Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my rod bearings went out of the blue. Car stalled and I had to have it towed to prevent further damage.
Hyundai has recalled all models but mine for this exact issue.
When I called hyundai (Abbotsford) they told me it's a known issue and it will be covered.
Later that day they called me back saying I'm 18k over my power train warranty and that I'll have to foot the bill for the engine replacement ($6000)
Is there anything I can do? Hyundai says its a known issue meaning they knew it would happen but decided not to recall it.
I still owe for the car and don't have $6000 for a new engine.
The other odd part is there was no check engine light prior to or after the mechanical failure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Contact Hyundai corporate and start contacting the media. They really don't like bad press.
Hey I've opened a case with hyundai as well as contacted consumers matter and the legal team that had made the original class action lawsuit. Im at a loss right now with no vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are trying to put it through the goodwill department. Haven't heard much else since they pulled the engine. I submitted maintenance and extended warranty records

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update hyundai verified it is my rod bearing and premature engine failure but is dropping the goodwill program and closing the door on me. This all come after they did the taredown and submitted my documents. Not sure what has gone wrong but I'm very upset hyundai is ok with their engines lasting 100k. Not a reputation id want.
So now I'm stuck with a loan for 20,000 for a dead car. I'm wondering if their are other with my issue maybe we can get this to the media 🤔

·
Registered
2016 Elantra GT and 2011 Elantra Touring
633 Posts
After tearing down the engine and examining it, what did they say caused the failure? Engine wear? No other fault?

·
Registered
633 Posts
If the local paper or TV station has a consumer help segment/personality I'd contact them. These companies don't like bad press and seem to develop a conscience when their actions are in the news. You will have to provide perfect maintenance records. Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys I need help. So I managed to get my warranty reinstated. New motor was put in. Now my car sounds like a dying diesel and hyundai says there's nothing wrong.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You want to make sure the sound is not from something unrelated, like the exhaust banging against the frame. Once you are sure it is the engine, e-mail the video with good sound of the problem to whoever it was that was on your side to get you this far.
If you don't mind my asking, how did you get this far? Head office help you? A lawyer? Plain and simple stubbornness and tenacity?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's the engine I have the video it has been supplied to those who need it.
I got this far by pushing the right buttons. Now I'm stuck and can't find any aid.
The sound is coming from the belt side and is a loud rapid knock. My issue is it comes on when it wants to and I have no idea how to reproduce it when needed.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You are already thousands of dollars ahead. Spending a hundred to get a good professional evaluation may be the way to go from here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes we'll I have paid $2500 out of pocket. The professional need to see the issue not a video. Again I have no idea how to replicate it. It happens daily but hyundai had it for a week and said the issue doesn't exsist. They sent me a video of their quite car and claimed the motors sound the same. Wish I could show you guys and get your thoughts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Do you have MS onedrive or Google Drive.. post them there and then post a link to the video..

Yes we'll I have paid $2500 out of pocket. The professional need to see the issue not a video. Again I have no idea how to replicate it. It happens daily but hyundai had it for a week and said the issue doesn't exsist. They sent me a video of their quite car and claimed the motors sound the same. Wish I could show you guys and get your thoughts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like another call to corporate (and a lawyer, potentially) is in order for the situation. No decently minded technician would let that back out on the streets. Clearly, this dealership has not shown the proper effort and service for you and you're ending up with the short end of the straw.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts