Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Hyundai have a warranty for this?

I heard second hand from someone I know that recently had their car scratched where the paint came off where they took it into his local dealership and the service department painted over it and I assume put a nail polish type substance over it to prevent further rust.

Reason I ask, is my car just above the bumper underneath the gas cap has a good gash and slight body damage. I started noticing after only a week of being hit in the parking lot, the metal is starting to turn colour.

Dreaded rust. Looking for solutions, would appreciate any ideas.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Their warranty only covers rust if it was caused a problem in the workmanship and it's rusted through (a hole right through the panel) from the inside out. Basically if there's a problem with the undercoating.

You can touch it up yourself by getting a sanding pen to remove any rust that formed and clean out the 'wound', then use a touchup pen that you can buy from a dealer to put some new paint on top. Automotive paint is one ingredient short of nail polish (lacks glycerin which is used to prolong shelf life).

TBH, it's better to DIY; the dealer doesn't care and will likely just liberally slather paint on the scratch and it'll look horrible and stand out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their warranty only covers rust if it was caused a problem in the workmanship and it's rusted through (a hole right through the panel) from the inside out. Basically if there's a problem with the undercoating.

You can touch it up yourself by getting a sanding pen to remove any rust that formed and clean out the 'wound', then use a touchup pen that you can buy from a dealer to put some new paint on top. Automotive paint is one ingredient short of nail polish (lacks glycerin which is used to prolong shelf life).

TBH, it's better to DIY; the dealer doesn't care and will likely just liberally slather paint on the scratch and it'll look horrible and stand out like a sore thumb.
Thanks for the reply, the scratch is a little bigger this time. The sanding pen sounds feasible, will look into it.

I wonder if this was the service performed by the Hyundai dealership. From all accounts, my friend told me that person wasn't even charged, this is why I wondered.

I just want to stop it from rusting for now, the fear is the rust spreading. Cheers!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ouch! That's worse than I thought. The only way to fix that would be to go to a body shop and have the dent fixed and the driver's side body repainted.

For a temporary fix, use a sanding pen to sand any area where bare metal is showing and clean up the edges, then just give it 2 or 3 coats of paint with a touchup pen, and optionally a coat of clear.

The dealer may touch up small scratches and chips if you ask when you're in for something else, but I don't know if they'd be willing to go near that. Plus they wouldn't do a better job than you could do yourself (even if you think you'd be horrible at it).

·
Registered
525 Posts
The only way to fix that would be to go to a body shop and have the dent fixed and the driver's side body repainted.
I agree. The elements those of us who live in winter climates subject our cars to (I see you're in Canada) are much harsher and unforgiving than those in the South and West Coast so even touching it up won't necessarily prevent it from rusting at some point. I have two bad scratches on my trunk that I'm currently getting repair estimates for since I want it taken care of properly and avoid any rust from taking hold. It may cost me a few hundred dollars, but it's better than fixing a big rust spot a year or so down the road..... :eek:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Where did you get the estimates from? Directly from body shops or through a dealer? Though TBH that sounds about right if they're quoting repainting the whole driver's side of the body and fixing the dent.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where did you get the estimates from? Directly from body shops or through a dealer? Though TBH that sounds about right if they're quoting repainting the whole driver's side of the body and fixing the dent.
Went to my Hyundai dealer, they do not do body work, but they outsource to a local dealer near by.

It's pretty extensive work of taking out the panel, priming, painting, TBH I just want to stop the rusting. Want the car to last awhile.

May think about trading it in for the Elantra 5 door one day.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Estimates are in, $1200-$1300 dollars, bummer.
I just got the first estimate to fix the two scratches on my trunk and it came to $584. :eek: They said the entire trunk would have to be repainted. I'm going to two other places for an estimate. I'm hoping I can find one that will do it for $400 or less.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The body damage discussed in this thread would be covered by comprehensive on your insurance plan. If you have it, maybe consider using it. That's what it's there for.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Went to my Hyundai dealer, they do not do body work, but they outsource to a local dealer near by.

It's pretty extensive work of taking out the panel, priming, painting, TBH I just want to stop the rusting. Want the car to last awhile.

May think about trading it in for the Elantra 5 door one day.
If it was the dealer that gave you the quote, go directly to the/another body shop. The dealer will act as a middle man and add a markup.

I can give you the info for the place I got my front bumper repainted if you're willing to come over to Mississauga. They're the place the dealer I go to recommends.

I just got the first estimate to fix the two scratches on my trunk and it came to $584. :eek: They said the entire trunk would have to be repainted. I'm going to two other places for an estimate. I'm hoping I can find one that will do it for $400 or less.
Yup, you can't just paint part of a panel. If it isn't too bad you can just touch it up yourself. You'll probably be able to find somewhere that will do it for less, especially if you pay cash. Just remember that auto body painting requires skill, so it might be best to avoid the cheapest or a shifty looking place. You don't want the paint to start chipping off on its own in a couple years. :p

The body damage discussed in this thread would be covered by comprehensive on your insurance plan. If you have it, maybe consider using it. That's what it's there for.
The only problem with using insurance, at least in Ontario, is that if you make any claims for anything you can expect your premium to jump to the moon for the next 5 years when it comes time to renew it. For most claims under $3000 people will just settle in private without going through insurance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The only problem with using insurance, at least in Ontario, is that if you make any claims for anything you can expect your premium to jump to the moon for the next 5 years when it comes time to renew it. For most claims under $3000 people will just settle in private without going through insurance.
That's a major bummer. Seems hardly worth having it then (comprehensive, that is). It's not like that here (or at least not with Mercury insurance anyway). I've made claims for parking lot damage and it didn't impact my rates. It's the moving violations on your record that they hit you for most here. I keep a $250 comprehensive deductible on two of my cars and if I get any damage more than that, I definitely use the insurance. Admittedly, I have been fortunate and haven't had a lot of need to use it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My deductible is $500 so it's not worth filing a claim for $84 and having my rates go up.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yup, you can't just paint part of a panel. If it isn't too bad you can just touch it up yourself. You'll probably be able to find somewhere that will do it for less, especially if you pay cash. Just remember that auto body painting requires skill, so it might be best to avoid the cheapest or a shifty looking place. You don't want the paint to start chipping off on its own in a couple years. :p
My bf used to work in an auto body shop and told me the same thing. There are two other reputable local body shops I'll go to and will see if they can just paint the bottom panel rather than the entire trunk. The first (and only) place I've been to so far is the collision center at the dealership so I expected them to be high(er) to begin with. I do have touch-up paint and will apply it to the scratches this weekend but since they are deep (some @$$hole keyed it right down to the bare metal), it is something that should be fixed by a body shop to prevent it from rusting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My deductible is $500 so it's not worth filing a claim for $84 and having my rates go up.
It's a shame your insurance company does that. Like I mentioned, I have made comprehensive claims before and they did not impact my rates. One speeding ticket did though.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
One thing to consider - I'm in RMurphy's situation also.

Someone broke a window on my car a few years ago. (Not sure there is a deductible for that even if I hadn't had zero deductible - I know windshield glass there typically isn't).

There was no effect on my rates with my CURRENT insurance and no problem with renewal, but when I comparison shopped other companies, I immediately got "I see you filed a claim in 201x ..." (I had forgotten it.) Not sure if it affected the rate they offerred me, but the insurance companies apparently DO talk to each other and they have long memories.

·
Registered
525 Posts
It's a shame your insurance company does that. Like I mentioned, I have made comprehensive claims before and they did not impact my rates. One speeding ticket did though.
They're not totally horrible. I had a bad accident 2.5 years ago and since they had an 'accident forgiveness' policy where your first accident is 'written off', my rates did not go up. I don't want to try my luck by filing this claim and having my rates go up now, or when renewal time comes around. :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it was the dealer that gave you the quote, go directly to the/another body shop. The dealer will act as a middle man and add a markup.

I can give you the info for the place I got my front bumper repainted if you're willing to come over to Mississauga. They're the place the dealer I go to recommends.

Thanks for the offer, I will let you know. I am going to try to use the scratch pen first.

I already notice some rust developing, best to get this done this weekend. I have done this for my better half's scratches and the pen works great.

I am already resigned to the fact the car will not be as spotless as it was when I bought it.

Stopping the rust is the big thing for me. :(

1 - 20 of 38 Posts