Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in this thread I will show you all about my interior mods. My car is white and black so I was bored of the gray interior. It will be a black interior. I’m changing all the old bulbs with custom LEDs. I will be adding power windows too. Maybe Ill swap the speakers and add some hidden LEDs for show. I’m also swapping the green cluster LEDs to blue. That is so far what Im planning to do, but if I came up with some other idea we’ll see.

I will show you my progress with lots of pictures as I go. This will probably be a 3-4 month project because I don’t have a lot of time when going to school.

This is how it looks like

I don’t have anything on the rear right now.

Im using this paint only. It’s the best paint Ive come across for this. I painted my shiftknob at the beginning of the year with it to see how good it lasts. Ive tried to chip it with my nails or scratch it but it holds awesome and looks great. Im using it for the seats and the carpet too.

Custom LED 3rd brake light is coming too pretty awesome :D.

These will be the trunk lights now.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im using these leds for the cluster, they are so small because I bought them like that by mistake, but they are awesome! Not a single hot spot on my clock because they have a 120 degrees angle. They were a little too bright and I don’t have a dimmer on my car but I did a “dimming” effect that I will show you later that its pretty simple and works good.

Im using the smallest led on the picture and above it is the stock led.

So this will be my interior thread and I will show you more pics as I go on the project. All the pictures are taken by me.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Great job Rondy, just show with some thought and research anything is possible. There are products out there for just about anything you just have to take the time to think about how to do it.

I find there are 3 different people when it comes to customizing a ride.

1. Those that won't do anything unless it's cheap$ or everyone has been doing it. ( This is okay since most of these people just don't have the cash)
2. Those that will buy what ever is out there and even spend to get someone else to make it. ( These people are the reason why group #1 can buy stuff)
3. Those that design and implement an ideal about something and than get others interested in it. (The tuning markets wouldn't be anywhere if it wasn't for these people.)
4. A small amount of people that just don't take the time to think about what they are buying or building. (These are the Ricers or the people that just should customized a ride)

So where they did a good job or screwed up but are willing to show their learned lessons to others. It's important to keep pushing them to do more and better.

Rondy is a class 3 person, There isn't much out there and some of it does cost a lot, so he goes out and does it anyways. After a lot of research into ways to do it and products that can do it for a lot less.
My headlight did cost me over $1000.00 but in respect up here in Canada it would have cost me the same amount just to have the HID's installed, so to me it was a great investment. Even though some would say it was too expensive for my car. Cost doesn't matter when you do it because you like it.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Komptek @ Apr 11 2009, 12:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=228193
Great job Rondy, just show with some thought and research anything is possible. There are products out there for just about anything you just have to take the time to think about how to do it.

I find there are 3 different people when it comes to customizing a ride.

1. Those that won't do anything unless it's cheap$ or everyone has been doing it. ( This is okay since most of these people just don't have the cash)
2. Those that will buy what ever is out there and even spend to get someone else to make it. ( These people are the reason why group #1 can buy stuff)
3. Those that design and implement an ideal about something and than get others interested in it. (The tuning markets wouldn't be anywhere if it wasn't for these people.)
4. A small amount of people that just don't take the time to think about what they are buying or building. (These are the Ricers or the people that just should customized a ride)

So where they did a good job or screwed up but are willing to show their learned lessons to others. It's important to keep pushing them to do more and better.

Rondy is a class 3 person, There isn't much out there and some of it does cost a lot, so he goes out and does it anyways. After a lot of research into ways to do it and products that can do it for a lot less.
My headlight did cost me over $1000.00 but in respect up here in Canada it would have cost me the same amount just to have the HID's installed, so to me it was a great investment. Even though some would say it was too expensive for my car. Cost doesn't matter when you do it because you like it.

Thank you :clap:

yeah the first time I got on the forums I didnt know anything lol but google is your friend :w00t: and the things Ive learned I learned them by doing research, nobody is going to come and tell you how to do it you have to found it yourself and study some basics and be willing to screw up. you have to be very careful though not to screw anything but anyway you have to be willing to screw it, it can cost you some extra money too learn, but what you learn is priceless. if you keep yourself positive your going to get it sooner or later.

btw anybody know the size of the 4 door front door speakers??? :p

I think the rear speakers are 6x8????

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (liquid_02 @ Apr 11 2009, 09:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=228296
Does the fabric get crusty or crunchy at all after you've sprayed it? Looks actually very good, looks just like the factory black interior
i second this question. I tried the same on a door panel on my last car and did not like results at all. It looked nice but felt very rough.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (liquid_02 @ Apr 11 2009, 08:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=228296
Does the fabric get crusty or crunchy at all after you've sprayed it? Looks actually very good, looks just like the factory black interior
it does get a little bit stiffer, it does change the feeling, its not like stock, but not in the way to make it uncomfortable. it looks like factory black in person too.

just don't over spray, do thin coats and it gets better.

I liked the results, however, there is also another way to do this with upholstery paint.

I bought 8 of these cans. The formula of this paint is water based and its not toxic. The seats felt almost as stock after it, but it is more messy and takes much more time to dry. Each can is more expensive and I tried them but you need A LOT seriously a lot of paint to achieve the black that duplicolors vinyl and fabric gives you. So I decided to do everything with the duplicolor which I can buy directly here.

edit: forgot to mention the rear carpet did get very rough after the paint the seats just a little bit stiffer.

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (Komptek @ Apr 12 2009, 01:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=228337
ANything painted will feel stiff at first but will get soft in time. Use that stuff in my older Accent, got soft after about a month and felt like OEM.
did you have problems with it wearing off onto people's clothing? I did when I used the duplicolor fabric spray on my door panel, and this was 2 weeks after it was applied.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Apr 12 2009, 05:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=228354
This is a stupid question, but after a LOT of use, is the fabric paint going to wear off and show the original color?
Let me answer this in a year :grin:

QUOTE (fonque @ Apr 12 2009, 09:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=228370
did you have problems with it wearing off onto people's clothing? I did when I used the duplicolor fabric spray on my door panel, and this was 2 weeks after it was applied.

I dont think so. It doesnt even come into your hands if you rubber after 20 min of being sprayed.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (JMuise @ Apr 12 2009, 11:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=228397
how hard it is to change the LED's? I want to change mine i really hate that green lol

Ive just change the clock. If you know how to solder its very easy. Once in the circuit board it took me less than 5 minutes to de-solder and sold the new ones.

I think the only risk is to remove the needles and put them back on just like they were and not to damage any trim.

·
3,736 Posts
QUOTE (fonque @ Apr 12 2009, 10:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=228370

<ot>

LOL, I can't help but think about the Adobe, a car made entirely from clay that was in a Saturday Night Live commercial back in the late 80's or early 90's.  The car was $199 and marketed as an alternative for those who couldn't afford an Excel or Yugo. Even the seats were clay -- they showed a shot of a couple people dressed in white that just got out of the car..  Their whole backsides were red from the clay. :banana:  I know there's a lot of youngsters around here so that was probably way before you're time.  But it was hilarious.  :laughing:

</ot> lol

Anyway, nice job, rondy.  It's neat how it still shows the darker patterns in the seat fabric.  Many, many years ago I dyed a lot of the plastic trim in my old Monte that was faded, also used it on the top of the rear seat that was also faded.  It turned out pretty good and lasted for as long as I had the car.  A little stiff on the fabric but thankfully it wasn't on a spot you'd sit.

I look forward to seeing the trunk light and CHMSL LED conversion. :thumbsup: 

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nice job .
I used the Duplicolor on the interior parts of my old zx2 with great results.It did not wear as well on the seats after a year or so, had a kinda grey fuzzy look (is was red paint)to it from wear.Tha panels however I clearcoated and they still looked excellent after 2 years.The upholstery in the zx2 however was more worn to start with and also more prone to fuzzing than the material in our accents.To avoid the temporary stiffness they reccommend brushing it with a fabric brush as soon as sprayed.There was no problem with dye transfer though.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts