Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the beginning of summer I added a yakima roof rack to santa fe. Railgrab setup, fairing, and two king cobra bike holders. My MPG dropped to 17mpg on the highway. Removed rack, mpg back up.

Just curious to those with the factory cross bars or a another roof rack, did you see a big drop in mpg?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven't added the rack to my SFS yet but I suffered pretty dramatic MPG loss on my last car. Where were you at before the rack?

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I believe it, I lose up to 25% Hwy with roof rack on Elantra. City has no change.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Roof racks are notorious mileage killers. That is why it kills me when I see people driving around with them year round not being used. Way to waste fuel and money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I expected a little drop, but not that much. I installed a hitch and a yakima holdup. MPG is back to normal.

I was curious if the factory cross bars caused a drop.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have the stock ones, they look like they wouldn't cause much and a lot of brand new SantaFe's have them and don't state otherwise.

I will remove them and run without to see.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I went back and looked at the numbers from my previous car. It suffered substantially with a roof rack. I love the versatility but that's crazy. Looks like a hitch is in my future.

·
Registered
41 Posts
At the beginning of summer I added a yakima roof rack to santa fe. Railgrab setup, fairing, and two king cobra bike holders. My MPG dropped to 17mpg on the highway. Removed rack, mpg back up.

Just curious to those with the factory cross bars or a another roof rack, did you see a big drop in mpg?
The King Cobra's are your culprit. Those things are HUGE air dams. I have the Thule Aeroblades with Rockymounts bike trays and only lost 1mpg hwy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts