Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Live in San Francisco, Ca near the beach i have owned my car for nearly fives years, I went to the dealer to have my rear brake pads changed it needed rotors because of rust, it cost 432 dollars for everything. My car has 45,000 miles i wanna know if anyone beside I had this situation ?

Thank You

·
Registered
317 Posts
$400 is high just for pads.

I'm assuming they changed the rear pads and either re-surfaced or replaced the rear rotors too.

Check your invoice.

Rear pads usually last longer than your front pads.

I changed out my FRONT pads at 60k. Front/rear rotors re-surfaced at the same time due to pulsating.

My rear pads are still good at 70k but soon need to be replaced.

I also experienced a rust issue with the rear brakes as well. Dealer recommended some cleaning operation. Maybe the salt in the air contributes to the rust?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've heard of people having rusted rotors before the car was even sold from the dealership. They were on the lot for so long and in an area with lots of rain or snow. Water typically speeds up the rusting process and salt will too. Most rotors are typically a low carbon steel so they rust pretty easily. But low carbon steel is much easier to replace than a more expensive stainless steel. Rotors are pretty cheap to replace costing anywhere from 20 bucks to 70 bucks depending on the car or the rotor manufacture. To answer your question its not uncommon for rotors to rust living near the ocean or places with lots of snow that use salt to clear it away.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You are lucky with your brakes.

I have to change my brake pads, rotors for all 4 wheels around year 2 at 15K Km or 10K miles. Rear brake have clunking grinding sound when turning. All rotors have grooves.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (jelloyd @ Jan 19 2011, 06:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=392362
I've heard of people having rusted rotors before the car was even sold from the dealership.
Happened to me - I leased a Ford Taurus with 3 miles on it. I had to make a u-turn back to the dealership because of front end brake vibration caused by rust build-up. Not uncommon for new cars to sit on lots so long they develop problems like this.

Believe it or not, the dealer gave me some static about machining the rotors - I should have gotten new ones.

Overnite rust build-up is another story - perfectly normal - under all the hype - rotors are made of poor grade steel.

·
Registered
587 Posts
DO NOT get it done at the dealer. Go to autopartswarehouse.com you can order QUALITY EBC rotors and good pads for LESS than the dealer, take it to another shop and have them do the work there. Stock rotors/pads are crap.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm on 48K for my rear rotors and pads, I know they need to be replaced soon! Ouch on the price! When I had my front rotors and pads done, I took it to a local brake shop they charged me $302, which includes free pads (just pay labor) the pads are semi-matellic, and rotors are ventilated Hawks

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don't find the stock brakes that bad. My 06 Sonata has 127,000 kms (~79,000 miles) on it and all rotors and the rear pads are still original. I just keep them properly serviced so the pads don't get frozen in the calipers and there are no major issues. The rear rotors have been machined once but have some life left. Once the rotors are used up I'll replace everything.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The issue is not lasting. With after market pads there is far lest dusting for one. Secondly, the stopping power and brake feel are MUCH improved over stock. My pads were maybe half worn at 84k with plenty of life left. But, I DO NOT want to drive around for years and years waiting for them to wear out, I got tired of the vibration from the brake pedal. I fixed it and changed ONLY the front pads and rotors. I have 108k and still have the ORIGINAL pads and rotors in the rear. They barely do any work, so naturally they don't seem to wear down too fast. I will need to grease the guide pins soon. Do yourself a favor, replace them. It's just like tires, why wait till they are bald? Just replace them, they will probably out last the length in time you will own the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts