Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all .
I have been looking around the forum as I'm looking at the 2010 IX35 -- Tuscon.

Been to the dealer and checked it out ,looks great ...fuel is a concern as I drive 140km per day ,5 days a week ,about 800km's with the weekend stuff .

The reason I'm after a wagon is to carry my large golden retiver to the beach, he's BIG like German shepard big.
With out climbing into the back of the wagon my self and seeing how much room is in there or taking him on our test drive {the dealer would love that LOL} ,have any of you guys and girls got a large dog ,how do they go in the back ? its looks pretty small ,can they move around ok ,and happy on hour long trips .

Cheers for any info.

P.S ...I know the 09 is larger or has more head room in the back ,but want the new model.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (Sleddog @ Jun 23 2010, 07:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335674
Hi all .
I have been looking around the forum as I'm looking at the 2010 IX35 -- Tuscon.

Been to the dealer and checked it out ,looks great ...fuel is a concern as I drive 140km per day ,5 days a week ,about 800km's with the weekend stuff .

The reason I'm after a wagon is to carry my large golden retiver to the beach, he's BIG like German shepard big.
With out climbing into the back of the wagon my self and seeing how much room is in there or taking him on our test drive {the dealer would love that LOL} ,have any of you guys and girls got a large dog ,how do they go in the back ? its looks pretty small ,can they move around ok ,and happy on hour long trips .

Cheers for any info.

P.S ...I know the 09 is larger or has more head room in the back ,but want the new model.

Are you kidding? Even with the seats up, there's ample room back there! It surprised me, I never looked till after I bought it. I think it is even roomier back there then my 2005 Tucson. Someone on one forum mentioned they can get I think it was 3, or 4. golf bags back there,,, I think that should be plenty of room for your dog, no?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not kidding ...
Even the salesman agreed its not the biggest cargo area ,as they went for style with the sloped roof and lost alot of room.
I know its deceiving with the door up as there is extra cut out space in the door also ,like joining two halves together.

That why I'm asking.

I read about the golf bags ,but my golf bag can fit in my glove box .
Where my mate can just fit in his clubs in the back of a 4WD ,he thinks he's Tiger woods ..just with out the 120 girls on the side :p :w00t:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep, that was me with the golf bags! Definitely roomy! However, I too have a dog, but a 20 pound Westie certainly doesn't require the same sitting / standing space as a German Shepherd. My dog insists on standing up to look out the rear windows, and with the movement of the car, he typically doesn't stay standing for more than a couple of seconds. If your dog doesn't mind being confined and enjoys looking out the back window, then I think he/she will do just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should be OK on the room, but be very careful about the fuel efficiency. See the topic "What's your mpg?" for a lengthy discussion of this topic.

Suffice to say, I have been very disappointed with the fuel mileage of my '10 Limited FWD. Compared to the EPA estimates (23/31 with an average of 26 mpg) we are barely exceeding 20 mpg and that is for a mix of driving that is at least 50% freeway. We drive conservatively with the green ECO light on 95+% of the time.

It is a great vehicle in all other respects. Just don't expect it to routinely match the window sticker estimates of fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (Sleddog @ Jun 24 2010, 12:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335730
Not kidding ...
Even the salesman agreed its not the biggest cargo area ,as they went for style with the sloped roof and lost alot of room.
I know its deceiving with the door up as there is extra cut out space in the door also ,like joining two halves together.

That why I'm asking.

I read about the golf bags ,but my golf bag can fit in my glove box .
Where my mate can just fit in his clubs in the back of a 4WD ,he thinks he's Tiger woods ..just with out the 120 girls on the side :p :w00t:
A suggestion then, take the dog down to the dealer, put him in the back, and ask him how he likes it! :dry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Loved the advert :grin: ....thats what I'm talking about ,it only takes alittle bump in the road and he will keep smashing its head ,if there isn't much space and he like the stand and look out the window.
I know there is room with the seats down ,but the whole idea of a wagon is so I don't have to keep folding them up and down ,I might as well just get the I30 hatch.

I have read the MPG thread ...it is a worry ,I'm starting to consider a forester {about $3000 more }or the ford escape { about $2000 less}...but only 3 year 100,000km warrenty on both.
Also the new to us ..Toyota Rav 4x2 ....but I loved my Hyundai Getz and would like another Hyundai ,its been a Awesome car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi sleddog,

hey dont get too concerned about the mpg banter on here as most of it applies to the petrol motor which is the only option in North America, we aussies have the diesel option and it is the only power plant to consider in my opinion, i have done over 5,ooo k in my Elite ix35 and on the highway am averaging 6.2 - 6.7 l/100k,,,,,,
cheers, Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Dan .

Yeah ,I didn't want to spend the extra $4000 on the diesel....but since you said 6-7L .....i took a trip on the servo to see what the price of diesel price over unleaded was ,never took much notice and unleaded was $1.35 and diesel was $1.30.
You get a few extras on the Elite over the Active and better kms ,might be worth it .

Hmmm.

Cheers for the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts