Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I own an elantra GT 2013 and I am looking for some help from you MD people :)

I used the search function but did not find anything,

I wanted to know if any of you guys have some 245/40/18 on 18x8,5. Or anything close to that.

I saw someone with some 235/40/18 and I thought it had enough clearance for a little bit more.

Here's the picture :

Thanks for helping me!

·
22,793 Posts
I'm sure someone's going to answer. I don't have one for you. There are, however, lots of threads within the forum that discuss "tires/sizes" in general. Inside those are comments about different things the owner did.

I've also found the topic http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/122950-post-your-pictures-here.html has a lot of comments about wheels/tires, etc. I think the GT forum has one similar to this. The garage area is also a great place to snoop around for pics and descriptions.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Opinions? 245 is overkilll for an Elantra, and will probably screw up ride and handling more than it will help. And then there's the aquaplaning when it rains.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Would have helped if you gave more info on what you intend to do. Like wheel specs including offset and if you are going to lower the vehicle. Otherwise you may make a lot of costly mistakes. There is a lot of info and difference of opinion about this in this forum.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Opinions? 245 is overkilll for an Elantra, and will probably screw up ride and handling more than it will help. And then there's the aquaplaning when it rains.
Maybe they're good for popping wheelies and what not, I mean with all that low end torque and all.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Would have helped if you gave more info on what you intend to do. Like wheel specs including offset and if you are going to lower the vehicle. Otherwise you may make a lot of costly mistakes. There is a lot of info and difference of opinion about this in this forum.
+1. Well said SaurianFire.

My take is 245s will not work if you plan to lower the car. Installing on 18" rims will be best if close to stock offset, like +45mm or higher. Absent these, 245s will fit albeit for all the wrong reasons...

·
Registered
67 Posts
One of my favorite wheel calculators:

rimsntire .com

I'm not familiar with this car's wheel fitment yet since I've only had it a day, but I would agree that 245/40 tires aren't needed unless you're breaking 230whp or something. It'll also give you worse gas mileage, if you're worried about that kind of thing.

235/40 is a good sporty size for an 8.5 wheel. If you just wanted more meat, then go for it. At stock height, I couldn't imagine it making a huge difference, but I still don't know these cars.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Today I swapped out my 225/45s for 225/40s and what a huge difference the new tire setup has been. Now all rubbing is gone. I am a convert that the best setup is the 225/40s if you are upgrading to 18" rims.... and planning to lower your ride on springs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your responses!!

I am not planning to go lower though.

Let's hope it won't rub, if so, I will sell the tire, they are new :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts