is owned by the Ford, Toyota and Hyundai dealerships here. The other evening, I noticed 5 more blisters, one big bubble, and the whole lip area is full of rust bubbles. The dude at the Hyundai dealer took pics (again) and is going to contact Hyundai Canada (again) about this matter. The body shop manager said there's no sense in repairing the blisters, where they're coming in from the back -- the panel is rusting through from the inside out.

I'm not impressed at all. The window sticker said 48 mpg, we get 34 on the highway. The suspension is all rattly, the CEL has come on and off a dozen times for different reasons since the car was new. The horn likes to go off into panic button mode at random. They've looked after us for these matters, but I'm just not "wowed" by Hyundai any more. The inlaws just bought a 2010 Sonata, and it's as rough to drive as my Matrix...and that's bad! It's a sharp looking car inside and out, but the ride is harsh as ****!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It's definitely not normal to see rust on a less than 3 year old car. The quarter panel could have been damaged or replaced before the dealer sold it to you. By the law, they have to tell the buyer but most don't since the cars are fixed before the dealer takes possession of them.

As for MPG, EPA says 27/32 for a manual and 24/33 for an automatic.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I took some paint damage to the Hatch, rusted in 3 weeks. As for the other issues, sorry to hear. Your's sounds like a generally faulty car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Nov 14 2010, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371636
It's definitely not normal to see rust on a less than 3 year old car. The quarter panel could have been damaged or replaced before the dealer sold it to you. By the law, they have to tell the buyer but most don't since the cars are fixed before the dealer takes possession of them.

As for MPG, EPA says 27/32 for a manual and 24/33 for an automatic.
That's US MPG, not Imperial/Canadian.

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (Squashtowner @ Nov 15 2010, 01:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371708
That's US MPG, not Imperial/Canadian.
... US IS imperial. Canada's metric. We technically shouldn't even be refering to it as MPG as we don't officially recognize 'gallons'. It's KM/L, if I remember correctly. Dealerships don't really like doing this though, for multiple reasons but mostly because the numbers simply doesn't look impressive under metric standards. Plus people are stupid and don't read things clearly so you know someone would look at like 15km/L and go GOLLY GEE 15 MPG THAT'S TERRIBLE HURRR.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Naky @ Nov 15 2010, 11:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371763
... US IS imperial. Canada's metric. We technically shouldn't even be refering to it as MPG as we don't officially recognize 'gallons'. It's KM/L, if I remember correctly. Dealerships don't really like doing this though, for multiple reasons but mostly because the numbers simply doesn't look impressive under metric standards. Plus people are stupid and don't read things clearly so you know someone would look at like 15km/L and go GOLLY GEE 15 MPG THAT'S TERRIBLE HURRR.
Actually, you're wrong. Canada, and 90% of the world uses the Imperial Gallon, the USA uses the US Gallon. The US Gallon is 3.785 Liters, the imperial gallon is 4.546 liters.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Nov 15 2010, 12:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371781
Which is still only 29/40 mpg in Canadia gallon. I don't know why the dealer advertised 48 mpg. 48 mpg is at the lower end of diesel and hybrid territory.
It's not a dealer sticker, it's the manufacturer's sticker that shows the options and EPA Rated fuel economy.
My car is EPA rated at 46 MPG Highway. It said so right on the window sticker. 1.8 liter Matrix. :) It doesn't get that, mind you.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Squashtowner @ Nov 15 2010, 11:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371796
It's not a dealer sticker, it's the manufacturer's sticker that shows the options and EPA Rated fuel economy.
My car is EPA rated at 46 MPG Highway. It said so right on the window sticker. 1.8 liter Matrix. :) It doesn't get that, mind you.
I see. Sometimes you really wonder how they test their cars (skinny tires in a zero atmoshere track??) :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts