Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pretty much settled on buying a 2018 Elantra GT Sport ( in the spring when the SNOW BANS are lifted).
I want to know options for roof racks that are compatible with the panoramic sunroof .
I just need cross bars to be able to get my kayak on top .
I have found a few online but they all mount on to the door jamb and look like crap.
I would like to find a factory finish , flush mount .

·
Registered
194 Posts
The way the GT was designed, the only option is the door jam clamp cross bars. Even the Factory OEM option is a Thule crossbar with door bar clamps.

Hyundai cheaped out in that aspect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks
So if I am understanding correctly there are no factory installed mounting points on the roof?
Is this the case as well for the GT with out pano sunroof ?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok thanks
So if I am understanding correctly there are no factory installed mounting points on the roof?
Is this the case as well for the GT with out pano sunroof ?
Correct. I have a non-pano GT. No attachment points. Hyundai doesn't even offer crossbars on their site as an accessory for the GT. The dealer will order Thule bars for you since Thule is the company that makes their OEM options.

I haven't settled on a set yet, but I am going to get one of the eBay/Amazon no-name options since I only use the bars for the occasional run to the hardware store or take the bikes around for a ride.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you're feeling a bit like a trailblazer, the EU manual does mention optional slots installed in the 'rails' beside the panoramic sunroof. You might be able to source the rail or something from an EU market.

In the manual, it's in section 3-149 under Exterior Features subtitled mounting brackets for roof carriers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe late to the party but I just posted about this on a different roof rack thread a few minutes ago. Here are a couple pics on my GTS.
Thanks for posting pictures. I have been considering about ordering this but for around $500 i wanted to make sure it looks good. Can you post a direct head and rear shot? I want to see how far 53" blade sticks beyond the roof line. I dont want to hit my eye on it :nerd: I like the flush look. Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
As you will see it sticks out some but I haven't hit them yet and I am 6'3". I would like them to be a little more flush and I actually considered cutting them down, I just haven't yet.
Thanks for the quick reply with pics. I see they make the 47" blade, do you think that be two short? That be about 3" shorter per side and might miss the podium foot? Thanks again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply with pics. I see they make the 47" blade, do you think that be two short? That be about 3" shorter per side and might miss the podium foot? Thanks again
No problem. I will measure in the morning tomorrow and let you know, but I bet it's close.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
So there is just over 3" on the front bars and a little bit more on the rear bars but, the ends have a part that lifts up so you can access the slots for certain types of racks that I don't think would clear on the underside if you went with the shorter bar. I can take pics when it's lighter outside if you want, it's still dark at work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So there is just over 3" on the front bars and a little bit more on the rear bars but, the ends have a part that lifts up so you can access the slots for certain types of racks that I don't think would clear on the underside if you went with the shorter bar. I can take pics when it's lighter outside if you want, it's still dark at work.
Hi, So from the foot pedestal on the left to the right of the roof, how much of a distance is there between where the bar needs to attach? Also you said that there might not be enough room on the underside of the bar because of the end cover slot. Isn't underside of the bar only need to fit onto the foot pedestal? The top slot is where you would add other attachment to, such as bike rack, snow board and etc..? I guess if I buy the 47" bar to test and if don't fit I can always return it. Thanks for your help... still undecided about spending that much $$, if I can't get the flush look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will take some pics tomorrow of the underside of the bars and how they connect and the end piece that moves. I might make more sense with pictures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So hopefully you can see but there is some hardware underneath that I believe would be enough to make the shorter bars a little too short, especially the front bar. The car is narrower in the back and I think the shorter bar would actually work there but I doubt it would up front.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
So hopefully you can see but there is some hardware underneath that I believe would be enough to make the shorter bars a little too short, especially the front bar. The car is narrower in the back and I think the shorter bar would actually work there but I doubt it would up front.
Thanks for the detail pic. It does look like the 47" would be to short maybe if they made 50" might be better. Will have to wait till more product are made for the GTS tech.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the detail pic. It does look like the 47" would be to short maybe if they made 50" might be better. Will have to wait till more product are made for the GTS tech.
No problem. I couldn't wait, leaving for a race about 850 miles away in 28 days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Whispbar is a Yakima brand. You can find them in the U.S.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts