Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well that is what it sounds like ,,,, very prevalent when cold and stick in drive and the same in reverse very growly 1999 model so many pulleys at the moment its not making a noise the engine is at temperature I have the front timing wheel cover off inner wing splash guards off ….. this thing is tight tighter than a crabs backside ,,,,, looking for a little help if possible or expertise ,,,,, or if someone has a similar sort of noise the engine is good runs sweet as a nut ,,,,, the noise (growling) tends to come back when climbing a short gradient hill …. when I back of the throttle noise goes so I am presuming its a pulley ,,, at the moment I will haft to wait until the engine is cold to get the stethoscope - screwdriver in around the barings I have 1 or 2 options try and fix it or put it all back together and wait for the said roler race to mess itself ,,, any sort of information would be appreciated ,,,,, thanks

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Have you ever changed the belt tensioner...that or an idler pulley? Assuming your car has a serp belt...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you ever changed the belt tensioner...that or an idler pulley? Assuming your car has a serp belt...
no I haven't changed the belt tensioner ,,, Darren so dam tight to get to ,,, yep its a serpentine belt there is so many pulleys hard to pick one at the moment I will haft to wait until its cold that's when the offending noise is at its loudest then I can get in with the large screwdriver on the guide pulleys ,,,,,, and hope in **** I don't send it through my ear thanks for co back appreciated

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
If you think it's the belt area take it off and start the engine. That should then send you in the right direction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Charles ,,,,, chas returning ,,, its so tight to get in there even with the inner wing of I thought some one might of had the same problem … ok if one is working under a hoist ,,, but I do not have such luxury ,,, well I bit the bullet and sorted it yesterday ,,,, it was the tensioner pulley thinking about the setup logical source quite a lot of pressure on that pulley ,,,,, after I removed the belt the noise went away ,,, removed the tensioner pulley the baring was still smooth so I removed the baring itself from the pulley ,,, flipped the dust seals out and the problem was exposed very little greas washed said baring out re packed with greas and replace whole lot back on engine started the motor noise gone tomorrow morning I will run the motor that's when I will be sure it was that baring ((cold morning start)) that's when it was most rumble happened . I know I should of used a new baring,,,, I am 78 and on a pension ,,, will order a pulley when cash not so tight ,,,,,,,, looking at the cage of the baring that holds the balls in place ,,, it takes up 80% percent and very little room for greas ,,,,, its the first place some one should look , ,, as Charles said drop the alternator pulley belt and check for noise with motor running ,,,, on the pully housing to the left adjuster nut slacken off and on the face of the pully centre bolt undo that one then the pully should be loose ,,, take out the adjuster bolt which is quite long then the whole pulley should come away in your hand this vehicle is the Hyundai grandeur thanks Charles ,,, chas

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Hey old timer (being one myself)...remember me, I commented 1st? :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bunch of old timers on here you sure did I will hit the belt tensioner next as you suggested in the first place ,,,, aint it good to be an old fart thanks Darren (chas)

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Glad to see you found it. I an amazed just how little grease is used in modern bearings. Not like the olden days we all remember.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts