Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is a common issue (because it seems all seemingly odd problems on these cars are "normal") but I just figured I'd post a thread because I can't find anything else about this online.
My Elantra has been running a little rough lately. It's nothing severe, but it's enough to trigger some concern. The idle seems okay, it's not fluctuating, but it just feels and sounds rough.
It's doing the same thing on acceleration as well. I'll be driving up the street and it sounds like there's barely any oil in the top end. It's not too awful, but it's enough to wonder why. The car has 75k miles and it only started doing this recently (within the past month or two). It's almost like a subtle lifter tick. The best way I can describe it is simply "rough."
I know these engines aren't the smoothest, but this is worse than I ever remember. I was listening to it at idle a couple weeks ago after washing it and it sounded fine, the only noise I noticed under the hood was the injectors, which is normal to me, but I know those injectors aren't causing all of the noise.
The plugs are relatively new (about 10k on them, OEM NGK plugs) and I am running Castrol Edge 5w20 synthetic with an STP extended life filter. I first noticed the rough running about 3/4 of the way through the last OC interval, at the time I was running Mobil 1 5w30 with a Purolator ONE filter. I figured it was just the 5w30 (which seemed strange to me, I figured the 30 weight would be better for it) and the fact that I let it go to the factory recommended 7,500 miles rather than the usual 5k, being that I had switched it to synthetic after using Quaker State 5w20 dino oil for the first 66k miles. I doubt the oil has anything to do with it being that I'm back on 5w20, albeit synthetic this time around.
Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm sure this is a common issue (because it seems all seemingly odd problems on these cars are "normal") but I just figured I'd post a thread because I can't find anything else about this online.
My Elantra has been running a little rough lately. It's nothing severe, but it's enough to trigger some concern. The idle seems okay, it's not fluctuating, but it just feels and sounds rough.
It's doing the same thing on acceleration as well. I'll be driving up the street and it sounds like there's barely any oil in the top end. It's not too awful, but it's enough to wonder why. The car has 75k miles and it only started doing this recently (within the past month or two). It's almost like a subtle lifter tick. The best way I can describe it is simply "rough."
I know these engines aren't the smoothest, but this is worse than I ever remember. I was listening to it at idle a couple weeks ago after washing it and it sounded fine, the only noise I noticed under the hood was the injectors, which is normal to me, but I know those injectors aren't causing all of the noise.
The plugs are relatively new (about 10k on them, OEM NGK plugs) and I am running Castrol Edge 5w20 synthetic with an STP extended life filter. I first noticed the rough running about 3/4 of the way through the last OC interval, at the time I was running Mobil 1 5w30 with a Purolator ONE filter. I figured it was just the 5w30 (which seemed strange to me, I figured the 30 weight would be better for it) and the fact that I let it go to the factory recommended 7,500 miles rather than the usual 5k, being that I had switched it to synthetic after using Quaker State 5w20 dino oil for the first 66k miles. I doubt the oil has anything to do with it being that I'm back on 5w20, albeit synthetic this time around.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Bring it in, but question if this could be an issue with all the BAD motors Hyundai has been making. My 2013 1.8 Elantra GT received a new long block from the "tick of death" at 14,000 miles. You may not have the tick of death, but may have badly scored up cylinders that would justify a new motor.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bring it in, but question if this could be an issue with all the BAD motors Hyundai has been making. My 2013 1.8 Elantra GT received a new long block from the "tick of death" at 14,000 miles. You may not have the tick of death, but may have badly scored up cylinders that would justify a new motor.
Wow, that's interesting. I want to have faith in Hyundai, but they keep letting me down. This is why I primarily stick with older cars, this Elantra is my mom's car!
It's pretty sad that my 200k mile BMW and 182k mile Volvo run so much smoother than this 4 year old, 75k mile Hyundai.
I'll have to bring it in at some point soon. The last time I brought anything up (it was in for seat cleaning) they told me it was totally normal. Hyundai seems to have a high tolerance for "normal."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts