Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, quick question about rust proofing our HSH.

When I bought mine, the rep told me that it was impossible to rust proof a hybrid because of all the eletric stuff underneath. I was quite a bit surprised by this, since just driving the car in the rain/snow will dump all sort of stuff under the car anyway so it would seem kinda weird to have that area not be proof enough to shoot some rust proofing things on it.

So I am a bit skeptical about what the sales rep told me and was wondering what you guys think about it.

Personally I would prefer to do some rust proofing on it, I can only imagine how the car would look like in a few years without it, especially with all the salt and everything they put on the roads up here during the winter.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Hello, quick question about rust proofing our HSH.

When I bought mine, the rep told me that it was impossible to rust proof a hybrid because of all the eletric stuff underneath. I was quite a bit surprised by this, since just driving the car in the rain/snow will dump all sort of stuff under the car anyway so it would seem kinda weird to have that area not be proof enough to shoot some rust proofing things on it.

So I am a bit skeptical about what the sales rep told me and was wondering what you guys think about it.

Personally I would prefer to do some rust proofing on it, I can only imagine how the car would look like in a few years without it, especially with all the salt and everything they put on the roads up here during the winter.
I don't think anyone on this forum has tried to rust proof their car as that would probably void your warranty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huh ok, so what the rep guy was saying was the right thing?

Any explanations as to why we can't rust proof it?? The underside of the car must be bombarded with water, rocks, sand etc. I can't imagine this not being shielded somehow. Any reason why?

·
Registered
198 Posts
What kind of treatment are you thinking about? There are several different types I have heard of. I don't know this for a fact, but I would tend to think the sales rep is blowing smoke on this (I have corrected them way too many times to ever just believe something because the rep told me so. But I'm not perfect either :) ). You're right: vehicles must be and are designed to handle a degree of debris that kicks up from underneath, so unless they are going crazy with the treatment in places where they shouldn't and likely don't need to, I don't see a problem with this. This is my first impression for what it is worth.

I'm not sure what part of the warranty this would void...From previous experience with aftermarket mods, I know that several laws prevent a manufacturer from voiding a warranty solely based on having an aftermarket part. The manu must be able to prove that the mod was the cause of the error.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/129008-undercoating-sonata-hybrid.html

"bulletin #11-00-009.

The Sonata Hybrid Blue Drive system incorporates numerous new technological features and accessories which are not equipped on other Hyundai vehicles. Because of these high tech components many products designed for gasoline engine equipped automobiles are not compatible for use on the Sonata Hybrid. In particular Hyundai Auto Canada does not support the use of any aftermarket rust proofing system due to numerous potential issues that could potentially affect hybrid components. This includes both oil spray and electrostatic type rust proofing systems.
OIL SPRAY RUST PROOFING
The use of oil spray rust proofing can cause premature deterioration and swelling of rubber components and wiring insulation. The chemicals used in this process can cause deterioration of the insulating properties of the hybrid system components such as wiring harnesses, connectors and electrical components.
In addition the Sonata Hybrid has components which are marked or coloured for the safety of servicing technicians. This includes the orange high voltage wiring located on the underbody of the vehicle. Use of oil spray rust proofing may cover up these components making them difficult to identify by servicing technicians.
ELECTROSTATIC RUST PROOFING
The electrostatic rust proofing systems induce an electrostatic charge to the vehicle body which may affect the grounding of various electrical components. The use of such a system on a Sonata Hybrid may lead to the shutdown of the hybrid system as the system may interpret the electrostatic charge as a system fault and shutdown as a failsafe. Use of such systems is not supported by Hyundai Auto Canada.
NOTE: Any faults or component failures which are identified as being caused by the use of an aftermarket rust proofing product will not be covered under warranty. Hyundai recommends that dealers do not apply or install these products on Sonata Hybrid vehicles."

Hyundai Warranty

Covers 7 years/unlimited miles starting with 2005 model year (previously 5 years/100,000 miles for 2004 and prior model years). Covers perforation (rust hole through the body panel from inside to outside) corrosion of original Hyundai body sheet metal due to defects in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Excludes surface corrosion.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I stand corrected :) Well sort of...the note at the end does confirm what I was saying earlier that they can't legally void your warranty unless they can directly prove that the rust protection caused the malfunction. However, when you read the beginning, it leads me to think otherwise. But thats probably just Hyundai trying to scare you out of it. Hyundai only says that they don't "support" the protection, not that they will void the warranty. I think they used that word because legally they can only void if there is evidence that it was caused by the spray, but they still don't want you to do it.

Other interpretations?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info, thanks. I was planning to stop at ziebart and do their 10 years rust proof with warranty but not quite sure anymore.

I think I understand it the same way you do Kayan. I could rust proof it and they won't outright void my warranty because of it, they will just not cover any damages done by it if proven so.

I wonder if talking to the guy that does the proofing and warning him about the reasons listed above as to why hyundai doesn't recommend it, that he could avoid shooting the regions more sensitive to it. Would have to make some calls to see what they think about it.

I don't know how it gets in TN and UT in the winter, but up here, if you say to someone that you havn't rust proofed your car, this is the response we usually get :).
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/142301/2885961-you-what-have-you-done.jpg

Unfortunatly I have no idea how the underside of the car looks like and some googling didn't find anything. If its just a question of trying to avoid wiring and things like that, then I guess telling the guy that shoots the rust proofing stuff to avoid it would be simple enough, but I am pretty sure its more complicated than that and my knowledge in mechanical stuff is rather limited.

Thanks alot for the info!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, my Hybrid was one of the first that the dealer sold...and they sold me the full protection package (paint, cloth and undercoating).

When I bought my Elantra, the Sales guy said that there's no way my Hybrid was undercoated/rust protected....boy was he surprised when I brought him out to the car as proof.

Needless to say, if it causes any issues, it will be on the dealer's hands for eff'ing it up!!

OR, I'll have a very highly desired "SUPER-LIMITED" Sonata Hybrid to sell in a few years that's rust free!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I doubt they use unobtanium or crptonite to build a hybrid car.

Known rust spray has a dielectric rating and won' swell rubber; also passes environmental tests. I would approach a local franchise for an opinion, these companies I imagine have liability insurance for potential damage claims.

Surprisingly Very minimal smell after they spay; compared to Rustcheck who I have also used. I'm not a paid agent, just expressing an opinion. Good luck enjoy the car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
From what I understand, the actual issue is that the coating "hides" the bright orange lines which can cause severe electrical shock to an emergency worker should your vehicle be involved in a major accident.

That's why those lines under the hood are bright orange instead of black....they're especially dangerous ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
From what I understand, the actual issue is that the coating "hides" the bright orange lines which can cause severe electrical shock to an emergency worker should your vehicle be involved in a major accident.

That's why those lines under the hood are bright orange instead of black....they're especially dangerous ;)
This would make sense, however, it would also be a very easy thing to tell the rust-proofers to avoid spraying the relevant orange cables/wires underneath if this is the only concern from Hyundai about this mod. Seems this way anyway, but I personally haven't looked under my car just yet. Waiting for my first oil change.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't believe that it's actually a Hyundai specific concern. Again, I could be wrong, but I believe that this is something being directed by the NHTSA and not the automotive manufacturers. Toyota has the same rules in place too for their hybrids.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Interesting discussion, I don't own a hybrid yet; but we all will eventually.

The rust sprays all seem to border on transparent ; I think it's the tendency to cause dirt to accumulate that makes them potentially undesirable.

Taping the cables maybe doable; although spray might creep underneath.

Cars are a big investment; especially a premium hybrid; people need to protect it. I would pursue the electronic rust protection module system , a a second best solution IMO.

What is everyone's favourite moderator (except Easy Rider) doing with the Leaf in Oregon. Does Nissan allow spraying an all electric leased vehicle??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just my .02, I've never known anyone who believes the electronic rust proofing actually works. Or more clearly, all my research shows its pretty much a scam. There are some applications where it's does work, but just so happens not on automobiles.

Anyways my .02 (typing on phone so can't go into too much detail)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Just my .02, I've never known anyone who believes the electronic rust proofing actually works. Or more clearly, all my research shows its pretty much a scam. There are some applications where it's does work, but just so happens not on automobiles.

Anyways my .02 (typing on phone so can't go into too much detail)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have had two electronic modules on different vehicles; one since 2006.
They help but aren't any near as good as spray applications IMO.
I certainly wouldn't pay a dealer $700-800 for one however; I installed my own.
I can't see electricity or UV light, but I believe they exist as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im a fan of Krown (here in ontario canada). I had a 2005 Jetta TDI since brand new, and the only problem it gave me was some rust starting so I sold it. Had i had it "krowned" since day one, I would have kept the thing.

I think Krown also guarantees no rust on your car as long as you do it within the first month or two of ownership and done yearly (100 bucks) within 30 days each year of the anniversary etc.

If I get a hybrid (possibly soon) Im pretty sure I'll do the krown rust proofing. They drill holes in the doors, sills, trunk lid etc and squirt the stuff in there. my gut is telling me it wont harm anything on the hybrids etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im a fan of Krown (here in ontario canada). I had a 2005 Jetta TDI since brand new, and the only problem it gave me was some rust starting so I sold it. Had i had it "krowned" since day one, I would have kept the thing.

I think Krown also guarantees no rust on your car as long as you do it within the first month or two of ownership and done yearly (100 bucks) within 30 days each year of the anniversary etc.

If I get a hybrid (possibly soon) Im pretty sure I'll do the krown rust proofing. They drill holes in the doors, sills, trunk lid etc and squirt the stuff in there. my gut is telling me it wont harm anything on the hybrids etc.
Did you do the rust proofing? I am in Ontario too and here is the reply from Hyundai Canada:

To:
Subject: RE: Rust protection on 2013 Hyundai Hybrid
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 19:49:25 +0000

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

You cannot rustproof a hybrid vehicle because of the wiring. If the wiring gets coated with the rustproofing material, it may interfere with the performance of the vehicle. In addition, rustproofing modules are also not recommended as they may also cause interference with the wiring.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Yours truly,
Judy Cole-Manchee

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is interesting because the dealer I bought my Hybrid from had a sticker in the window for some outrageous price of $1199 paint protection plan bundled in the car with interior protection as well. I don't mind paint protection but I told the dealer there is no way in **** I am paying for something you put on the car that did not come from the factory. Bottom line I did not pay anything for the paint protection but they said they do it to every car right when they come in, its just a stupid sales gimmick to increase the asking price for their profit but that being said none of the wires on the bottom of my car are covered and nor has the other Hyundai dealer I go to for service said anything to me telling me I should not have had rustproofing done. So this just confuses me if I should worry about the car in some way due to what the dealer did.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts