·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2017 SF LWB AWD
15 Posts
Have you upgraded your your springs because the cargo carrier out the rear hitch is going to make the rear sag. I installed the low oem cross bars on my Pano roof Santa Fe but I haven't installed any kind of roof top carrier

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i have not upgrade my rear springs I do have pano also. Gonna give that 64x39” roof basket a try

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I would go with the roof basket! I don't like it in the back, always afraid of getting hit from behind!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a 64x39 roof basket on oem cross bars. Seems like oem crossbar has high profile. What do you think btw i do have pano roof

·
Registered
25 Posts
We've been using a set of Yakima rail riders, which work well. Does well with a Yakima box, ski racks and kayaks. Makes a lot more room in the car for sure. Not sure how much it would worry me if we had the sunroof...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I started off with a roof top basket but was disappointment with the MPG hit so I switched to the rear cargo tray. I would NOT recommend putting heavy items on it, though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would NOT recommend putting heavy items on it, though.
One could possibly try reinforcing the attachment bracket by welding more beams onto it.

Or one could simply opt to tow a very small cargo trailer instead. I mean the hitch is already there...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't have a pick with cargo box, but here is Yakima rack with kayak /
canoe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey guys i have the factory crossbars for my 2017 santa fe XL.
I am considering getting a hitch cargo carrier or roof cargo carrier for my upcoming trip.
Anyone installed a cargo carrier on stock OEM crossbar? it seems like it is a high profile crossbar.

Here is my '16 LWB with pano roof. Yak Skybox 16 and Curt 5 bike hitch rack. No issues with the box, the only thing is the adjustable cross bar clamps on the Yak have to be spread to their absolute fullest distance in order to just barely match up with shortest distance spread of the front and back crossbars on the SF. The Curt bike rack bounces just a little, but nothing you can do about that since it's just the nature of it's length and weight on it.

Throwing my 17' canoe on the factory crossbars this weekend for a trip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is my '16 LWB with pano roof. Yak Skybox 16 and Curt 5 bike hitch rack. No issues with the box, the only thing is the adjustable cross bar clamps on the Yak have to be spread to their absolute fullest distance in order to just barely match up with shortest distance spread of the front and back crossbars on the SF. The Curt bike rack bounces just a little, but nothing you can do about that since it's just the nature of it's length and weight on it.

Throwing my 17' canoe on the factory crossbars this weekend for a trip.

View attachment 449745

View attachment 449747
Try wrapping the draw bar with some electrical tape to create a snug fit. Eliminated a lot of noise from our hitch when towing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try wrapping the draw bar with some electrical tape to create a snug fit. Eliminated a lot of noise from our hitch when towing.
Thanks madcity! I'll try that.

Question, you said you use Yak Rail Riders. Hard to tell from your pic, but those look like Yak Lowriders. I have those from my wife's previous Subaru, but didn't think they would with a flush rail like on our SFs. Can you post a better pic? I'd love to get some small youth kayaks up there with my canoe on my longer Yak round tubes. Just the canoe sits on the stock towers (1st time hauling it this past weekend for a trip).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry for the typo, thos are Rail Grabbers. Can be slight challenge to get on if accessories are positioned wrong.

Thanks madcity! I'll try that.

Question, you said you use Yak Rail Riders. Hard to tell from your pic, but those look like Yak Lowriders. I have those from my wife's previous Subaru, but didn't think they would with a flush rail like on our SFs. Can you post a better pic? I'd love to get some small youth kayaks up there with my canoe on my longer Yak round tubes. Just the canoe sits on the stock towers (1st time hauling it this past weekend for a trip).

View attachment 449960

·
Registered
25 Posts
Better pics while installed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts