Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When under way in our '07 Santa Fe 3.3L we hear a soft rubbing sound from the outside rear. It's like a tire rubs on every revolution or a worn brake pad rubs but neither example describes the sound exactly. I just finished installing new rear pads and rotating the tires and that had no effect whatsoever on the sound. It's my wife's car and she says it's been there at least 6 months. Nothing is worn back there. Is this noise just part of the Hyundai Santa Fe character? We still have lots of warranty left.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (billj @ Aug 21 2010, 01:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350916
When under way in our '07 Santa Fe 3.3L we hear a soft rubbing sound from the outside rear. It's like a tire rubs on every revolution or a worn brake pad rubs but neither example describes the sound exactly. I just finished installing new rear pads and rotating the tires and that had no effect whatsoever on the sound. It's my wife's car and she says it's been there at least 6 months. Nothing is worn back there. Is this noise just part of the Hyundai Santa Fe character? We still have lots of warranty left.
You don't say which side, but any chance that you've got a bit of a hung emergency brake and it's rubbing on its drum?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does the emergency brake work? Does it apply the rear disc brakes? Is there a cable? What do I look at?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (billj @ Aug 21 2010, 06:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350960
How does the emergency brake work? Does it apply the rear disc brakes? Is there a cable? What do I look at?
It's a separate little standalone drum style brake. Surprised you didn't encounter it outboard on the driver's rear when you changed the rears ?!

Recommend free account at www.hmaservice.com, WELL worth the time. Tons of service info for your vehicle there.

Once established, head here:

Select "Shop"
Select "Santa Fe CM"
Select "2007"
Select " G 3.3 DOHC"

G 3.3 DOHC will appear. Click on that.

Select "Brake System"
Select "Parking Brake System"
Read and review both "Components and Component Location" and "Repair Procedures"

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is the description I gave my dealer when I brought my 2009 Santa Fe in for service. Ended up being my wheel bearings....dealer ended up changing all 4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts