Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was riding in the passenger seat and while getting off the car I noticed a little bulge on the door checker. Out of curiosity I squeezed it and found out it has rusted and is flaking under the black paint of the checker arm. Now mind it this is a very well maintained vehicle, regularly washed, cleaned, and lubricated - including those checkers. I also have some small rust spots on the body panels. Spots that are about 1.5 - 2 mm size where the paint seems to have chipped off. I don't know if the paint flaked due to the rust or the rust is a consequence of the paint chipping off. But otherwise these are completely intact panels with no mechanical damages.

And to add I repeat the window stands and wiper arms all have paint flaked off due to rust - again on a very well maintained vehicle.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yesterday I was riding in the passenger seat and while getting off the car I noticed a little bulge on the door checker. Out of curiosity I squeezed it and found out it has rusted and is flaking under the black paint of the checker arm. Now mind it this is a very well maintained vehicle, regularly washed, cleaned, and lubricated - including those checkers. I also have some small rust spots on the body panels. Spots that are about 1.5 - 2 mm size where the paint seems to have chipped off. I don't know if the paint flaked due to the rust or the rust is a consequence of the paint chipping off. But otherwise these are completely intact panels with no mechanical damages.

And to add I repeat the window stands and wiper arms all have paint flaked off due to rust - again on a very well maintained vehicle.
Your vehicle is almost 9 years old, whats your point?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your vehicle is almost 9 years old, whats your point?
I have older vehicles - but NO rust! That's the point. And this vehicle was bought in mid 2006 (brand new). And by the way, the window stands rust is not new. If you also own a Santa Fe of the SM generation, it is quite possible that yours has it too if you notice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is one of the reasons these cars are cheaper too buy..

Quality of the Metal, no different then what was in the Pony in 1984!

whacker

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is one of the reasons these cars are cheaper too buy..

Quality of the Metal, no different then what was in the Pony in 1984!

whacker
I think it is not just the metal, but they lack technology. Hyundai is not exactly an innovator, more like an immitator - fake it till you make it approach. In this day and age if they cannot do a good factory paint job then something is seriously lacking. I have two friends who owned Hyundai Excels in their college years and they vow they will never own another Hyundai even if they got one for free, it is not worth it they say. Well The Santa Fe may not be that bad but from my personal experience I can relate to their feeling somewhat. I can see why the Hyundais have some of the lowest resale values in the used car market. And when I bought it new it wasn't exactly cheap either. When I mentioned the America's best warranty 10 yrs/100k miles to my friends they had told me "you will need it". I wish they were wrong, alas!

All I can say is it was an expensive lesson for me. Friends don't let friends buy Hyundais!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had I neglected and/or used and abused the vehicle then I probably wouldn't feel as bad. But I baby my cars and after all this care it upsets me to see the thing rusting. Too many failures compared to the other cars I own. Although it is close to seven years old, it has less than 50K miles. All I can conclude is, it is a very inferior quality vehicle, they should not be selling these in developed countries.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had I neglected and/or used and abused the vehicle then I probably wouldn't feel as bad. But I baby my cars and after all this care it upsets me to see the thing rusting. Too many failures compared to the other cars I own. Although it is close to seven years old, it has less than 50K miles. All I can conclude is, it is a very inferior quality vehicle, they should not be selling these in developed countries.
I've never had any issues with my 05 2.7L.. got almost 170k miles on the clock..

getting 22mpg, and still running smooth..

Never had to replace anything except for usual worn out stuff,

bushings, balljoints, brakes, fluids, belts, spark plugs, wires, coil set, struts..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Totally Symphathetic

I liken it to the s3 Samsung Phone, buy one from your local Telephone co, and there's a good chance, you'll have no problems..

Buy one from China, at 1/4 the price, and you'll get something that is just missing something..

Is it Quality Control with the Hyundai I have, maybe.

Seems others have had no problems..

It what's more frustrating in these parts Maritimes, CDA..

is when you have one that is prone to trouble no dealer has the parts..

Case in point I needed a Steering line one of the short ones on the Rack, and I called 10 dealerships, within a 150 mile radius of where I live.

None of them had the Part LOL

As in the Past Called a Dealer in Toronto they got it onto the Purolater Truck yesterday afternoon, and I had it this morning.

A little of Rust topic, but just adds to the frustration, when you need to replace a part that has rusted off..

Last Hyundai for me as well..

If I hadn't had a computer crash, I'd post the List of the parts I've replaced.
You'd leave here shaking your head, and I did all the work.
Imagine If you had to go to a dealer that was incompatant!!

whacker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts