Hyundai Forums banner

Running wires through dash board

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  RykrosGT 
#1 ·
Hello Friends,
Recently bought a dash cam and im looking for a solution for hiding the power cord in the lower part of the dash board to the socket area.

referring to the black cord in the attached pic.

any suggestions?

thank you in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
While I certainly appreciate what that video offers to the novice wire installer, I couldn’t live with myself if I had run my circuit wiring like some of the examples portrayed. Across that A-pillar edge? Viewable?Oh, heck no....nor visible black electrical tape. Nor hooks, nor... :wink2:

But, as long as the camera’s owner is happy with the end result. That’s all that really matters.

Reactions: AUTOSPARK
#4 ·
Looking for a simple solution to the problem of needing to cross through the firewall to bring an 8 gauge power wire to the new subwoofer in my Santa Fe Sport, I found what is likely to be an easy way for most Hyundai models.

Just to the left of the OEM factory wiring for the steering wheel wiring, there is a very quick and easy way to run a single wire along side of the existing wires. Most of the time what you find is people recommending that you poke a new hole through the firewall next to or near an existing opening. Using this spot doesn't require a new hole or any poking / cutting / knife into the firewall, you just take your time and adjust the existing grommet so that you can add another wire (or two). The wire ends up coming out right next to the fuse block under the hood, and you need to go to the battery, anyway.

The end result is a neat and clean single wire next to the battery. Here's the end result for my wiring. Sure, I could have used a black wire (red?) instead of the blue one and been more discrete, but that is what came with the 8 AWG kit.

The 30w fuse is what you see next to the positive side of the battery.

Attachments

#6 ·
Saw one on TV where you replace the entire rear view mirror, but then I would lose my automatic dimmer and all those pushbuttons.

Took a tap off my illuminated visor on my Supra for my radar detector, also have always hot on that over head console in the Elantra, but won't find any screws. Can find the connectors online, but a lot simpler if your dash cam runs off 12V instead of 5V.

Is there such a think as an OEM dash cam? Maybe next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.