Hyundai Forums banner

221 - 228 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011-2016) Elantra sedan/coupe > Rough Idle

I've had the same problem. Rough idle at stop, whether in park or neutral. 2012 Elantra, 27K miles. Had it in the Hyundai shop twice. Second time the regional service manager and a field rep looked at my car. Both concluded the issue is with the alternator (a known issue they say) Their response is that the alternator on most 2012-2013 Elantras is undersized for the amount of load, therefore it "pulls the engine down". I've searched all over and cannot confirm this diagnosis. The men that looked at it had the authority to do "whatever it takes" to resolve the issue and their response was, its normal...no problem....live with it. Not the answer I'd hoped for.

Still shaking

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi everyone,
Have we reached a consensus on what a possible solution would be?
I just found this thread after being tired of my car seat shaking while I'm at a stop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I think we are definitely on to something here. I strongly believe it's something electrical. I also strongly believe it happens more frequently with the A/C on and moreso at idle than driving. I think it may be that the alternator is TOO SMALL TO HANDLE THE LOAD. I am in the process of finishing up payments on a HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR and I guess I will be the test dummy as to if that helps or not. Within the next few months I should have it installed and should have an answer for you guys just money's tight. Will keep y'all posted. Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone I hope I can bring some thoughts I have years with Hyundai and have seen this problem With that said there is multiple causes 1: ecm update 330 late 2013 this came stock. When you update usually it poofs white smoke just drive until smoke clears 2 miles. #2 spark plugs. #3 pvc valve.#4 piston rings get carbon up and will egg shape cylinders if driven for a while misfireing, this usually is brought on by running car with green eco mode button on I dislike the eco button btw problems not a fan of sea foam but this or other professional fogs work. #5 fuel pump and ground below rear seat. Replace your ground bolts with stainless steel m10x1.00 2016 Hyundai now come this way cause myself and others complained to Hyundai long enough. Replace ground bolts in engine compartment main battery and on left strut tower. #6 low coolant in radiator. Last and least for bad idle issues is Alternator while rare I have seen this... oh and one last thought I forgot cause I have only heard not seen in your battery fuse box there is fuses that go into a small square box the box unclips and under has one connection make sure the connection looks good. I own a 13 Elantra since new the story goes 60k changed oil with full syn for the first time and wife ran in eco mode. It started getting the rough idle. It was made in 6/2013 so the 330 update was factory I put plugs in it and fogged the motor no help this usually does the trick I?m going to compression test it next hot and cold and go from there. Good luck I will update

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 elantra rough idle

just had the same problem with the wife 2013 elantra with 45k miles. the check engine light came on, started shaking and vibrating. Had a misfire on cylinder 2, changed the spark plugs. After changing the spark plugs the car was still idling rough with the vibration being more noticible when in Park and when at stop sign or red light. Researched everywhere but no answer. Finally came to the conclusion that it was either a bad coil (which i doubted, but never know) or a clogged fuel injector. So went to walmart bought a Dura Lube Severe Fuel System Cleaner - 16 oz. Bottle $10.99, put it in the fuel tank and about 5 gallons of supreme fuel octane 91 (not regular fuel) after 3 days the vibration is completely gone. The car is running like new. Not saying that will solve the problem for everybody, but it did for me. With the elantra being a direct fuel injection keeping those injectors clean is must, I am sure adding a fuel injector cleaner every once in a while will help a lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 Santa Fe sport turbo has an excessive engine vibration when I come to a stop AND my ac is on. If I turn my AC off, it stops. Also, my interior lights blink off and on. If I shift into neutral or park at the stop, the vibration stops. Told that the small engine (4 cylinder) and turbo cause this as not creating enough power to run ac when not running. Hmmmm. So basically not fixable. I live in Kona Hawaii and ac on 365 days. Not sure what to do next , really rough vibration and started after about 2 yrs , 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2012 Elantra with 120000km on the clock. I have a very bad idle and some flat spots when accelerating. Anyone get it sorted? I have a video of what it does but for some reason I can't upload it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so I think we are definitely on to something here. I strongly believe it's something electrical. I also strongly believe it happens more frequently with the A/C on and moreso at idle than driving. I think it may be that the alternator is TOO SMALL TO HANDLE THE LOAD. I am in the process of finishing up payments on a HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR and I guess I will be the test dummy as to if that helps or not. Within the next few months I should have it installed and should have an answer for you guys just money's tight. Will keep y'all posted. Cheers!
Hi,

I have same issues and i believe it's an electric issue as well. I have thought about putting in a new alternator but don't want to waste money. I'd really appreciate if you let me know whether or not the new alternator worked.

thanks

221 - 228 of 228 Posts