Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
I have a 2011 santafe 2.4l. I just bought a rear view camera from eBay. I found I have to wire the 12v dc line to somewhere incide the car. Then I found I can easily open the roof light panel. There is a power plug for the roof lights. There are 5 lines on the plug. My questions are:
1. Is that safe to use it power the monitor?
2. How I can tell which line is 12V or ground ?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I'm wondering which light you really mean, but am guessing you mean the map lights up front by the windshield? That has a 5 pin connection. If so...

Pin 1 (green) is the +12 to the assembly. Pin 2 (black) is the ground to the assembly. The connector is an odd one with some strange numbering, but the wire colors listed above should keep you honest.

All of the lights in the interior (the ones in the doors, map lights, rear cargo area, visors) all run off the same 10A fuse, so I'm hoping your device isn't going to be drawing a whole lot of current when you have everything lit up with a door open. What are the specs on it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
You should have 12v right at the mirror harness. There should be a constant 12v (red if I remember correctly) and a keyed 12v (orange I think).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wondering which light you really mean, but am guessing you mean the map lights up front by the windshield? That has a 5 pin connection. If so...

Pin 1 (green) is the +12 to the assembly. Pin 2 (black) is the ground to the assembly. The connector is an odd one with some strange numbering, but the wire colors listed above should keep you honest.

All of the lights in the interior (the ones in the doors, map lights, rear cargo area, visors) all run off the same 10A fuse, so I'm hoping your device isn't going to be drawing a whole lot of current when you have everything lit up with a door open. What are the specs on it?
Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, I meant the map light up front like the door light.
The device is shipped without manual

bay.com/itm/Car-4-3-TFT-LCD-Color-Monitor-Auto-Reverse-Rear

If I should be worried about the fuse, what else power supply I cn think of?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should have 12v right at the mirror harness. There should be a constant 12v (red if I remember correctly) and a keyed 12v (orange I think).
Is that easy to operate? I am not that handy to crack stuff:)
How to reach it?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Am unable to get that page to fire up.

It's unlikely that something like this will pull down much power assuming it has solid state backlighting, so I doubt it will present any problems. Any way you can point me to a link there or anywhere else that describes the product?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am unable to get that page to fire up.

It's unlikely that something like this will pull down much power assuming it has solid state backlighting, so I doubt it will present any problems. Any way you can point me to a link there or anywhere else that describes the product?
I just register the account, so I can't put link there
I will try make it text
eBay + /itm/Car-4-3-TFT-LCD-Color-Monitor-Auto-Reverse-Rear-View-Mirror-Backup-Camera-DVD-/121184704790?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item1c372bd916

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
OK! Got it at
Car 4 3" TFT LCD Color Monitor Auto Reverse Rear View Mirror Backup Camera DVD | eBay

I hope you get what you're expecting, though. That doesn't look like any of the usual 4.3" TFT (per the description) screens, and in the description, it says "Easy installation, without damaging any parts of the car, clip on the original mirror". But what they show in the picture looks like a whole rear view mirror assembly.

Here's what a 'typical' Chinese 4.3" backup camera screen looks like:
Amazon.com: 4.3"TFT LCD Rearview Color Car Backup Monitor for Car Reverse Camera DVD VCR CCTV: Car Electronics

I'll be curious to see what shows up in your mailbox.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks canderson,
It is really helpful. Now it works well. I wired the monitor into one of the bulbs on upfront.
(The camera on the back is wired in the bulb of reverse light. ) It is not prefect for monitor since I have to turn on light to make the power on (I can power it up all the time, but the wireless transmitter is a little warm when it is always powered up).

Is there wire for reverse light on front dashboard that I can reach? so I can power the monitor up by reverse light switch as the camera?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Interesting question, and depends upon what mirror you had installed previously. If you had the 'fancy' mirror, there is already a backup signal up there on the connector for the mirror (pin 2, blue wire in the middle, on the 3 pin connector). That pin goes to +12V when you're in reverse. Might be an easy solution for you in a very convenient place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting question, and depends upon what mirror you had installed previously. If you had the 'fancy' mirror, there is already a backup signal up there on the connector for the mirror (pin 2, blue wire in the middle, on the 3 pin connector). That pin goes to +12V when you're in reverse. Might be an easy solution for you in a very convenient place.
Nope, my mirror doesn't have any pin on it. I have to figure out somewhere else under the dash I guess.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
So you have no power at all to your mirror? Bummer. Well, all is not lost. Now tell me if you have a HomeLink garage door opener up there. We could grab a reverse signal from there as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
back up camera

Hi Candererson, I saw your old thread regarding the pre-wired mirror harness. I want to know is there any pre-wired video signal output. Cause I am going to install a similar clip on type wired review monitor for the backup camera

Thanks

Tony
:wink:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
? Video Input ? To send where -- an in-dash nav system? No, they didn't anticipate that. Nothing like that up at the mirror at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, forget to tell you my Santy is 2011 basic 2.4L. If there is a pre-installed harness then I don't need to run the wiring.

Tony

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Sorry - can't find 2011 'basic' mirror without remote buttons. Hope it's same as 2010 basic mirror. Match them up to be sure.

3 pins on 2010 mirror: Gray (1=power), Blue (2=reverse signal), Black (3=ground)

Blue 2 is indeed +12 when indicating that reverse is selected.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts