Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having trouble with rough starts and stalling after the engine starts. The normal idle RPMs is around 1000 but the engine keeps wanting to starting at 500 RPMs which is just barely enough to start. The engine has so little power that it flickers the in cabin lights as its idling rough.

Here is what has been changed and none of it fixed it:

oxygen sensor
coils
clean MAF
PCV valve - made better temporarily and sent P0171 away but not fixed
change fuel pump
disconnect MAF

It doesn't seem to make much difference with the MAF in or out. It still has trouble starting especially after I fill the tank with gas. There are no error codes and a clanking sound as I drive it. The car only has 90 k miles on it. Is it dead already? I'm pretty frustrated and not sure what else to try. Its a 2006 and it just seems like it shouldn't be having this many problems for being 4 years old.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Check your battery, alternator and associated wiring. If you're still using the same battery the car came with, it would be a good idea to replace it.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Sep 3 2010, 11:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354170
Check your battery, alternator and associated wiring. If you're still using the same battery the car came with, it would be a good idea to replace it.
+1. Those are the exact codes that came up with a CEL when it was really just a dead battery. Fortunately a free battery test saved me some time with that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got a new battery not too long ago. Less than a year.

Any chance it could be the fuel pump relay? Or when relays die do they just stop working altogether and not intermittently?

In idle, I can't get more than 3000 rpms no matter how hard I push the gas pedal. When I put it in reverse and let go of the brake it usually moves on its own. But nothing I have to give it gas. Also a lot of condensation coming out of the tailpipe for a warm day - 80 degrees.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If the charging system checks out ok (you should have the alternator tested just in case), it could be related to low fuel pressure. Since you replaced the fuel pump, the next candidate would be the fuel pressure regulator. IIRC it's located on the fuel pump/fuel level sender assembly in the fuel tank.

Relays can work intermittently when their prongs are corroded or become corroded internally. The fuel pump relay is in the engine bay's fuse box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts