Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
we are a retired older couple. we bought a 2014 hyundai sonata on 28th of october. every thing worked fine. when we test drove we didn't notice the road noise. but yesterday we did notice it and it is unbearable. it sounds like it is coming from the front. i called the dealer and told them this is too much. we asked if we could return the car. we only had it 3 days. the dealer says he can fix it. we think it is a design problem. we just sold our 2009 sonata which was a very good car.the question is will they give us our money back or fix it?
this is new to us. what is your opinions?
thank you
pothound

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
There are laws in certain states dealing with a cool off period. You should quickly research those that pertain to your state.

And I doubt you would get 100% back anyway. Most likely you will be steered to a fix. And I agree with yefeng; road noise is large bucket and very generic. Being more specific would allow others to help.

I don't think its a design problem. But since you provided little information, its a subjective response.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can look up "lemon laws" in your area but that would be a rough road (no pun intended) based on road noise alone.

Many of us here at this forum aren't satisfied with the road noise but I don't recall anyone saying that it is even close to being unbearable. Some people have said that it is better than their previous Toyota, Honda, etc...

Some people have undertaken the relatively big job of putting in their own sound insulation but that entails removing the seats and taking the doors apart. But they said that it did make a big difference.

I personally notice some stretches of road where it is noisy but on good roads it is just fine. I think the wind noise is pretty low also.

Good luck with the dealer!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
You can look up "lemon laws" in your area but that would be a rough road (no pun intended) based on road noise alone.

Many of us here at this forum aren't satisfied with the road noise but I don't recall anyone saying that it is even close to being unbearable. Some people have said that it is better than their previous Toyota, Honda, etc...

Some people have undertaken the relatively big job of putting in their own sound insulation but that entails removing the seats and taking the doors apart. But they said that it did make a big difference.

I personally notice some stretches of road where it is noisy but on good roads it is just fine. I think the wind noise is pretty low also.

Good luck with the dealer!
Three days old and lemon law? No way. Not even possible as he has not even given the dealer a chance to look at the car for a solution.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I think most road noise is a combination of tires and road surface. My car is very quiet on some roads and a bit noisy on other stretches of road. Consumer Reports is always dinging cars for road noise. I think it's pretty subjective as to how much is too much and what car you came from. My last car was a 12 year old econo-box and my 2012 Accent SE is for me, a smooth, quiet ride by comparison. I don't think you will get your money refunded but perhaps trade up to a more luxury model. Either way good luck, as others say, perhaps different tires will solve the noise issue, cheers.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Change the tires to some good low noise tires. More than likely you have the stock Kumho KH25 tires which are junk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for the quick response
the road noise is loud and coming from the front. it sounds like it is coming from road to cabin. wheel wells? tires? could there be an opening under the dash. it is too annoying. our 2009 sonata was quieter. anyone having the same experience?
pothound

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
thank you for the quick response
the road noise is loud and coming from the front. it sounds like it is coming from road to cabin. wheel wells? tires? could there be an opening under the dash. it is too annoying. our 2009 sonata was quieter. anyone having the same experience?
pothound
I think you need to reread the previous six posts. People have addressed your thread including experience.

My 2011, built in 2010, does not exhibit road noise issues. I don't think its a design flaw.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
pothound, is the noise the same on ALL roads or only some?

And on your old Sonata did you ever replace the tires?

I remember when I just bought my car I had the stock Kumho tires on 17" wheels and it was pretty loud. Now I since changed to different wheels and the tires I use are actually very quiet so I barely hear any road noise... the only noise I hear is when I go over bumps

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My 2012 Sonata can be very noisy as well depending on road surface and it borders on being unacceptable. But it is the tires on my car plain and simple.

You can check that out with your own car by driving on different types of road surfaces to see if the noise changes. If it does then you can be pretty sure it is the tires. Our board is loaded with negative postings on tire noise so it is a well known issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There's something. To be said. For using. Complete sentences. Please cut. Your use. Of the. Period at. Least in. Half.

LOL.

But seriously, I too have pretty bad road noise, and it's partly due to tires and partly due to design. For example, my winter tires are WAY worse and my summer tires are better; but both still leave a wind noise that drives me bananas. The suggestion regarding the sound deadening project is a solid one, and I think I'm going to go down that road myself.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,285 Posts
Pothound, check your tire pressure. Most members here have had their cars delivered with all 4 tires way over the stated pressure. My own car was delivered with 50PSI in each tire when the car only calls for about 35PSI.

Dealers/factory were doing this to make the cars "sit" nicer while on the lot. I remember my test drive was quite loud and bumpy but after getting my own car and adjusting pressure, it was much better.

I have 18 in wheels so your pressure will be different. The sticker is located inside the driver door, its red and yellow. I would guess you should be 30 PSI max each tire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2011 Sonata also has awful tire/road noise, depending on the road surface. I'm still running the the cheap Kumho tires that came on the car just because I can.
When I do replace them, I plan to get either Bridgestone or Mitchellin Touring tires rated for low noise. I don't need speed rated tires. I gave 100 mph up 20 years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We just bought a new 2013 gls, it has the 16in Kumho's. Tire noise so far is my only complaint, depends on the surface but most are just fine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
First of all pothound, great forum name. 2nd not really sure the dealership can change the road noise without increasing the amount of sound insulation and installing quieter tires. These two solutions will cost them easily $1,000 and that is not going to happen. We all hate our factory tires, it does not matter the brand of car either, factory tires are awful.

Since you mention the front, there is a possibility that the front tires are just a bad set, a "square tire" that does not roll well. That maybe rotating the tires front to back may ID this problem, that could be a warranty like fix.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Road noise is common with sonata's. I drove a camry xle before purchasing this one and right away noticed the road noise compared to my quiet camry. It's not too bad. I guess it depends on what you're used to 1383344635172.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hyundai needs insulating material under neath period. Different tires are not going to deaden noise from water on the road splashing up under the carriage of the car.. I'm using the Elantra as a example for that is what I have. Bad road noise all around . I don't know about the other models. I'm just speaking about the Elantra. Ear plugs work. Other than that its one h--- of a car. No complaints.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Summary of your options:

I think it all boils down to this:

1) The factory tires should give a quiet ride on good roads. If they don't then give the dealer a chance to fix whatever problem he finds.

2) If you still aren't satisfied then get another opinion. You could consult your mechanic, a tire dealer or some other professional who can can give you an objective opinion.

3) Talk to the Hyundai dealer about your concerns and tell him what you've learned about the noise. Ask him what he can do to satisfy you.

4) Ask to speak with a Hyundai factory representative if you aren't satisfied with the dealer's plan.

If all else fails you could add a sound proofing material like Dynamat (available at car stereo shops) under the carpeting ...and perhaps quieter tires.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts