Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a new 2011 Sonata GLS Auto with ~600 miles on it. Since I got it, I noticed the car idles rough in Drive...especially at a stop light and its also worse before the car fully warms up. Using A/C makes it slightly WORSE as well. Also, when I creep forward in drive, you can feel some vibration like the engine is idling rough and stumbling. its not enough to make the car stall, but noticeable enough that I think I need to take it in. Also, when accelerating very lightly, the car hesitates up until around 45-50MPH. When I accelerate a little more moderately, I don't notice and the car seems fine.

I know 4 cylinder cars have a level of rough idle to them and I have only owned 4-cyl cars (this is my 18th) so I don't think this rough idle/hesitation is normal. I traded in a corolla and that car didn't have a rough idle at all. I am using the same gas I have been too and I even waited to the 2nd tank to see it the "dealer installed gas" was bad...

Has anyone else noticed a rough idle in drive or slight hesitation during light acceleration? :puzzled:

Larry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Definitely have it looked at... my SE idles a little louder then a usual 4cyl, but not rough...

Maybe its a faulty balancer? When Hyundai introduced the 350, a co-worker had an issue with the balancer which led to multiple issues down the road...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nothing like that with mine. Of course when the engine is cold then it idles a little rougher like any other car but once it warms up
then it's very smooth. Can't tell the engine is running when stopped at a red light. You should take it in see what they tell you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm coming from a large V6 that idled as smooth as glass, so the I4 seems a little rough in comparison. If you are stopped at a light, and let off the brake, and begin to roll forward just letting the engine idle, you feel a very slight but regular pulsation as it pulls forward; however, it is not a stumbling like it's going to stall or anything.

Years ago, I had an old Mercury Lynx (i.e. "Jynx") that had what we called the "5-mile-an-hour torque." It would pull itself along at 5 MPH (uphill, downhill, through mud, it always chugged at 5MPH, LOL) with the foot off the pedal; RPMs were pretty low, and it did the same type of thing. So I just figured this was normal with 4-poppers.

Since acceleration, cruising, and coasting at speed are all very smooth, I don't really think there's anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not a car expert or a mechanic of anything but I always say that if it feels bad or something just doesnt seem right to you go with your gut feeling and have it checked out.. better to be safe than sorry later on... Just my opinion..

I have an SE and during idle my car doesnt rumble but just rattles slightly.. when my windows are up I dont hear it but when the windows are down I can hear the rattling.. I asked my dealer and he said that this was "normal" so I just took his word for it because I havent seen any problems while driving..

GoodLuck

·
Registered
589 Posts
Few comments. As noted, all I4s are going to idle somewhat rough, but noticed the Sonata has the lowest idle speed I've ever seen; probably an emissions thing. My Honda CR-V idles at around 800 rpm. The Sonata seem to idle below 600 with the brake depressed. Notice how the rpm go up to about 650 when brake pedal is released, probably to avoid hesitation when getting back on the gas. I wouldn't say the Sonata idles rough, but the ultra-low idle rpm don't help for sure. Rather than 'taking it in', just drive another so you know for certain it's a problem, or just the nature of the beast. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts