Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 SEL plus, when driving at 50 and above I hear a Rushing wind noise coming from the right side of the car, does anyone else have this issue

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
463 Posts
Many people with this issue.. My dealer replaced the small triangular window and the rubber weatherstrip around it. Improved the sound but not perfect, especially at interstate speeds (70-80mph).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yeah, likely other causes in addition to the window. I can hear it from the passenger side but the real problem is right next to my left ear since it is right next to the door. Many of us also have a condition where water collects in between the driver side rear door and the car body. The weather stripping is poor in this generation Sonata, especially compared to the previous gen PHEV model I had which I believe had additional strips to seal out wind noise from the doors. I have seen some aftermarket options to seal out noise and I might try that out. I don't think replacing will be the absolute fix and along with the hassle of scheduling the appts and dealing with dropping or waiting for my car, might have better luck solving this myself. Obviously not a huge issue because I noticed it from day one and still haven't gotten around to addressing it.

No idea if this works but seems like it is applied under the strip of the factory rubber on the body side.
WindKeeper Silicone Noise Suppression Molding Kit - Shark Racing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many people with this issue.. My dealer replaced the small triangular window and the rubber weatherstrip around it. Improved the sound but not perfect, especially at interstate speeds (70-80mph).
It’s driving me crazy, I didn't have this problem with my 2017 Sport model, could this be coming from my sun roof?
Yeah, likely other causes in addition to the window. I can hear it from the passenger side but the real problem is right next to my left ear since it is right next to the door. Many of us also have a condition where water collects in between the driver side rear door and the car body. The weather stripping is poor in this generation Sonata, especially compared to the previous gen PHEV model I had which I believe had additional strips to seal out wind noise from the doors. I have seen some aftermarket options to seal out noise and I might try that out. I don't think replacing will be the absolute fix and along with the hassle of scheduling the appts and dealing with dropping or waiting for my car, might have better luck solving this myself. Obviously not a huge issue because I noticed it from day one and still haven't gotten around to addressing it.

No idea if this works but seems like it is applied under the strip of the factory rubber on the body side.
WindKeeper Silicone Noise Suppression Molding Kit - Shark Racing
coils the noise be coming from the sun roof,
Bringing it back into the dealer hopefully they’ll figure it out, I hope

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
74 Posts
I have had the parts replaced. My dealership's Service Manager even looked at posts from here where others had listed part numbers - we replaced those parts. The issue is just as bad, if not worse. I used painters tape to try to isolate where it's coming from and it still seem to be in the general area of the triangular window. But, since the parts were replaced, and there are no advisories at Hyundai, the service manager said he didn't have a path forward. Upon contacting Hyundai Consumer affairs, they essentially told me I was out of luck for now. The wind noise at 70mph is very loud. I'm so disappointed. On the bright side, I lease, and am half-way thru my terms!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
my wife hit the right side mirror on our elantra, destroying it. she has a hard time with that side of the garage, has gone thru 3 mirrors. so, why am i posting about this in the sonata section? well, i removed the old mirror and taped up the opening. it would be where that little triangular window is on the sonata. today for the first time, i drove the car with the taped up hole, and it was really noisy. a lot of wind noise. also, i was polishing the car today, and i noticed that the door reveal moulding front and rear is kinda loose. if i push it just right, i can hear it. and my hearing sucks. this was on the left side. but the car is quiet. at least, to me it is. did i mention that my hearing sucks?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts