Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My community now allows oil changes. This being said, I may once again use Royal Purple after many years of conventionals and 3700 mi oci's (short because of turbos). It works out financially because at Walmart prices for RP and extending oci to Hyundai maximum 5k mi, is more cost effective than the dealership/quick lube prices for conventional oil changes ($38 x 5/year vs $34 x 3), not to mention they charge $70 for synthetic changes. Even if many on BITOG believe RP its overpriced, the car I used it on showed exceptionally clean when changing to high performance cams.

·
Banned
435 Posts
You can do a LOT better than $70 synth changes. Buy Pennzoil or Castrol synth in 5 quart size with $5 off coupons (widely available online). If Pennzoil, the Shell gas discount is worth 50c/gal up to $10. That's $15 off a $25 item, leaving your oil cost at $2/quart for synth. Then, buy a case of factory filters as cheaply as possible (described elsewhere on this site). Finally, go to Walmart and tell them you need your oil changed, but you have brought your own oil and filter. Walmart charged me around $15 for the last one I did for my Lexus (takes 9.5 quarts of synth!). Cheap, easy, and YOU have control over the oil and filter used.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Another oil thread. I think we need an "oil" forum.

Personally, I think it's a lot of talk about nothing. I'm no mechanic, or even a want-a-be. But somehow, for 56 years (most of them owning 2 vehicles) I've taken my cars to garages, gas stations, quick lubes, dealers, and have done some oil changes myself. I've never specified what type oil or filter to use. I don't know what brand, or weight, oil is in my 2 cars right now. And I have never had an oil related engine problem.

My last SFS oil and filter change cost me $31. That included a free car wash coupon ($6 value), fluid top off, and multi point inspection. Am I just lucky, or what?
John

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Personally, I think it's a lot of talk about nothing. I'm no mechanic, or even a want-a-be. But somehow, for 56 years (most of them owning 2 vehicles) I've taken my cars to garages, gas stations, quick lubes, dealers, and have done some oil changes myself. I've never specified what type oil or filter to use. I don't know what brand, or weight, oil is in my 2 cars right now. And I have never had an oil related engine problem.

My last SFS oil and filter change cost me $31. That included a free car wash coupon ($6 value), fluid top off, and multi point inspection. Am I just lucky, or what?
John
To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I wanted to use mobil 1 for my car, long story short they didnt have at any of the 3 places I went to. Was going for RP but they had only had 5w-30. This being my first car I want to use 5w-40 as in the manual. So I had to settle for castrol edge 5w-40. Feels good in the car no issues and I even used a fram filter being it was free with the oil and I havent had engine knock like others report using aftermarket filters. I will be buying RP on black friday, Goes on sale for about $4 a quart.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts

John
i can get behind this school of thought.

let's not make any mistake about it though, synthetic oil is a better oil than conventional. there is piles of real studies and data to prove this. i think the biggest question is 'does it matter?' or maybe 'does it matter to you?'

to the average joe that hops in his car and doesn't care about things like turbos, high performance cams, etc. the answer is probably not. its kind of like saying you're going to build your house out of structural steel and I-beams because its the best. nobody will deny that, but was it really necessary when wood and a few steel support beams do the job just fine?

i believe it comes down to pick your poison. i think people make too big a deal over oil. if it meets or exceeds the specs the engine requires, who cares? pick your brand and enjoy the ride. sure, adding a turbo (for example) may change that minimum spec and then it becomes an interesting conversation.

as far as royal purple goes i wouldn't buy it simply because of cost. its good oil for sure, but its just overkill for a daily driver. there are other brands out there that are just as good if not better for less money.

·
Registered
920 Posts
i can get behind this school of thought.

let's not make any mistake about it though, synthetic oil is a better oil than conventional. there is piles of real studies and data to prove this. i think the biggest question is 'does it matter?' or maybe 'does it matter to you?'

to the average joe that hops in his car and doesn't care about things like turbos, high performance cams, etc. the answer is probably not. its kind of like saying you're going to build your house out of structural steel and I-beams because its the best. nobody will deny that, but was it really necessary when wood and a few steel support beams do the job just fine?

i believe it comes down to pick your poison. i think people make too big a deal over oil. if it meets or exceeds the specs the engine requires, who cares? pick your brand and enjoy the ride. sure, adding a turbo (for example) may change that minimum spec and then it becomes an interesting conversation.

as far as royal purple goes i wouldn't buy it simply because of cost. its good oil for sure, but its just overkill for a daily driver. there are other brands out there that are just as good if not better for less money.
Very very great point.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm just gonna use good ol dino oil. I only plan on keeping the car 5 yrs then trading in for the latest and greatest again. The bigger issue for me is I'm thinking of doing a oil change myself between the regular scheduled ones as the 7 or 8000kms between (whichever it is) oils is too long IMO when using dino oil and running a turbo.

OK so now one could say thats why you need synthetic!! Bah...... can't win.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Very very great point.
+ 1 on his points. Let's remember the 2.0T is not tuned to be a performance engine, at least IMO. Temperatures are well controlled as are periods of higher boost and power output.

·
Registered
444 Posts
DIY job, 5 qt jug of mobil 1 full synthetic at walmart is $25 + $10 for a great filter, $35 plus tax.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know, I have come to a decision dang it. Synthetic just isnt necessary as again the manual does not require it. But, many of us still want more protection. The conundrum is that the oci limit of 5k for the turbo, limits getting any value from the synthetic oils. This is why I will use Pennzoil Synthetic Blend (50% synthetic) which also costs a modest $17 per 5 qt jug.

·
Registered
263 Posts

John
Plain and simple.

If you're a petrol head you get it. If you're an A to B driver you don't.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
You know, I have come to a decision dang it. Synthetic just isnt necessary as again the manual does not require it. But, many of us still want more protection. The conundrum is that the oci limit of 5k for the turbo, limits getting any value from the synthetic oils. This is why I will use Pennzoil Synthetic Blend (50% synthetic) which also costs a modest $17 per 5 qt jug.
eenie meenie miney mo, pick your oil and don't drive slow !

·
Registered
169 Posts
So what do you synthetic guys do at maintenance time? Just bring the oil to the dealer with you? Tell the dealer not to touch the oil?

IMO would suck to do a $35 oil change then the dealer dumps it all out and puts their stuff in. Not to mention I believe in once you go synthetic stay with it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
So what do you synthetic guys do at maintenance time? Just bring the oil to the dealer with you? Tell the dealer not to touch the oil?

IMO would suck to do a $35 oil change then the dealer dumps it all out and puts their stuff in. Not to mention I believe in once you go synthetic stay with it.
Me personally have never nor will I ever go to the dealership for oil change. I buy the oil and filter and have a mechanic who let's me bring it in and he does it for $10 or lunch lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts