Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be using the roof rack on our 09 Santa Fe for the first time in two weeks to carry a 42 pound Kayak. After going through the hassle of moving the front bar forward I find that there are no locking holes. I have read that others have been drilling there own holes but I'm not sure I want to do that yet. Has anyone carried anything without adding the holes? The rubber inserts hold it somewhat and the rear rack should lock the front one in place once the kayak is in place (I'm hoping).
What do you think?
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can't comment specifically on the roof rack system your Santa Fe uses as I think it might differ a bit from the 2010.

I can however offer some tips regarding car-topping your kayak (in case you are not used to doing so).

While the kayak is only 42 pounds, due to it's size, it creates VERY high drag forces on the rack system. Bad enough at highway speeds, then multiply that in high winds, passing another vehicle, or the VERY turbulent air as a transport truck goes by in the opposite direction. Most people underestimate those forces. Any movement while the kayak is parked, is exaggerated greatly once the vehicle is on motion. Ropes should be very tight and should be re-checked after a short drive and again every hour or so (ropes will stretch a bit).

Close the opening in the kayak, over with something if you don't have a transport lid for it. Some heavy guage plastic and tied around the sprayskirt edge. This will help keep it from becoming a parachute and from collecting rain water as you drive. You would be surprised how much water can collect in there depending on aerodynamics and 42 pounds can quickly become 200 pounds of moving sloshing weight.

·
Premium Member
2021 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T
335 Posts
Haith,
you are correct. Putting kayaks on the roof has its problems you need to be concerned with.
I know this is a bit off topic but it might get others to think about it.

I purchased two kayaks a few years ago. I car topped them on my '05 Santa Fe for one week.
Went & bought a Rack and Roll trailer to carry them. Best decision I made in a while. Love it for many reasons.
Send me a message if you want details.

Guess this leads us to the installation of a hitch. Maybe it isn't that far off topic!

Bruce

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. This will be the first time carrying a Kayak.
I believe that I will end up drilling one set of holes.
Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts